Singapore Expats

Value for Money options in Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:39 pm

even YMCA gone up market and cost an arm and a leg!

Windward
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 8:10 pm
Location: East Coast, US

Post by Windward » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:42 am

At this point I've become comfortable with the fact that I'll likely end up paying around $2,500 a month for a decent condo with some amenities.

It's just a bit of a shock when you move from a fairly low-cost area in the US.

Such is the way of Singapore, it seems.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 3:24 pm

Windward wrote:At this point I've become comfortable with the fact that I'll likely end up paying around $2,500 a month for a decent condo with some amenities.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but your options for $2500 aren't going to be that widespread, there will be some condos available at that price but don't expect anything central and don't expect the Ritz
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 3:48 pm

JayCee wrote:
Windward wrote:At this point I've become comfortable with the fact that I'll likely end up paying around $2,500 a month for a decent condo with some amenities.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but your options for $2500 aren't going to be that widespread, there will be some condos available at that price but don't expect anything central and don't expect the Ritz
Was thinking that myself.

I think the ones up near me on Old Tampines Road, not sure of the name might be around $2500.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9817
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 6:02 pm

durain wrote:even YMCA gone up market and cost an arm and a leg!
sorry mate ... YMCA hotel has been in business for so long .. their hostel has not gone up-market, if you apply for staying there, through your church etc etc. you get amazingly low rate ..

then again, that is not for Singaporeans .. for REAL VISITORS ..

billym
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 1:43 pm

Post by billym » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 2:40 pm

When I lived once in Singapore as an exchange student to NUS, I stayed at an HBD on Toa Payoh. I shared the flat with another friend and it costed us about 1100sgd a month with electric and water bill. They said that was already as low as you could get. Though there are others who share their flat and you just have to see them online. Our place was a quite near to where we are going so it gave us a good comfort.

Food is no problem as there are a lot of hawker on the ground of our place which served great food.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests