Singapore Expats

Music

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Music

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 6:20 am

It is a shame that there isn't a music topic here.

Well, in as much as in it is a topic I dwell on everyday.

Shame, anyway....

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 9:26 am

Well if you wish to start a topic on music, what's stopping you? :P

So what do you listen to?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:05 am

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks SMS I must have missed that one due to it not having music in it's title!

I read through it but to be honest it seems to be mostly people just naming songs which doesn't really do a heck of a lot for me. Anyway, in retrospect I spend enough time discussing music on Facebook so probably don't need to start up here as well.

p.s. Hi Lynx,
For the record I have wide taste, from gospel, to death-metal via baroque. The only requirement is that it be 'real' (which rules out 99% of todays chart music) and accomplished in it's own way.

What has really caught my attention this week is a song by Funkadelic with some astonishing guitar by Eddie Hazel. Quite how I managed to make it into my 40s without having heard this stunner before remains a mystery!
I described it in the bottom-most post of page 1 of this topic...
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:01 pm

JR8 wrote: For the record I have wide taste, from gospel, to death-metal via baroque. The only requirement is that it be 'real' (which rules out 99% of todays chart music) and accomplished in it's own way.
What determines "real" music for you?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:15 pm

poodlek wrote:
JR8 wrote: For the record I have wide taste, from gospel, to death-metal via baroque. The only requirement is that it be 'real' (which rules out 99% of todays chart music) and accomplished in it's own way.
Hi PoodleK, well I suppose we might all define that differently. To me 'real' means a musician with actual skills. They are musical artists, and so being able to do the equivalent of some loose form of an impression of say a Monet painting (scuse the pun) carries little weight.

So that rules out identikit boy-bands who are little more than stud-cattle run by giant corporations. Bleating 16 year old boys who sound like their balls are long overdue dropping. It rules out a vocalist who depends on Auto-Tune. It rules out a band that cannot play live anything remotely resembling what they've done in the studio. It rules out 98% of Asian pop that all seems to be whining on and on about unrequited love and the intended's parents not accepting the singer as worthy of their daughters' (and it is always a daughter it seems) attentions.

What kind of music are you into? :)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:41 pm

Any and everything as long as it's good/has entertainment value, so that includes Lady Gaga but excludes most of the kife you mentioned. I studied music and growing up I was a total music snob and listened exclusively to classical and jazz. Consequently I am just now having a 90s renaissance and am discovering how totally awesome the Foo Fighters are. Also on my 90s playlist are Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Sublime, etc. My go-to artists these days are Elbow, Jamie Cullum, The Band, Ben Folds, Queen and Lyle Lovett.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:19 pm

poodlek wrote:Any and everything as long as it's good/has entertainment value, so that includes Lady Gaga but excludes most of the kife you mentioned.

Ah ha, a rare bird on ExSg then, we might even be approaching some kind of agreement! :)

I studied music and growing up I was a total music snob and listened exclusively to classical and jazz.

Oh wow, cool! That's interesting, as I came to jazz very late (about the same time as gospel). My thinking was/is that you need to have quite a developed musical knowledge to 'get' what quite a lot of jazz is doing. Then again, if you studied it I suppose you had that young.

Consequently I am just now having a 90s renaissance and am discovering how totally awesome the Foo Fighters are.

Ah ha!!
I have just the Youtube link for you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW2AKkwJb_c
Queens Of The Stone Age - Avon (Feat. Dave Grohl)

This is why the Foo Fighters are so bloody great, because everyone in that band is a bloody good musician giving it absolutely everything. No one is a passenger. Look at the above link and see how Grohl absolutely turbo-charges the QoTSA, it's classic. Sometimes I watch that and wonder if QoTSA can believe what Grohl is pumping out!

Also on my 90s playlist are Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Sublime, etc. My go-to artists these days are Elbow, Jamie Cullum, The Band, Ben Folds, Queen and Lyle Lovett.

Yep some stuff in there I like too. If favourite bands were a palette of different colours I might be on a slightly punkier side to yours. I have quite a lot of time for what might be considered conceptual music... hmmm.... suppose originality figures quite large for me. That is why the jury is still out on Lady Gaga, I really don't get her at all. Though she has gone from outright dismissal to there could be something here worth paying attention to.

Rock on! :-D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:42 am

You can get all the hot new music releases at www.hotnewandcheap.com I've purchased a couple in the last month! Delivery only took 4 to 5 days.

Lady gaga is eccentric in her own right, she's an exhibitionist like Madonna 8-) Though Fantasia is also addictive. Bruno Mars is a master piece, that deserves recognition. Heavy Metal is just another world.

I love all music, but strangely enough, it must be live to have the lasting effects!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 3:00 am

JR8 wrote:
poodlek wrote:
Hi PoodleK, well I suppose we might all define that differently. To me 'real' means a musician with actual skills. They are musical artists, and so being able to do the equivalent of some loose form of an impression of say a Monet painting (scuse the pun) carries little weight.

So that rules out identikit boy-bands who are little more than stud-cattle run by giant corporations. Bleating 16 year old boys who sound like their balls are long overdue dropping. It rules out a vocalist who depends on Auto-Tune. It rules out a band that cannot play live anything rem(otely resembling what they've done in the studio. It rules out 98% of Asian pop that all seems to be whining on and on about unrequited love and the intended's parents not accepting the singer as worthy of their daughters' (and it is always a daughter it seems) attentions.

Ditto. I lean into heavy stuff that still have strong melodic elements in their music. Also, some old stuff (60's - early 80's) except pop of course. Some non-English songs can be ok too. Some pop stuff may be ok if they weren't really intended to be pop if it's good enough or it hasn't become grating and over played already.

Some artists, I wouldn't listen to their songs but I'd respect them if they write their music or are original enough.

Just to drop a few names: Killswitch Engage, Sevendust, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Audioslave, Urbandub (look them up!), Franco (look them up as well)...

About Lady Gaga, I was dismissive too at first and not bothering even to just hear samples of her work but having a video of her perform live before becoming Lady Gaga, and trying some of her music that I found out she wrote which she played on piano, I'm starting to respect her as a performance artist.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 6:16 am

ksl wrote:You can get all the hot new music releases at www.hotnewandcheap.com I've purchased a couple in the last month! Delivery only took 4 to 5 days.

Lady gaga is eccentric in her own right, she's an exhibitionist like Madonna 8-) Though Fantasia is also addictive. Bruno Mars is a master piece, that deserves recognition. Heavy Metal is just another world.

I love all music, but strangely enough, it must be live to have the lasting effects!
Strange that I am the same, a solid live performance will always sway me versus a perfect studio version. I realised this relatively recently, that almost all musical Facebook links I send friends are of live performances.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 8:54 am

JR8 wrote:I read through it but to be honest it seems to be mostly people just naming songs which doesn't really do a heck of a lot for me.
What does?
For me any art related topic requires profound knowledge on the subject or it will simply be banal. How to discuss things like beauty even if it comes from sophistication? It can be liked or not only unless you are an artist (in the true sense of this word) and can express yourself on a similar level to the creation you want to discuss. I don't have the knowledge not to mention the later so I can only exchange some bio-/disco- information (what I don't normally do). More than such discussion I found useful just to listen to a favorite Internet radio, picking up the songs I like and exploring further the artists via youtube or similar.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:02 pm

I love the fact that whoever put Shayne Ward - one of the X-factor winners in the U.K - completely killed that thread!!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:10 pm

JR8 wrote:
poodlek wrote:

So that rules out identikit boy-bands who are little more than stud-cattle run by giant corporations. Bleating 16 year old boys who sound like their balls are long overdue dropping. It rules out a vocalist who depends on Auto-Tune. It rules out a band that cannot play live anything remotely resembling what they've done in the studio. It rules out 98% of Asian pop that all seems to be whining on and on about unrequited love and the intended's parents not accepting the singer as worthy of their daughters' (and it is always a daughter it seems) attentions.

You mean like Britney Spears and Girls Aloud??!!

Didn't have you down for a death metal fan Delia. I thought you'd fall into the rock generation - The Who, Sex Pistols, Stones, maybe a little bit of Dylan, Joe Cocker, Pink Floyd also up there on your preferences!!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 26 Jun 2011 3:14 pm

any sigue sigue sputnik?