Singapore Expats

marble polishing

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

marble polishing

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:21 am

We had a few semi-minor wine accidents with the marble floor as the primary victim. Can anyone recommend some marble polishing service that would retouch the floor locally (in the places it is affected)?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:44 am

Just thinking out loud but I'm thinking some metal polish or even toothpaste could abrade tannin stains...but of course, all that rubbing can be troublesome.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:00 am

The problem is, a paste I'm not sure would remove the stain as marble is very porous so it would almost have to be a liquid as well to penetrate and neutralize the stain rather than abrading it off. But then again, I'm not an expert and have been debating whether to have my marble floors refinished (the whole flat with the exception of Baths & Kitchen are marble and could really use a re-polishing). Just the though of doing it scares me when I think of the mess it creates not counting the cost! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:09 pm

I have a marble polishing kit I bought already few years ago and it works by double action:
- it contains chalk like ingredients so basically calcium carbonate - analogy to the tooth paste is right
- it contains citric acid that works by dissolving some of the marble

This works but is VERY tedious even using a polishing disk with a driller or a sheet sander.
In our previous place we hired a contractor who did a good job but it was by grinding the whole floor out by ca 1 mm. Messy and expensive. Also in our previous location all the lifts had the marble floors and needed some regular restoration. This was clearly done by polishing the surface only and the effect was also good.
What I am hoping for is to find someone to remove the stained part (~0.2 - 0.4 mm should be enough) and than polish only this area or the whole LR if necessary.

Edited: not calcium carbonate, this would react with citric acid too. Could be some other stuff, magnesium or aluminium oxides for example.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 2:50 pm

Here's a novel idea: stain the whole floor and it will be part of the marbling effect. :cool:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 3:13 pm

You... barbarian! I would need like 2 bottles of wine to do this!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 3:49 pm

I didn't say to use wine.

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”