Singapore Expats Forum

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: PR application

Postby JayCee » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:48 pm

revhappy wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:
ebhuiyan wrote:Hi All,
I am living in Singapore since November 2006. I used to work in Japan and relocated to Singapore. I am married and have two kids (a boy and a girl). Both of them are born in Singapore. I am a computer science graduate, working in a Bank as IT manager. My wife is a dentist but she doesn’t work here because she needs to get a local license. I am 29+ yrs old. I am from Bangladesh. I am holding an employment pass, it was renewed two year back and expiring in this October, my wife and kids are holding dependent pass.

I applied for PR in April 4th for the whole family and got a rejection letter yesterday stating that my application is unsuccessful at this time and I can live and work in Singapore with legal work permit. They didn't mention when I can submit my PR application again.

Would anyone be able to help me on this? When I will be able to re-submit my application or when should I re-submit my application again? Do you have any idea why my application was rejected? Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time to answer my questions.

29yrs is too young to become an IT manager in a bank and it would be considered as really fast growth. Are you direct payrolls of the bank or a contractor? Whats your salary? If you were on direct payrolls and P1 pass, I would be surprised with your rejection.

At 29 Years he would have 8-9 years of experience and he can be a manager and it is possible !

Exactly. I know 2 guys of 26 who are both VP level IT managers, both were new graduate hires a few years ago and have been fast-tracked as the company looks after it's grads. Revhappy's posts definitely do not paint a picture of CS as a good place to work

+1

I've seen a few Directors in front office and back office before 29.

I ve seen too, but then they are Ang Mo's and not south asians and they may be MBA grads from top universities.

The 2 guys I know are both Indians, although they are the "studied abroad" type rather than the "I have master from top 30 university in India so you must bow down before me" type
I HAVE MASTERS!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: PR application

Postby BillyB » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:50 pm

revhappy wrote:
BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:
ebhuiyan wrote:Hi All,
I am living in Singapore since November 2006. I used to work in Japan and relocated to Singapore. I am married and have two kids (a boy and a girl). Both of them are born in Singapore. I am a computer science graduate, working in a Bank as IT manager. My wife is a dentist but she doesn’t work here because she needs to get a local license. I am 29+ yrs old. I am from Bangladesh. I am holding an employment pass, it was renewed two year back and expiring in this October, my wife and kids are holding dependent pass.

I applied for PR in April 4th for the whole family and got a rejection letter yesterday stating that my application is unsuccessful at this time and I can live and work in Singapore with legal work permit. They didn't mention when I can submit my PR application again.

Would anyone be able to help me on this? When I will be able to re-submit my application or when should I re-submit my application again? Do you have any idea why my application was rejected? Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time to answer my questions.

29yrs is too young to become an IT manager in a bank and it would be considered as really fast growth. Are you direct payrolls of the bank or a contractor? Whats your salary? If you were on direct payrolls and P1 pass, I would be surprised with your rejection.

At 29 Years he would have 8-9 years of experience and he can be a manager and it is possible !

Exactly. I know 2 guys of 26 who are both VP level IT managers, both were new graduate hires a few years ago and have been fast-tracked as the company looks after it's grads. Revhappy's posts definitely do not paint a picture of CS as a good place to work

+1

I've seen a few Directors in front office and back office before 29.

I ve seen too, but then they are Ang Mo's and not south asians and they may be MBA grads from top universities.

I was gonna say on your reply to Jaycee, I think it's more normal in the West to hit VP level at an early age. But I have seen plenty of Asians progress quite quick and some with just a bog standard degree.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 2:05 pm

Ok. My bad, then, as I don't see too many people around me who have grown that fast.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 2:11 pm

revhappy wrote:Ok. My bad, then, as I don't see too many people around me who have grown that fast.

Yep understood, that's what prompted me to say that CS Singapore doesn't sound like a particularly inviting place to work
I HAVE MASTERS!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 2:58 pm

Saint wrote:I would have thought if you were daft enough to apply for PR before being in Singapore at least 2 years you got the "Came back in 2 years" response. If been here over 2 years no time frame to reapply is given.

I will check all our records, but this can be a point, based in the few cases I can recall by memory.

This thread is being hijacked to a work CV related issue, but I think the background topic is really interesting!

But based on that, the no-timeframe-letter looks much worse but could be better. That's what I said that I know some guys with this no-date letter, than reapplied 6-8 months later and got approved. I also got this letter with no date last time (after 3+ years)

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 6:09 pm

JayCee wrote:
revhappy wrote:Ok. My bad, then, as I don't see too many people around me who have grown that fast.

Yep understood, that's what prompted me to say that CS Singapore doesn't sound like a particularly inviting place to work

I wont comment on that. All I can speak is for myself. I am 31 years of age and although not a VP yet, I am making 90K a year as base salary and extremely happy with both my job as well as compensation :wink:
Last edited by revhappy on Wed, 29 Jun 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 6:20 pm

revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:

I wont comment on that. All I can speak is for myself. I am 31 years of age and although not a VP yet, I am making 90K a year as base salary and extremely happy with both my job as well as compensation :wink:

Well as long as you're happy then good for you :) I assume you're AVP then?

I'm slightly older than you and I'm not VP either, I've actively shyed away from management responsibities as I can do without all the politics and stress! Life's too short, at least it is to me
I HAVE MASTERS!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 6:30 pm

JayCee wrote:
revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:

Well as long as you're happy then good for you :) I assume you're AVP then?

I'm slightly older than you and I'm not VP either, I've actively shyed away from management responsibities as I can do without all the politics and stress! Life's too short, at least it is to me

Yupp, I am an AVP and an individual contributor and I share the same views as you. I would like to remain an individual contributor for as long as possible, its much easier that way. I like mentoring/guiding/advising people(thats one reason I am on this forum ;) ) but then I hate to force someone to do something. So I fit the Business Analyst kind of role better than a team lead. But I am open to anything that life has to offer and rite now I am lovin' it :)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 8:13 pm

Seems to me that everyone at a bank besides the tellers and janitors is at least a VP.

Fast tracked 29 year old's can be the most dangerous thing... think they know it all when they actually know very little. I was one... managed a staff of 40 at age 28... and at times I wonder that it turned out the way it did.

SpouseofPR

Postby SpouseofPR » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:37 pm

Just to add to the thread, My PR Application sponsored by my husband ( made around March last year) met with a rejection late November. I was asked to reapply in one year. We have appealed against the decision with details of my education, work experience and social service details and a letter from local MP. I have also got admission to NUS, so plan to send these details also as the appeal is still in process.

My profile- Masters from Subcontinent with work ex around 1 yr
Husband - MBA from best Institute in India, works in thebest Private Equity firm here, PR for 5 years almost.

P.S- This is to just inform that not all PR rejections of applicants from the subcontinent are sent without deadlines to reapply.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:43 pm

SpouseofPR wrote:Just to add to the thread, My PR Application sponsored by my husband ( made around March last year) met with a rejection late November. I was asked to reapply in one year. We have appealed against the decision with details of my education, work experience and social service details and a letter from local MP. I have also got admission to NUS, so plan to send these details also as the appeal is still in process.

My profile- Masters from Subcontinent with work ex around 1 yr
Husband - MBA from best Institute in India, works in thebest Private Equity firm here, PR for 5 years almost.

P.S- This is to just inform that not all PR rejections of applicants from the subcontinent are sent without deadlines to reapply.

Wanted to highlight that sponsored PR applications may have a timeline but for Individual applications or Family Applications which are new without a sponsor, there is no time line specified these days? Just an Observation. Need not be right..

SpouseofPR

Postby SpouseofPR » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:36 am

Maybe. But I do know of a sponsored application made almost at the same time as mine own, where the husband was a PR and wife on EP. It was rejected at the same time as mine, and no time limit given for reapplication. Very difficult to guess ICA's cards :p

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:31 pm

Deliberately so.

calvink
Chatter
Chatter

Postby calvink » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:25 pm

COuld be related to set of preferences given to a certain ethnic group? . :X

I think its a good thing that approvals doesnt come easy nowadays...to safeguard the local's interest... wuu huu