Singapore Expats Forum

Is 'Helper' a euphemism?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:27 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Hmmm. I can understand "Sir" - it is still in every day common use but master sounds like from a deferent era. If they still train them that way it likely indicates some market demand.


You know it's time for a new maid when she starts calling you honey instead of sir.
OMG :P :lol:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9260
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 3:48 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Hmmm. I can understand "Sir" - it is still in every day common use but master sounds like from a deferent era. If they still train them that way it likely indicates some market demand.


You know it's time for a new maid when she starts calling you honey instead of sir.


Honey went out of fashion .. it is Baby .. when the maid calls the child 'my baby' and stares at the boss, then it is time :D :D

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 5:14 pm

ksl wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:Hmmm. I can understand "Sir" - it is still in every day common use but master sounds like from a deferent era. If they still train them that way it likely indicates some market demand.


You know it's time for a new maid when she starts calling you honey instead of sir.
OMG :P :lol:


...or the maid is sassy and always says 'master' ironically or even sarcastically :P

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 7:16 pm

Baby is less appropriate as it may indicate affection. Honey or even better darling is almost routine so appears to be right for a model employee-employer relation.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 7:31 pm

I ggogled on:
Singapore maid agency
results = 3.23m

Singapore domestic helper agency
results = 0.4m

The SGn/corporate side seem to prefer to call them maids. On the flipside the employers (such as the people who come here to ask questions re: hiring one etc) seem to be more comfortable referring to them as domestic helpers.

This suggests to me political correctness. People who are maybe rather embarrassed at the idea of having 'servants'?

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 9:40 pm

JR8 wrote:This suggests to me political correctness. People who are maybe rather embarrassed at the idea of having 'servants'?


Makes the most sense to me. A servant is an extravagance. A helper almost seems necessary.

longhorn0915
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon, 16 May 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Postby longhorn0915 » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 9:07 am

Just my opinion, but it seems like calling them domestic helper might make it easier to have them help with babysitting duties in addition to housework. That may be the reason for the change.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 9:12 am

Nah. That is part and parcel to their job description here. Most don't bother to get domestic helpers unless they have kids. Or are Tai-Tais! The other difference is if the children are infants, they they (the ma'am & sir) try to find one with experience with them, otherwise, most are already used to taking care of kids (most have their own back in their home countries).

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The agencies try to train them to say either master or sir.


maybe they can train them to say "Master Bruce..your bat suit is ready" to complete the picture.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:35 pm

morenangpinay wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The agencies try to train them to say either master or sir.


maybe they can train them to say "Master Bruce..your bat suit is ready" to complete the picture.


like how this guy does it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHlAACC-FKI

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 29 Jun 2011 8:14 am

nakatago wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The agencies try to train them to say either master or sir.


maybe they can train them to say "Master Bruce..your bat suit is ready" to complete the picture.


like how this guy does it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHlAACC-FKI


my former officemate used to do that and read the Lord of The Rings...drove me crazy.. ](*,)

User avatar
buyan
Member
Member
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon, 02 Jan 2012
Location: depends on the day

Postby buyan » Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:50 pm

This is quote-unquote from a letter to the editor in a local paper back in August when a review of domestic helper conditions was underway: "My maid doesn't know how good she has it - I give her one day of a month and I even let her use her cell phone on her day off, after all, she is only human". That one rocked me!!!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 04 Jan 2012 4:33 pm

buyan wrote:This is quote-unquote from a letter to the editor in a local paper back in August when a review of domestic helper conditions was underway: "My maid doesn't know how good she has it - I give her one day of a month and I even let her use her cell phone on her day off, after all, she is only human". That one rocked me!!!


URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests