Singapore Expats Forum

The FCO really have lost the plot

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

James-83
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri, 08 Apr 2011

The FCO really have lost the plot

Postby James-83 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 4:40 pm

I dont know what they are upto but any UK citizens will have alot more difficult time renewing their passport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k64t49Jw ... r_embedded

This will cost a small fortune when things start getting lost

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The FCO really have lost the plot

Postby ksl » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 4:53 pm

James-83 wrote:I dont know what they are upto but any UK citizens will have alot more difficult time renewing their passport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k64t49Jw ... r_embedded

This will cost a small fortune when things start getting lost


Well it's typical of the UK to have some jumped up professor or academic without experience design things like this. It's these sort of cock ups that have destroyed the UK.

How in hell can they say, that sending passports through mail service is more secure than being at the local Embassy beats me.

Commonsense and statistics tells us how many credit cards get nicked through postal services, so now its time for the passports. :lol: Lucky I have just renewed mine for the next 10 years before they moved the process to HK

James-83
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri, 08 Apr 2011

Postby James-83 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 5:16 pm

I know its madness.

The price inflation is so unfair when many S.E Asian countries produce very similar passports for about 20 quid.

This whole idea of NWO is seeming more and more realistic. Everything having to be done in native countries, ridicolous hoops to jump through, prices that in no way can be justified, when are we gonna stand up and fight back...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 5:52 pm

Condescending bilge.

They say it will save the FCO £80m a year. Woo-hoo, about what is sent by the UK to the EU every 10 seconds...

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 7:12 pm

The funniest thing is that if you want to call and get some help then so-called "customer support" isn't free. You are charged for it and must divulge your CC details before anyone will answer any of your queries. :)

As for passports, the move was made to limit the number of places with the capacity to issue them, so HK as a regional centre is just a by-product of such decision-making. This is just temporary though, HK will disappear too - the aim of this "redevelopment" is to centralise all passport issuing in a single location in the UK.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 7:32 pm

aster wrote:The funniest thing is that if you want to call and get some help then so-called "customer support" isn't free. You are charged for it and must divulge your CC details before anyone will answer any of your queries. :)

As for passports, the move was made to limit the number of places with the capacity to issue them, so HK as a regional centre is just a by-product of such decision-making. This is just temporary though, HK will disappear too - the aim of this "redevelopment" is to centralise all passport issuing in a single location in the UK.


Won't reduce the amount of illegals simply granted passports, or the ability to buy fake ones. That's the joke of it...

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 8:32 pm

I think there must have been one too many cases of funny passports being issued at various embassies around the world. They've really gone "all in" on this one, aiming to eventually move all passport production to just a single location.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 9:52 pm

Another masterstroke by the Government. Now you have 3 chances to lose your most important documents at some stage during the process. Lovely stuff......

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:52 pm

aster wrote:I think there must have been one too many cases of funny passports being issued at various embassies around the world. They've really gone "all in" on this one, aiming to eventually move all passport production to just a single location.


But as far I have heard, most dodgy passports are produced in the back of cafes in Tottenham and the like. This cunning FCO plan will change nothing, just cause inconvenience to the law-abiding.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:44 pm

if you are asylum seeker, then everything will be free.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:54 pm

JR8 wrote:
aster wrote:But as far I have heard, most dodgy passports are produced in the back of cafes in Tottenham and the like. This cunning FCO plan will change nothing, just cause inconvenience to the law-abiding.


I too think that passports should be issued at every embassy out there. The only rationale for this move to eventually produce all passports in a single location in the UK is:

- problem with blank passports being sent out all over the world, and/or a problem with too many places/people able to issue them
- a major surge forward in production technology in the future, making it only feasible to produce in one, central location

Can't think of any other reason why they'd change the system to make it such a PITA...

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 2:57 pm

I don't mind it all being centralised in the UK provided they follow, then, the current German system as i believe it to be.

The application is made at the local embassy as normal, and likeness is confirmed. The application is then sent via Diplomatic Bag back to Germany where the replacement is prepared and sent, again via Diplomatic Bag, back to Singapore.

The cost of the postage is borne by HMG, or rather by us via the cost of the passport itself but in the end the responsibility for the paperwork and passport is borne by the government who, in any case, own the bl@@dy thing at all time anyway.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 20 Jun 2011 4:12 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I don't mind it all being centralised in the UK provided they follow, then, the current German system as i believe it to be.

The application is made at the local embassy as normal, and likeness is confirmed. The application is then sent via Diplomatic Bag back to Germany where the replacement is prepared and sent, again via Diplomatic Bag, back to Singapore.

The cost of the postage is borne by HMG, or rather by us via the cost of the passport itself but in the end the responsibility for the paperwork and passport is borne by the government who, in any case, own the bl@@dy thing at all time anyway.


Just wait until they manage to lose all your documents - I'm sure you'll change your mind about the process!!

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 3:55 pm

I've got a mate who regularly travels and he's recently sent off for a new passport as he was down to last page. We are off to Phukers this week so he's had to get an Emergency Travel Document which has cost him s$200!!

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 5:20 pm

BillyB wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I don't mind it all being centralised in the UK provided they follow, then, the current German system as i believe it to be.

The application is made at the local embassy as normal, and likeness is confirmed. The application is then sent via Diplomatic Bag back to Germany where the replacement is prepared and sent, again via Diplomatic Bag, back to Singapore.

The cost of the postage is borne by HMG, or rather by us via the cost of the passport itself but in the end the responsibility for the paperwork and passport is borne by the government who, in any case, own the bl@@dy thing at all time anyway.


Just wait until they manage to lose all your documents - I'm sure you'll change your mind about the process!!



Actually not...... at least it would be THEIR fault and not MY fault when putting in a DHL package to HK.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests