Singapore Expats Forum

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:42 pm

Alt. but lovely



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTTs9y0sSo8
Renaissance - Live on French TV 1972

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:52 pm

JR8 wrote:Alt. but lovely



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTTs9y0sSo8
Renaissance - Live on French TV 1972

Wow, what was that....not the Renaissance I grew up with. The post-Keith Relf / pre-Annie Haslam version, very interesting.

Early days of the Canterbury Scene.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 7:35 am

Brah wrote:
JR8 wrote:Alt. but lovely



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTTs9y0sSo8
Renaissance - Live on French TV 1972

Wow, what was that....not the Renaissance I grew up with. The post-Keith Relf / pre-Annie Haslam version, very interesting.

Early days of the Canterbury Scene.

I stand corrected, by myself - they were probably not part of the Canterbury Scene group of groups, but I have to do more research...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 12:24 pm

Brah wrote: For me Deja Vu is one of those few albums of Desert Island caliber., along with about 20 or 30 others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrUAHaNvCI



Curious how one 'connects' to music. This album also made a permanent connection with me; still does. Even today I feel I have some kind of 'tiny ownership' over it...

Is it time and place? But this is arguably prairie-rock, and I was living in London. So how?

The lyrics or concepts? Sharing the values? Maybe.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 8:13 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Talking about old stuff, I heard this on the radio today - reminded how utterly fab and far out the Piper at the Gates of Dawn album was (is). RIP Syd...

Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive

Remember hearing this music during a chase scene in a Shaw Brothers kung-fu movie set in late 60's Hong Kong. Somehow it fit so well.

Here's another one with a Chinese connection (borrowed lyrics):

"Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruKTNVGnjSA

They played a shorter version for Bouton Rouge - stripped down, but still interesting to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71s-zsMiKt8

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 8:46 pm

I'd like to see a 'pills list' regarding where there heads were at at that time...

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:28 pm

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: For me Deja Vu is one of those few albums of Desert Island caliber., along with about 20 or 30 others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrUAHaNvCI



Curious how one 'connects' to music. This album also made a permanent connection with me; still does. Even today I feel I have some kind of 'tiny ownership' over it...

Is it time and place? But this is arguably prairie-rock, and I was living in London. So how?

The lyrics or concepts? Sharing the values? Maybe.

Time was a part of it, though they were a generation before mine, we just looked like them, with our long hair, suede fringe jackets, flares (bellbottoms were already passe then), and, by the time I was old enough, the war was well past over, so we had nothing to protest against like they did. I think we were a kind of lost generation. But great music.
Last edited by Brah on Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:45 pm

JR8 wrote:I'd like to see a 'pills list' regarding where there heads were at at that time...


Country Joe let's you know . . . .
Full disclosure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW3KdYm1gS8

"Bass Strings" - Country Joe & The Fish


Sorry, couldn't find a live performance.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 9:52 pm

Brah wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: For me Deja Vu is one of those few albums of Desert Island caliber., along with about 20 or 30 others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrUAHaNvCI



Curious how one 'connects' to music. This album also made a permanent connection with me; still does. Even today I feel I have some kind of 'tiny ownership' over it...

Is it time and place? But this is arguably prairie-rock, and I was living in London. So how?

The lyrics or concepts? Sharing the values? Maybe.

Time was a part of it, though they were a generation before mine, we just looked like them, with our long hair, suede fringe jackets, flares (bellbottoms were already passe then), and, by the time I was old enough, the war was well past over, so we had nothing to protest against like they did. I think we were a kind of lost generation. But great music.



LOL.... we were sort of protesting Cambodia. But didn't understand why.

Still as a back-stop, the Who and Deep Purple were cool.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:03 pm

They played Woodstock....

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 1:24 am

JR8 wrote:They played Woodstock....

Are you referring to Country Joe McDonald?

Yes, he did play at Woodstock, with the modified "Fish Cheer" and "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-To-Die-Rag" making the movie and the 1st record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATyZBEeDJ4

He got a lot of people up on their feet.
The movie even encouraged the audience to sing-along with the bouncing ball.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:48 pm

maneo wrote:
JR8 wrote:They played Woodstock....

Are you referring to Country Joe McDonald?

Yes, he did play at Woodstock, with the modified "Fish Cheer" and "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-To-Die-Rag" making the movie and the 1st record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATyZBEeDJ4

He got a lot of people up on their feet.
The movie even encouraged the audience to sing-along with the bouncing ball.


IIRC they're listed Country Joe and the fish, on the CD, DVD, and even in the clip you linked.

Wikipedia states that the band at that time was a second version of a line up... '[i]The 1967 lineup lasted only two years, and by the 1969 Woodstock Festival, the lineup included Greg 'Duke' Dewey (drums), Mark Kapner (keyboards) and Doug Metzler (bass).[/i]' ...

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 744
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 11:50 pm

JR8 wrote:IIRC they're listed Country Joe and the fish, on the CD, DVD, and even in the clip you linked.

Wikipedia states that the band at that time was a second version of a line up... '[i]The 1967 lineup lasted only two years, and by the 1969 Woodstock Festival, the lineup included Greg 'Duke' Dewey (drums), Mark Kapner (keyboards) and Doug Metzler (bass).[/i]' ...

He performed twice, first as "Country Joe McDonald" at 1 PM, Sat 16 Aug, then again as "Country Joe and the Fish" at 6:30 PM Sun, 17 Aug.
He did "The 'Fish' Cheer" and "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixing-To-Die-Rag" both times, but from the lighting (and the solo acoustic guitar) it looks like the film showed the earlier performance.

Now, one of the really amazing performances immediately followed Country Joe on Sat - the relatively unknown Santana doing "Soul Sacrifice" with a young 20 year old Michael Shrieve having a great time on the drums:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/michaelshrievewood.html

Next week will be the 45th "anniversary."
Enjoy.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:10 am

maneo wrote:Next week will be the 45th "anniversary."
Enjoy.


Yeah, I know.

It'd be cool for that to be your birthday ;;

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 9:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zEaElIe5b0
Jimi Hendrix - Funky Jam




--- Lesser known. Yeah like a funky jamming session, before the time of funk. Nice.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests