Singapore Expats Forum

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:06 pm

For irredeemable 70s hippies only ...

ELP Pictures At An Exhibition '71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P500LW2HNdE

Not the easiest of albums to get into. Though curiously a clip of 'Fanfare for the common man' was used at international athletics meets maybe into even the 90s, as a prelude to each event....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLWgrr671g
'Fanfare for the common man'

---- Just imagine the ego required to write this ..... woof!! :)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:20 pm

Love the gold Cartiers and brass gongs ...


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFjADELCwQ
ELP - Fanfare For The Common Man/Finale (Live)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280-H6Qz9aU
The Stranglers - Live at the Hope & Anchor 1977 [a big music pub in North London]

Classic Stranglers album. Pre-punk.
Great recording.


Stuff life this really changed music between say 1976 and 1978. Out with tired old boring stuff, 20 minute themes on a mozart variation, sweep it all away and start again ....


Or so was the theory ... it mostly worked.

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 3:49 pm

JR8 wrote:For irredeemable 70s hippies only ...

ELP Pictures At An Exhibition '71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P500LW2HNdE

As my old man used to say . . . I resemble that remark.

This other link has video for their PAAE concert, but the sound quality isn't as good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igIQ2TOASg

However, you do get to see Emerson spinning & dropping his organ near the end creating the somewhat chaotic sounds for "The Great Gates of Kiev."

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 9:47 pm

maneo wrote:
JR8 wrote:For irredeemable 70s hippies only ...

ELP Pictures At An Exhibition '71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P500LW2HNdE

As my old man used to say . . . I resemble that remark.

This other link has video for their PAAE concert, but the sound quality isn't as good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igIQ2TOASg

However, you do get to see Emerson spinning & dropping his organ near the end creating the somewhat chaotic sounds for "The Great Gates of Kiev."

...and you.re not the only one...

That was one of the few half-way decent clips of them live at their peak, nice to see excerpts from The Nice in there. There's one more, maybe the same tour, where they do parts of Trilogy.

This was the better Fanfare clip, though not sure it's actually live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLWgrr671g

This would not be complete with out a clip (have I posted this before?)
Renaissance Can You Understand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OLWgrr671g
crap quality but great performance and very rare
Last edited by Brah on Tue, 29 Jul 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 9:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280-H6Qz9aU
The Stranglers - Live at the Hope & Anchor 1977

78 minutes of pretty revelationary stuff....

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:15 pm

A friend just proposed a 'triangulation' as a basis for punk.

The Sex Pistols in the UK
The Ramones in the US
The Saints in Australia....


I'd never heard of the latter - hmmm ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OQHjvxNhqc
The Saints - Live in London 1977

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 10:52 pm

A GNR type band, Velvet Revolver - Slither

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKz2U4fvA4U
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:53 pm

A nice mix of Flamenco and Scottish Folk:

Vicente Amigo - Rio de La Seda
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 5:47 am

Brah, I think you got the link wrong for that Renaissance track; here's a clip of that song:

Renaissance - Can You Understand

Here's another one of their tracks - the title of which perfectly describes the ship you see on the left, from which a lot of their music was played in the 70's:

Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 8:56 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:A GNR type band, Velvet Revolver - Slither

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKz2U4fvA4U


It is GNR but replace Axel sith Scott.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:18 am

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:A GNR type band, Velvet Revolver - Slither

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKz2U4fvA4U


It is GNR but replace Axel sith Scott.


I liked GNR way better though.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 4:52 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Brah, I think you got the link wrong for that Renaissance track; here's a clip of that song:
Renaissance - Can You Understand
Here's another one of their tracks - the title of which perfectly describes the ship you see on the left, from which a lot of their music was played in the 70's:
Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy


Some nice bass flourishes early in link one, he really is giving his limited space to roam a good go there :) Then in comes her vocals. Evidently classicly trained. Crisp (over-crisp?) enunciation. Reminds me - in a weird way - of Nico ex Velvet Underground (etc), but the latter's enunciation was more smacked-out/Teutonic. Yes, really dynamic and effortless vocals here.... nice.
Middle instrumental section, all a bit whimsical and ostentatious.
Back to the bass-lead, and her vocals again, then acoustic gittar/strings (+ porno 4-chord keys into the end etc).
Yes nice, I enjoyed that :)

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 30 Jul 2014 9:04 pm

JR8 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Brah, I think you got the link wrong for that Renaissance track; here's a clip of that song:
Renaissance - Can You Understand
Here's another one of their tracks - the title of which perfectly describes the ship you see on the left, from which a lot of their music was played in the 70's:
Renaissance - Ocean Gypsy


Some nice bass flourishes early in link one, he really is giving his limited space to roam a good go there :) Then in comes her vocals. Evidently classicly trained. Crisp (over-crisp?) enunciation. Reminds me - in a weird way - of Nico ex Velvet Underground (etc), but the latter's enunciation was more smacked-out/Teutonic. Yes, really dynamic and effortless vocals here.... nice.
Middle instrumental section, all a bit whimsical and ostentatious.
Back to the bass-lead, and her vocals again, then acoustic gittar/strings (+ porno 4-chord keys into the end etc).
Yes nice, I enjoyed that :)

She is operatically trained, and has an 8 (I think) octave range; he is a good player, not technically great but some of the parts are written out (some of their music, the Neo-Classical parts, is based on existing classics) but I always liked playing his lines.

Amigo was write, I posted the wrong link, I meant to post the one clip of them doing that song live I could find since searching for it years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC744nDaUr0

but the best performance of this is the Carnegie Hall show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0GwerPCClQ
they had it all polished up by then, and even more ostentatious with the NYP behind them

for more of his bass work this features him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEo1okwkeZM but it's pretty long. song and his solo is a couple of minutes too long for what it is...

User avatar
maneo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat, 15 Mar 2008
Location: Titik Merah Kecil

Postby maneo » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 2:42 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Wot, no mention of Johnny Winter? Another legend off to join that great supergroup in the sky. RIP.

Johnny Winter's awesome speed in 'Sound the Bell' 1987 Sweden in a tv studio

Here's more intimate peek of the legend doing Derringer's "Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=-SeLISb0xyg&gl=SG


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Anyone up for some Ska/Reggae music?
    by andi83 » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 6:12 pm » in 30's Club
    8
    3342
    by eggy1 View the latest post
    Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:28 pm
  • Music censorship
    by JR8 » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 4:49 am » in General Discussions
    13
    9997
    by nakatago View the latest post
    Wed, 19 Dec 2012 9:06 pm
  • Rock Music/Live
    by martincymru » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 2:30 pm » in Entertainment, Leisure & Sports
    2
    1601
    by martincymru View the latest post
    Tue, 11 Dec 2012 8:29 am
  • Alternative Music&Movies
    by HolyPastry » Wed, 30 Jan 2013 8:55 pm » in 30's Club
    16
    4409
    by HA View the latest post
    Thu, 28 Feb 2013 9:15 am
  • Working in Singapore as music teacher
    by perkym05 » Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:50 pm » in Careers & Jobs in Singapore
    0
    2069
    by perkym05 View the latest post
    Tue, 19 Feb 2013 9:50 pm

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests