Singapore Expats

Losing public holidays when on business trip

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Irongirl

Post by Irongirl » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:26 am

I went on a 3.5 week business trip in May. If I was in the office, I would have received 3 public holidays: Labour, Vesak, & Voting. I get credit for voting day. However, not the other 2 public holidays.

Their reason: All professional staff that even though you were working over a public holiday while overseas on business, we view this to be part of a professional staff's job responsibilities and thus, you are unable to claim these two days.

Huh? Win one, lose 2?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:31 am

Check your employment contract

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 10:52 am

not in the employment contract, but that is based on MOM law covering 'leave in lieu of public holiday' and the one that covers your own company policy vis-a-vis if a public holiday falls while you are on Duty Travel

And I thought Duty travel = paid holiday ?????????????

Coat, hat, umbrella... and taxi .................

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Girl_Next_Door » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 2:04 pm

Same situation here... I was away for 5 weeks and missed out public holidays as well. There is also 1 day of public holiday whereby I dont have to go to office. However, I still work in the hotel as it is not public holiday in Singapore and I still have my usual BAU (Business As Usual) work to work on.

Such is life...

Irongirl

Post by Irongirl » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:08 am

It's not in my employment contract. MOM might help you if you get your hand chopped off. But, that's optimistic.

I think the 1-day loss of PH is a wash. Next time, I will make it clear regarding compensation working on PH.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Losing public holidays when on business trip

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:18 am

Irongirl wrote:It's not in my employment contract. MOM might help you if you get your hand chopped off. But, that's optimistic.

I think the 1-day loss of PH is a wash. Next time, I will make it clear regarding compensation working on PH.
Good luck in trying to get it done .. and let us know how it goes .. :D :D

As I said, such matters are not in the employment contract, and are only in MOM Guidelines ..

If you expect a contract to spell out everything, be ready for a 100 page contract .. :D

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:30 am

ecureilx wrote:
Irongirl wrote:It's not in my employment contract. MOM might help you if you get your hand chopped off. But, that's optimistic.

Good luck in trying to get it done .. and let us know how it goes .. :D :D

As I said, such matters are not in the employment contract, and are only in MOM Guidelines ..

If you expect a contract to spell out everything, be ready for a 100 page contract .. :D
Maybe not a contract, but most companies would have an employee handbook stating how things work (which could be 100 pages). My place does, and it says we get a day in lieu of missed bank holidays, I doubt it's the only place that does it.
I HAVE MASTERS!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 10:33 am

JayCee wrote: Maybe not a contract, but most companies would have an employee handbook stating how things work (which could be 100 pages). My place does, and it says we get a day in lieu of missed bank holidays, I doubt it's the only place that does it.
I was trying to see the OPs comment that it is not in the contract .. :D

Yes, all good companies, big or small, have an Employee's handbook .. and states such little matters

my repeated question is .. what is the OP going to do about it ?? Sue the employer ?? :D

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 01 Jul 2011 11:25 am

ecureilx wrote:
JayCee wrote: Maybe not a contract, but most companies would have an employee handbook stating how things work (which could be 100 pages). My place does, and it says we get a day in lieu of missed bank holidays, I doubt it's the only place that does it.
I was trying to see the OPs comment that it is not in the contract .. :D

Yes, all good companies, big or small, have an Employee's handbook .. and states such little matters

my repeated question is .. what is the OP going to do about it ?? Sue the employer ?? :D
I must have missed where you asked that question the first time
I HAVE MASTERS!