Singapore Expats Forum
 

Favourite Films

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Favourite Films

Post by BillyB » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 2:34 pm

This has likely been done, but I can't find anything on it and I was watching Shawshank Redemption the other night (for the 6/7th time) and thought why is this movie so hyped? It's actually extremely cliched and predictable.

So I thought it would be an interesting thread, and one close to my own heart, being a big movie fan.


Favourite Movies (Top 15) - The Godfather, Donnie Brasco, Gran Torino, One flew over the cuckoo's nest, Dark Knight, Leon, To kill a mockingbird, Snatch, Scarface, Good will hunting, Rain man, The Bourne Ultimatum (for the chase scene in London), Gone with the Wind, The Departed, Goodfellas.

And as a comedy side note - Coming to America, any Indiana Jones (except the last), Wall-e, Trading places, the goonies.......

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:05 pm

Coming to America, Billy you are a man after my own heart

The scene in the barber shop where they're talking about boxing is still one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

"Rocky Marciana was good, but compared to Joe Louis Rocky Marciana ain't sh*t

He beat Joe Louis's *ss

That's right he did whup Joe Louis's *ss

Joe Louis was 75 years old when he fought!"

Happy days
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:08 pm

JayCee wrote:Coming to America, Billy you are a man after my own heart

The scene in the barber shop where they're talking about boxing is still one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in a movie.

"Rocky Marciana was good, but compared to Joe Louis Rocky Marciana ain't sh*t

He beat Joe Louis's *ss

That's right he did whup Joe Louis's *ss

Joe Louis was 75 years old when he fought!"

Happy days
It's what sprung to mind when I thought about that film!! But there is so much comedy material in that film - I always piss myself each time I watch it. It was probably the high point in Eddie Murphy's multiple character performances!!

P.S. Just let your soul glow

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:08 pm

I know it's cheesy but Shawshamk redemption was a fantastic film, one of only 2 films I've ever sat down to and not moved or said a word until it finished.

I loved the dark knight too, shame was happened to Heath Ledger he was brilliant in that film.

I like pulp fiction too, the only Tarantino film worth watching IMO.

For comedy, other than any 80s Eddie Murphy movie I'm a big Kevin Smith fan (until he went soft anyway), in particular Clerks and more recently Clerks 2.

I'm going to see transformers 3 in 3D this weekend, someone I doubt it will live up to the standards of those above
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:13 pm

JayCee wrote:I know it's cheesy but Shawshamk redemption was a fantastic film, one of only 2 films I've ever sat down to and not moved or said a word until it finished.

I loved the dark knight too, shame was happened to Heath Ledger he was brilliant in that film.

I like pulp fiction too, the only Tarantino film worth watching IMO.

For comedy, other than any 80s Eddie Murphy movie I'm a big Kevin Smith fan (until he went soft anyway), in particular Clerks and more recently Clerks 2.

I'm going to see transformers 3 in 3D this weekend, someone I doubt it will live up to the standards of those above
I used to love Richard Pryor, but he was pretty toned down in a lot of his films. Kevin Smith is quite funny in stand-up but, you're right, his films are pretty lame.

On a side note, I love Curb your enthusiasm. The 7th series went a bit sideways, but the first 6 were some of the best written / improvised and tight comedy I've seen. And the episode themes are just so wrong too - so that makes it even better!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8338
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Favourite Films

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:14 pm

BillyB wrote:, the goonies.......
yeah, the 80's!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Re: Favourite Films

Post by BillyB » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 3:19 pm

nakatago wrote:
BillyB wrote:, the goonies.......
yeah, the 80's!
It was on the other week on Starhub - went straight into the hard drive!! My girlfriend had never heard of it and didn't like it!!

Cocktail, Top Gun, Raiders of the lost Ark, Platoon, E.T, Scarface, Return of the Jedi, Back to the future, Ghostbusters.........what an era!!!

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Post by taxico » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 6:12 pm

Airplane!

Image

Image

Image

Image

and more recently, Jackass 3D.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by longstebe » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 6:59 pm

Debbie does Dallas was a classic. :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 7:42 pm

Apocalypse Now

A story within a story within a story.

In fact my missus calls it 'my war film'. Er, I do watch it quite often. But that completely misses that it is pornographically anti-war. An exploration of might and right, hypocracy, good and evil.

Anyone who considers it simply a war film has only scratched the 1st of 20 layers.

(The Spectator in a poll last year voted it the 2nd greatest film ever made. Quite a surprise for such a high-brow mag (it took some flak for that!!). But then again.... maybe not, and I'm just in good company :))

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:32 pm

JR8 wrote:Apocalypse Now

A story within a story within a story.

In fact my missus calls it 'my war film'. Er, I do watch it quite often. But that completely misses that it is pornographically anti-war. An exploration of might and right, hypocracy, good and evil.

Anyone who considers it simply a war film has only scratched the 1st of 20 layers.

(The Spectator in a poll last year voted it the 2nd greatest film ever made. Quite a surprise for such a high-brow mag (it took some flak for that!!). But then again.... maybe not, and I'm just in good company :))
Interesting choice. A bit trippy and disjointed in places for me, but I guess that was Copolla's intentions and, to a certain extent, his style. I'm tempted to re-watch it as the last time I saw it was about 8 years ago.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:51 pm

BillyB wrote:
JR8 wrote:Apocalypse Now

A story within a story within a story.

In fact my missus calls it 'my war film'. Er, I do watch it quite often. But that completely misses that it is pornographically anti-war. An exploration of might and right, hypocracy, good and evil.

Anyone who considers it simply a war film has only scratched the 1st of 20 layers.

(The Spectator in a poll last year voted it the 2nd greatest film ever made. Quite a surprise for such a high-brow mag (it took some flak for that!!). But then again.... maybe not, and I'm just in good company :))
Interesting choice. A bit trippy and disjointed in places for me, but I guess that was Copolla's intentions and, to a certain extent, his style. I'm tempted to re-watch it as the last time I saw it was about 8 years ago.

I watched 'The Boys from Brazil' last week after a gap of maybe 20 years The choreography is hideous! And that was regarded at the time as a classic.

Apocalypse Now holds up, and is a legend. Watch the Directors Redux version if you have 3 hours to spare. Mighty.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 7:46 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz3Cc7wl ... E4D491821D
Apocalypse Now..Ride Of The Valkyries

That's a major scene. I mean just look at it. Most of the Philippine air-force leased for 9 months. But look at the choreography.... the fly-by scenes, can you imagine trying to synchronise that?

I think that's why AN was at the time the most expensive film ever made. Today, I honestly don't think they could make it. Barring in a computer, back then it was real.

That's a big scene but to be honest it is the smaller and quieter scenes that mean more to me.

But all in all it's a hell of a film.

Barri
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun, 29 May 2011 5:45 pm

Post by Barri » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 2:51 am

hmm Top movies:

apocalypse now
battle royale "Batoru rowaiaru"
Dune
the road home
vidocq
brother (2000)with kitano
star wars
the gods must be crazy
star trek
spirited away
the good the bad and the ugly
forrest gump
Dick
full metal jacket
Kurôzu zero
tarentino
crimson rivers

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 7:57 am

JR8 wrote:Apocalypse Now
The opening scene with Martin Sheen in Bangkok with 'The End' playing in the background is the best combination of setting and sound in 125 years of moving making.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests