Singapore Expats Forum

NUS student (PR) -- Please advise me on PR renewel

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
save-earth

NUS student (PR) -- Please advise me on PR renewel

Postby save-earth » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:12 pm

Dear brothers and sisters,

I am a student studying in NUS and I have been studying in Singapore for 7 year. I obtained PR status in November 2007 and the term is 5 years. I am participating in entrepreneur programme and I can only graduate in December 2012 (my PR will be expired then). As such, may I renew my PR before I get my employment? Because I really want to work in Singapore and contribute to nation building here (: because I like the friendliness and humbleness of the nation and her people (:

Thank you so much and have a great day (:
Don't be afraid of darkness, because light is not far away! Remain cheerful and grateful for everything God blesses us (:

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:20 pm

You've been here 7 years studying??? Have you ever considered getting out into the real world and getting a job?

I would imagine your REP (not your PR, that doesn't expire) will be renewed as they must have given it to you when you were a student too, but don't quote me on that
I HAVE MASTERS!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:23 pm

JayCee wrote:You've been here 7 years studying??? Have you ever considered getting out into the real world and getting a job?

Maybe the OP is only 21 years old

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:27 pm

Saint wrote:
JayCee wrote:You've been here 7 years studying??? Have you ever considered getting out into the real world and getting a job?

Do they let 14 year olds into NUS then?
I HAVE MASTERS!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:29 pm

JayCee wrote:
Saint wrote:

The OP says been studying in Singapore for 7 years not 7 years at NUS.

save-earth

Postby save-earth » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:43 pm

Saint wrote:
JayCee wrote:
Saint wrote:

The OP says been studying in Singapore for 7 years not 7 years at NUS.

true (: i started from secondary 3 and I have been interning at varios places during school holidays. But Singapore's education is excellent and I thought it's only when I finishes my bachelor, then I can start to contribute to Singapore as much as possible. Sorry if what I did insulted anybody. Erm, REP is?

oh yes, I was invited to become a PR when I was in JC year one.
Don't be afraid of darkness, because light is not far away! Remain cheerful and grateful for everything God blesses us (:

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:58 pm

If you'd have read any of the posts you would've noticed that REP is Re-Entry-Permit. Your PR doesn't expire. Your REP does.

You have more than 12 months to worry about this question and things may have changed by then. My suggestion - make sure you have employment secured before you apply for your REP renewal (as you graduate 1 month later this shouldn't be a problem). ICA should understand that this is your first job and you have been studying, so salary and other items will probably not weigh so heavily on the application. If you can't find a job by the renewal time then you should go and re-apply anyway and if they don't like that you're unemployed, ask for a 6 month extension to give you time to find a job (this has happened on initial PR applications), but don't give that as your first option.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 6:47 pm

Your PR was offered due to your continuous education, living and schooling here. Moreover you are in the NUS completing your tertiary. You are of different category of PRs. Do not worry about your REP renewal. It will be renewed. If you are worried, go to ICA and try renewing it 6 months prior your REP due date. From memories, you can do it by then.
Relax.................
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

appleorange

Postby appleorange » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 5:50 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Your PR was offered due to your continuous education, living and schooling here. Moreover you are in the NUS completing your tertiary. You are of different category of PRs. Do not worry about your REP renewal. It will be renewed. If you are worried, go to ICA and try renewing it 6 months prior your REP due date. From memories, you can do it by then.
Relax.................

M S,

Do you mean to say that PRCs with a degree stand a very high chance of receiving the PR status?

I have a situation like this: my girlfriend's been in Singapore for about 9 years now, and she's been studying most of the time (since secondary 1). She's now working at a hospital (1.5 years contract) with a Diploma from one of the local polytechnics. The reason she's working now instead of entering Uni is that she already did get into a Uni, but it was a freakin' nightmare studying for 2 years to get an honours degree (instead of the regular 4 years); so she quit and went to find a job while considering her next path to take. In case this matters, she's a top student in her course, with a poly GPA of 3.95. We'll likely be married in 4 years time, and she intends to enter Uni again next year.
What are the chances of her receiving the PR status now, and in a few years time?

save_earth: sorry for hijacking your thread! Perhaps we can both learn from the feedback to this.

appleorange

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:10 pm

appleorange wrote:M S,

Do you mean to say that PRCs with a degree stand a very high chance of receiving the PR status?

I have a situation like this: my girlfriend's been in Singapore for about 9 years now, and she's been studying most of the time (since secondary 1). She's now working at a hospital (1.5 years contract) with a Diploma from one of the local polytechnics. The reason she's working now instead of entering Uni is that she already did get into a Uni, but it was a freakin' nightmare studying for 2 years to get an honours degree (instead of the regular 4 years); so she quit and went to find a job while considering her next path to take. In case this matters, she's a top student in her course, with a poly GPA of 3.95. We'll likely be married in 4 years time, and she intends to enter Uni again next year.
What are the chances of her receiving the PR status now, and in a few years time?

save_earth: sorry for hijacking your thread! Perhaps we can both learn from the feedback to this.

appleorange

There is a HUGE Difference between OP and your gf. OP was offered PR during her tertiary . PR now fergeddit !! 4 years down the road with enough saving and sustainable income P2 or higher yeah, go for it.
Big Difference. You need to open up your eyes and read OP post before you hijack it.
In the midst of all the euphoria and excitement while wanting the best for your gf, try to look out for the brick wall, it hurts when you ran into it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:25 pm

appleorange wrote:...The reason she's working now instead of entering Uni is that she already did get into a Uni, but it was a freakin' nightmare studying for 2 years to get an honours degree (instead of the regular 4 years); so she quit and went to find a job while considering her next path to take.

In case this matters, she's a top student in her course, with a poly GPA of 3.95. We'll likely be married in 4 years time, and she intends to enter Uni again next year.

i'm sorry to go off-topic and hijack this thread too (?) but... 2 years to get an honours degree? isn't that a bargain?

most people spend an additional year or take on extra courses during their honours year.

further, a GPA of 3.95 in poly is less significant when compared to a GPA of 4.0 of a university honours student.

whatever the case, she's a polytechnic graduate at best, or (at worst) a university drop out...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 7:43 pm

taxico wrote:whatever the case, she's a polytechnic graduate at best,

It's funny, in the UK they renamed all the polys universities. Wouldn't want the poly students to feel they're second best would we?

or (at worst) a university drop out...

Speak to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson (etc) about that... :)

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 8:10 pm

JR8 wrote:

It's funny, in the UK they renamed all the polys universities. Wouldn't want the poly students to feel they're second best would we?

lest i am misread again: i have nothing against drop outs - many of the most interesting and successful people i know personally have not completed any type of tertiary education.

my father (from florida) did not even obtain a GED but he has done very well for himself succeeded in life and also became a singapore citizen.

as a penniless man, my father also married a medical doctor and persuaded my mom to stop working so as to take care of my siblings and me!

my comments were directed at a university drop out from PRC who wants to obtain PR today...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:16 pm

JR8 wrote:

Thing is, Singapore doesn't care about your ability if you don't have the paperwork or are absurdly rich or self-made already...like Gates, Jobs and Branson.

But you knew that already.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 4:04 am

^^^^+ 1111 agreeed whole heartedly