accommodation for less than 2000 SGD

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
zdaz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 9:27 am

accommodation for less than 2000 SGD

Post by zdaz » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:02 am

hi
i'm new to Singapore and am looking for accommodation for less than 2000 SGD. I'm a bachelor and am not really into having roommates and therefore would like to have my own place. whenever I search for a one bedroom apartment on rental websites, i get offers on rooms in apartments and not apartments
what can i get for this price ? can I find a 1+1 apartment in a condo or should I focus on HDBs ?
thanks for your help
Z.

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:25 am

For the price, you are not going to find a one bedroom apartment. You, as noted, might find a shared condo, but a one bedroom condo will set you back ~3K/mo. You cannot rent an HDB 1 bedroom apartment (at least not legally) as these are all rented out by HDB to disadvanged/elderly Singaporean and cannot be rented by foreigners. Your best bet is to look for a 3room (2 BR) HDB rental flat outside of the CBD (central business district). You should be able to find one within your budget. Also, most HDB flats are near to amenities already as the HDB and the city planners work hand in hand. Also bus & rail links will be better in HDB estates.

Or, alternately you can share a unit, which, like you, I've never really been fond of, but did so for the first year I was here until I had a good layout of the land and ample time to "shop" around.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:44 am

Alternatively, you could look for 2+1 HDB units. There should still be some going for 2000 or less but you'd have look a bit farther from popular areas.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zdaz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 9:27 am

Post by zdaz » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 8:57 am

thank you for your help
how far is "far" from popular areas ?
i will be working in the financial district. will I be able to find something within 30 mins transportation time ?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:40 am

nakatago wrote:Alternatively, you could look for 2+1 HDB units. There should still be some going for 2000 or less but you'd have look a bit farther from popular areas.
What is an HDB 2+1 unit? :???:

Wouldn't be the same as a 3room (2 BR BedRoom) HDB rental flat would it? :P
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Your best bet is to look for a 3room (2 BR) HDB rental flat
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nakatago wrote:Alternatively, you could look for 2+1 HDB units. There should still be some going for 2000 or less but you'd have look a bit farther from popular areas.
What is an HDB 2+1 unit? :???:

Wouldn't be the same as a 3room (2 BR BedRoom) HDB rental flat would it? :P
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Your best bet is to look for a 3room (2 BR) HDB rental flat
My bad; just skimmed your post so some things didn't register correctly.

I thought that most dwellings were usually described with the number of bedrooms as well until I got here in Singapore and saw that + format .

@OP

How far is far? No real metric. Keep looking for flats further from your target until you find one within your budget. Use google maps or go there to get guesstimate travel times for any particular address.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:03 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by carteki » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:21 am

nakatago wrote: How far is far? No real metric. Keep looking for flats further from your target until you find one within your budget. Use google maps or go there to get guesstimate travel times for any particular address.
I would use http://www.gothere.sg as they have approx travel times by public transport on their maps.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests