Singapore Expats

Full time mom with a 1month1/2 baby

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
Dragonflytochina

Full time mom with a 1month1/2 baby

Post by Dragonflytochina » Thu, 30 Jun 2011 9:46 pm

Hi all
My husband, our 2 years daughter and I will relocate from Shanghai to Singapore at the beginning of July. I am pregnant and I am to resume work beginning of October. Our second child will only be 1month1/2 by then and I am really concern about this.

Although it is said that it is easy to find a nanny I cannot imagine I will have to leave my little one with someone I hardly know. I read you can find wonderful maid but that most of them do not have any experience with babies. Still remains the infant care option but that anyway implies to hire a nanny to pick our kids up from kindergardens/infant cares... How can we find someone we can rely on to look after our baby?

Has anybody experienced the same situation? I would reallly really appreciate any comment/advise you may have! The more I think the less I know (hormons do not help I guess :???: ). I started thinking the earlier I ll deliver, the more time I will have for him...

Thanks in advance for your help

CarlaH

Post by CarlaH » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 3:50 am

Hi - did you find a Nanny? we are moving to singapore in September and I have a 14 month old boy and would also like to find a nanny, someone who is trained in childcare not just a childminder

Thank you
Relocating to Singapore end of September '11

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:26 pm

How about taking a non-pay leave? 6 weeks old baby is so tiny that even leaving her/him with someone you trust will be hard (for you and for the baby)...

If there is really no chance to postpone your come back to work, and you are thinking about live in maid, look for a transfer one (that would have a good opinion and references from previous employers). Also, there are maids that have experience with infants, for sure. I would also suggest you take one as soon as you will get to Singapore, so you will have a time to get know the helper well and she will also have a time to get used to your older child and to your requirements. She will also assist you when the newborn will be with you right from the beginning, so the little one will know her as well...

Toverseas

Post by Toverseas » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 6:06 am

Hi CarlaH
We are moving from Uk to Singapore next month and I am stressing about childcare for my 18mth old daughter! We both work full time and my daughter currently has a Nanny. I'd love to know your experience - did you find a good Nanny? How did you find one??
Thanks