Singapore Expats Forum

Spass application rejected and now appealing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
winwinwin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2011

Spass application rejected and now appealing

Postby winwinwin » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:18 pm

Hi,

I am Chinese Indonesian who has just graduated from 1 of the local polytechnics in Singapore. I am dealing with my spass application since april 2011. Here is my situation:

1st company applied: after 3weeks got rejected, appealed for 2weeks and I withdrawn that application

2st company applied: after 2weeks got rejected, it was being appealed since 21st of may until today.

I have been waiting for a month since my appeal date and I have not heard anything from MOM nor my hiring company.

Can any of you advise me what I should do? it is very tiring to wait and receive no satisfying response from MOM while my wallet is getting drier..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:40 pm

Your odds are against you if you are a fresh graduate with only a diploma from a local poly. They are no longer offering LPR for Indonesian Chinese or anybody else for that matter. Without experience and only a skillset that plenty others have as well (being a local poly) you are going to be the low man on the totem pole, sad to say. Appealing is a waste of time as you have nothing new to offer in the appeal, so the outcome will be the same.

winwinwin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2011

Postby winwinwin » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:51 pm

yea I am just trying to pay back what MOE had subsidies for my study. By right i have 3 years bond to work here. The system here is so contradicting where MOE is giving out money for foreigners to pursue education and require them to pay back by working in Singapore. Yet, after all MOM is rejecting their good will to pay back to bond.

I guess you are right SMS, I am just wasting my time in this "inconsistent-regulations" country.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9793
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 1:51 pm

winwinwin wrote:I guess you are right SMS, I am just wasting my time in this "inconsistent-regulations" country.


Don't scold the country that did good to you ..

Did it ever occur to you the rejection can be due to the employer ??

I know enough employers who submit, just for the sake of submitting, without worrying about quota and all ..

Those on MOE bond get preferential treatment, but that doesn't extend to messed up employers ..

Well, you are right .. better you leave Singapore .. if you have so much vengeance .. :( :(

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 2:16 pm

Gone are the days when you could buy yourself a visa to work in Singapore by taking up higher education here.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9793
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 2:27 pm

Saint wrote:Gone are the days when you could buy yourself a visa to work in Singapore by taking up higher education here.


Chief: the case here is the candidate is on MOE grant, which, by bond, demands that they work here for 3 years post graduation .. it is not a case of 'buying yourself .. '

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 3:25 pm

Actually it was. They had a bond which meant they had to work for substandard salaries instead of open market rates, in most cases, for at least three years OR pay back the difference. So, in effect, the substandard salaries were paying it back. Depending on where you were from, would depend on just how much or little benefit you were getting/losing.

ngochien2903
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 27 Apr 2011

Postby ngochien2903 » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:07 am

Hi,
I'm also in appeal processing and waiting for a result. HR in company did sent appeal from 23 May but not yet have information until now. I made a draft appeal letter by my self and intend to send MOM with hope that it will help my application be sucessfull and prove I'm a potential worker in Singapore, give them more picture about me. Can somebody have experiences on that? Could you please advise me.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:25 am

ngochien2903 wrote:Hi,
I'm also in appeal processing and waiting for a result. HR in company did sent appeal from 23 May but not yet have information until now. I made a draft appeal letter by my self and intend to send MOM with hope that it will help my application be sucessfull and prove I'm a potential worker in Singapore, give them more picture about me. Can somebody have experiences on that? Could you please advise me.


Only the Employer can submit an appeal for a rejected application and by right the Employee should not submit any appeal letter to MOM, because the application for SPass /EP was done by the Employer and not by the Employee.. May be please wait for the result to be announced. Good Luck !

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34530
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:53 am

Or, he can submit it and watch as it acts like a spanner in the works, and then he screws up the whole process. Then it would serve him right.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
winwinwin wrote:I guess you are right SMS, I am just wasting my time in this "inconsistent-regulations" country.


Don't scold the country that did good to you ..

Did it ever occur to you the rejection can be due to the employer ??

I know enough employers who submit, just for the sake of submitting, without worrying about quota and all ..

Those on MOE bond get preferential treatment, but that doesn't extend to messed up employers ..

Well, you are right .. better you leave Singapore .. if you have so much vengeance .. :( :(


He has already tried through 2 different employers and you and I know that the chances of a fresher getting an S Pass approved is slim.

I am not sure why you say he is scolding the country. He is not. He is infact right. He has a bond of 3 years to fulfill but then if the MoM doesn't approve his pass what does he do? Now can you keep your love of the country aside for a second and address his question, Please?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9793
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:01 pm

revhappy wrote:He has already tried through 2 different employers and you and I know that the chances of a fresher getting an S Pass approved is slim.

I am not sure why you say he is scolding the country. He is not. He is infact right. He has a bond of 3 years to fulfill but then if the MoM doesn't approve his pass what does he do? Now can you keep your love of the country aside for a second and address his question, Please?


Chief, seriously, I am not in love with Singapore, but as an expat, I got to respect the law of the country .. and going around pulling ugly faces doesn't help .. or so I been thinking .. I am sorry

I had a lot more drama, 7 years ago, when I applied through company A, rejected, applied through company B, rejected and then went to apply by company C .. also rejected.

Only when I managed to seek some help, and managed to lay hands on the 3 companies' CPF statement and then did I see the fault ..

The companies each had 10 odd staff, 2 on 5,000 $ salary, and the rest on 400$ salary .. no kidding ...

I stopped applying for small companies, and then got an opening in a large company, and it only took 4 days for my Pass to be approved ...

I did adress the OPs quesion .. in case he is blinded by fury and decided not to read what I wrote ..

And the OP is on MOE bond, and I don't feel it is his problem to get rejection .. Those on MOE bond are not treated like rubbish as the OP implies, but they get preference, if the employer they apply are not lacking in basic requirements .. the OP need to sit back and see if he is also getting enticed by fly by night companies .. And oh, I know a dozen or more companies who are ready to suck up cheap foreigners, regardless the company qualifies or not .. after all, the 3 companies who wanted to recruit me all had the same plan - to Body shop me for a profit .. Thank God it didnt work ...

Did that help ????????

And every time my pass was rejected, I was extremely demoralised and close to packing up and going back and that my $ was running out didnt help ...

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:49 pm

I will tell you why I find the whole idea about the bond and the S pass rejection flawed

Lets say a person is not very bright and no MNC or large company wants to employ the person. But then a small start up company wants to employ him and "body shop" him to the large company. But MoM rejects because the company is small.

So according you what options does this guy have? Will they allow him to stay here until infinity to find the "Perfect" employer and finish the 3 yr bond? Or will they give him a certain amount of time before which he needs to find the "perfect" employer and failing which pay the subsidy amount?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9793
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 2:05 pm

revhappy wrote:I will tell you why I find the whole idea about the bond and the S pass rejection flawed

Lets say a person is not very bright and no MNC or large company wants to employ the person. But then a small start up company wants to employ him and "body shop" him to the large company. But MoM rejects because the company is small.

So according you what options does this guy have? Will they allow him to stay here until infinity to find the "Perfect" employer and finish the 3 yr bond? Or will they give him a certain amount of time before which he needs to find the "perfect" employer and failing which pay the subsidy amount?


You can't buy your way into the MOE Grant, unless you are a perfomer .. I rest my case ...

He needs to stop doing what I did - stop applying for Fly-by-night companies and apply for larger companies .. assuming he has been applying to smaller companies ... (assumption .. again .. only the OP can clarify that . )

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9793
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 2:38 pm

revhappy wrote:Lets say a person is not very bright and no MNC or large company wants to employ the person. But then a small start up company wants to employ him and "body shop" him to the large company. But MoM rejects because the company is small.



PS: vis-a-vis the Body shopping thingy, I am neither dense nor wanted to be in that situation ..

the market was not good, and I was only talking to small companies, instead of approaching / applying to larger firms ..

And I didn't realise that my contacts then all were into making a quick buck by attempting to body shop me ..


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests