Singapore Expats Forum

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ebhuiyan

PR application

Postby ebhuiyan » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:23 am

Hi All,
I am living in Singapore since November 2006. I used to work in Japan and relocated to Singapore. I am married and have two kids (a boy and a girl). Both of them are born in Singapore. I am a computer science graduate, working in a Bank as IT manager. My wife is a dentist but she doesn’t work here because she needs to get a local license. I am 29+ yrs old. I am from Bangladesh. I am holding an employment pass, it was renewed two year back and expiring in this October, my wife and kids are holding dependent pass.

I applied for PR in April 4th for the whole family and got a rejection letter yesterday stating that my application is unsuccessful at this time and I can live and work in Singapore with legal work permit. They didn't mention when I can submit my PR application again.

Would anyone be able to help me on this? When I will be able to re-submit my application or when should I re-submit my application again? Do you have any idea why my application was rejected? Any suggestions?

I appreciate your time to answer my questions.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: PR application

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:56 am

ebhuiyan wrote:Hi All,
I am living in Singapore since November 2006. I used to work in Japan and relocated to Singapore. I am married and have two kids (a boy and a girl). Both of them are born in Singapore. I am a computer science graduate, working in a Bank as IT manager. My wife is a dentist but she doesn’t work here because she needs to get a local license. I am 29+ yrs old. I am from Bangladesh. I am holding an employment pass, it was renewed two year back and expiring in this October, my wife and kids are holding dependent pass.

I applied for PR in April 4th for the whole family and got a rejection letter yesterday stating that my application is unsuccessful at this time and I can live and work in Singapore with legal work permit. They didn't mention when I can submit my PR application again.

Would anyone be able to help me on this? When I will be able to re-submit my application or when should I re-submit my application again? Do you have any idea why my application was rejected? Any suggestions?

Which part of the letter you did not understand. Your questions has been discussed at length on several threads. Try to search for it using the search button at the top right hand corner under the profile link
Anyway just to make sure understand , any application from the subcontinent is deem to be unsuccessful for now due to the substantial number of PR abusers from that region
When ? For you unless you have something more to offer to the Gahmen like increase salary , change of passes to P1 etc.... then you are wasting your time in reapplying. Thank your lucky star you still have a job here
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:22 am

When you get that type of letter, it's the kiss of death. They are telling you that they are not interested in you becoming a PR. Hence the invitation to stay and work here on a legal work pass. I'm afraid you've come up against a dead end. Normally if you are 'eligible' they would invite you to reply again in two years. I know it's not what you want to hear, but that's the reality of the facts. :(

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:12 pm

SMS and MS,
What I understand is nowadays they are not providing the timeline to reapply for rejections in the last year and this year.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 12:22 pm

The text that he received is the same as we've been seeing for the past 5 years for those that the gahmen aren't interested in. Whether is means something different today than it did 4 or 5 years ago, before all the crap started in Sept '09, I haven't a clue. But I am familiar with the text that he has put down from the letter received from ICA. You could be right. But it sure doesn't sound that way from the gist of the letter.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 5:05 pm

To add on what SMS said basically it is a standard format used for many years. ICA uses several standard format for rejection or reapplication procedure as it can churn in greater numbers compare to typing it yourself
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:54 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:SMS and MS,
What I understand is nowadays they are not providing the timeline to reapply for rejections in the last year and this year.

Based in the experience in our company I tend to agree. Has anyone received a rejection letter stating a reapplication period? Or everybody is getting this format now?

I know a few that got this "dead end" letter, and in the next attempt got their PR (without big changes in job-salary-blah-blah-blah)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 7:05 am

They may have well replaced the 6 month and 2 year wait rejection letters with the dead-in-the-water letter. But that letter has been around, as noted, a long, long time. Therefore, we don't know if the criteria for receiving that letter has changed. Don't forget, the receiver of the letter belongs to the target group of people that the MOM/ICA is trying to reduce. Most of your anecdotal evidence is also from that same ethnic group as well, I believe. Most of the ones we are getting here are also the same. So, I think we need more evidence that they have stopped using the timeline letters altogether before we try changing the meaning of them.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 9:04 am

I would have thought if you were daft enough to apply for PR before being in Singapore at least 2 years you got the "Came back in 2 years" response. If been here over 2 years no time frame to reapply is given.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:01 am

29yrs is too young to become an IT manager in a bank and it would be considered as really fast growth. Are you direct payrolls of the bank or a contractor? Whats your salary? If you were on direct payrolls and P1 pass, I would be surprised with your rejection.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:21 am

revhappy wrote:

29yrs is too young to become an IT manager in a bank and it would be considered as really fast growth. Are you direct payrolls of the bank or a contractor? Whats your salary? If you were on direct payrolls and P1 pass, I would be surprised with your rejection.

At 29 Years he would have 8-9 years of experience and he can be a manager and it is possible !

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:22 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:

At 29 Years he would have 8-9 years of experience and he can be a manager and it is possible !

Exactly. I know 2 guys of 26 who are both VP level IT managers, both were new graduate hires a few years ago and have been fast-tracked as the company looks after it's grads. Revhappy's posts definitely do not paint a picture of CS as a good place to work
I HAVE MASTERS!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:38 pm

JayCee wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:

Exactly. I know 2 guys of 26 who are both VP level IT managers, both were new graduate hires a few years ago and have been fast-tracked as the company looks after it's grads. Revhappy's posts definitely do not paint a picture of CS as a good place to work

+1

I've seen a few Directors in front office and back office before 29, so a Manager/VP is hardly setting the world on fire with career progress.

And is being on the direct payroll and holding P1 at a bank a dead cert for PR? I'd also question that with ongoing and looming cost cutting just around the corner. Banking is one sector with a high degree of uncertainty at the moment across most functions, particularly in Singapore.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:42 pm

JayCee wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:

Becoming a VP at 26 is an exception than a norm. Thats why I said I was surprised a person with such a high flying career in a bank gets rejected for PR. As you dont get too many of them.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 1:45 pm

BillyB wrote:
JayCee wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
revhappy wrote:

+1

I've seen a few Directors in front office and back office before 29.

I ve seen too, but then they are Ang Mo's and not south asians and they may be MBA grads from top universities.