Singapore Expats Forum

What happens when you appeal after EP rejection?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
TheRealStig

What happens when you appeal after EP rejection?

Postby TheRealStig » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 11:27 pm

Hi! My EP was rejected and my HR manager was confident about appealing. After around 7 days he had a meeting with MOM. I'm confused as to where does this fall - beginning, middle or end - in the course of an appeal.

In fact, it would be very nice if someone could tell me exactly what goes on when an appeal is made? Start to finish. From how is an appeal made and after it is made what happens at the Ministry?

Also, does "having ties" help? Like the employer and another government agency hiring for a joint venture? Does that make a difference?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: What happens when you appeal after EP rejection?

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 4:00 am

TheRealStig wrote:Hi! My EP was rejected and my HR manager was confident about appealing. After around 7 days he had a meeting with MOM. I'm confused as to where does this fall - beginning, middle or end - in the course of an appeal.

No one knows what goes on in MOM. If you tick all the boxes, MOM will approve your application

In fact, it would be very nice if someone could tell me exactly what goes on when an appeal is made? Start to finish. From how is an appeal made and after it is made what happens at the Ministry?

You are the first bloke who ask this silly question. Even those that deals with MOM ever so often will not be able to provide you this answer. Everything is kept close to their chest

Also, does "having ties" help? Like the employer and another government agency hiring for a joint venture? Does that make a difference?

This is an open forum and what you are asking is very dodgy. BTW NO it does not make any diff.

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

TheRealStig

Postby TheRealStig » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 4:33 am

Ah, I think I was misunnderstood. I didn't mean having ties in the dodgy sense, I meant does one part on the government wanting you there kind of tie. Rather a tie up. My bad. I tried clearing that with the follow up questions right after. :oops:

Although I've seen posts which say the MoM isn't accountable to anyone and what they do is very secretive and criticisms which are almost allegations, that's not where my interest lies. Not yet. :twisted:

TheRealStig

Postby TheRealStig » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 4:41 am

I was interested in what happens is because I've read ppl post they went down to MOM and had discussions and everything. Those kind of things. What are those? I assumed it is part of the appeal process.

If that was the case, a sample answer I was looking for is this: To appeal you write a letter to MOM in the appeal form teling your side of the story. The MOM reads it, and if it thinks your case has merit calls you down to discuss it.

Now, I dunno how it works, so what I said may sound silly. :-|

What are those visits to the MOM that ppl do?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 5:48 am

TheRealStig wrote:I was interested in what happens is because I've read ppl post they went down to MOM and had discussions and everything. Those kind of things. What are those? I assumed it is part of the appeal process.

OK , fair enough. Appeal process is one part where the HR and the applicant to have an interview with the officer there. As EP application is a two part process i.e 1) you meet the EP qualification and the other is your employer must prove to MOM that your niche expertise is a must in your emopoyer organisation. Your empployer can employ you but it is MOM that issues the passes. These are some of the interviews done in MOM depending on individual issues

If that was the case, a sample answer I was looking for is this: To appeal you write a letter to MOM in the appeal form teling your side of the story. The MOM reads it, and if it thinks your case has merit calls you down to discuss it.

As above reply , it is best to go down with your HR. Appeal is done by employer NOT you

Now, I dunno how it works, so what I said may sound silly. :-|

What are those visits to the MOM that ppl do?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 7:03 am

Actually, the appeal process is entirely online. They have made it all but impossile to seen an officer at MOM now. It's all conducted via iSubmit and email if necessary.

How do I do it? Don't ask. Sometimes it can backfire on you (actually more times than not). I did actually win in the end two weeks ago though. The are currently in the process of trying to streamline the appeals process but that has not yet been finalized. They are supposed to let me know the outcome of our discussion several weeks ago, so we'll see.