Singapore Expats Forum

Adie about accepting a new job in Singers & salary & taxes

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

brent83
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 14 Jun 2011

Adie about accepting a new job in Singers & salary &

Postby brent83 » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 6:17 pm

I got offered a new job in Singapore earlier this week and I was wondering if this package they are offering would be good !


They are offering

A Base Salary of $3000SNG eah month
Return Flights (I'm Australia but currently in Ireland so return to Ireland)
Free accom in a 3 bedroom condo with the other 2 people
I will also earn comission in the job but without the comission is this okay?

I would assume the accom would be quite nice though

What is generally okay for a single 28 year old guy? I would also like to go out an enjoy the night life at weekends and the odd night midweek and I prefer cooking at home

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:02 am

Another "how long is a piece of string" question!
S$3000/month is a damn good salary for a construction worker, but a lousy one for a general manager.
A single guy can easily live on it, especially as accommodation is taken care of. But then again, some people spend a lot more (especially those who cannot adjust their lifestyle), others save and sustain a family back home on less than half of what you'll get.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Re: Adie about accepting a new job in Singers & salary &

Postby FaeLLe » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:23 pm

Too few details to help you.

Break up your lifestyle expectations.
How much you expect to spend on them and financial plans.

Then we can help you align to reality....

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Re: Adie about accepting a new job in Singers & salary &

Postby oezcan kaplan » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 1:07 am

as for my own opinion,even locals earn better than that offer!
you should try look for better conditions prior relocating...

also,your experience is one of the majors what employer consider!

brent83 wrote:I got offered a new job in Singapore earlier this week and I was wondering if this package they are offering would be good !


They are offering

A Base Salary of $3000SNG eah month
Return Flights (I'm Australia but currently in Ireland so return to Ireland)
Free accom in a 3 bedroom condo with the other 2 people
I will also earn comission in the job but without the comission is this okay?

I would assume the accom would be quite nice though

What is generally okay for a single 28 year old guy? I would also like to go out an enjoy the night life at weekends and the odd night midweek and I prefer cooking at home

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:09 am

Do not listen to the above poster - he is known on this forum for writing lots of nonsense!
Fact is that the Singapore average household (this includes two working adults, kids and often retired parents living with them) income is about S$5400, and is very well possible to live on that (in fact "average" means that half the population survives on less!).
If your package takes care of accommodation, which is a major expense, you basically have almost a family income all to yourself.

(One more fact to substantiate how wrong the above poster is: starting pay for a university graduate - and they are usually the better earners - is S$2400-2700. It goes up to S$3000 after about 3 years of working experience.)

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 3:41 pm

when you consider my posting carefully,i mean `experience`what takes a major role in obtaining better salaries!

we do not know ,what qualities and experiences this guy holds!
`S$3000/month is a damn good salary for a construction worker`...if you think its a good salary for construction worker,just be aware the nationality of the guy!

He is not from Bangladesh or from any other similar countries!!!

beppi wrote:Do not listen to the above poster - he is known on this forum for writing lots of nonsense!
Fact is that the Singapore average household (this includes two working adults, kids and often retired parents living with them) income is about S$5400, and is very well possible to live on that (in fact "average" means that half the population survives on less!).
If your package takes care of accommodation, which is a major expense, you basically have almost a family income all to yourself.

(One more fact to substantiate how wrong the above poster is: starting pay for a university graduate - and they are usually the better earners - is S$2400-2700. It goes up to S$3000 after about 3 years of working experience.)

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 4:13 pm

And your point is?!?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 4:41 pm

Unless he is Asian, he won't be a construction worker in Singapore.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:20 pm

thats it what i mean!...thank you sms

as far i know,only asian people work in construction with that salaries...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless he is Asian, he won't be a construction worker in Singapore.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:21 pm

:) sms already answered!

beppi wrote:And your point is?!?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:54 pm

oezcan kaplan wrote:thats it what i mean!...thank you sms

as far i know,only asian people work in construction with that salaries...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless he is Asian, he won't be a construction worker in Singapore.


As usual, your limited knowledge of nuances in the English language have hoist you by your own petard once again.

The fact that only Asian Construction workers are here, doesn't mean one cannot live off 3K a month, especially with the largest single expense already taken care of (rent). I know expats who are also living off salaries in the 3K range without the benefit of housing being provided.

Counting his share of the utilities and internet/TV connections which are probably covered as well, would translate to somewhere around 4.5K/mo. This is not a bad salary at all for even a local engineer with 4 or 5 years experience. The OP has not indicated his position or anything else, so I'm guessing that he's probably in the Sales/Marketing line, possibly investment portfolios (he's commission based) so he could be making considerably more. I'd be willing to bet he's planning on socking away all of his commissions, hence his question about basing his ability to live here only on his salary.

So I really didn't answer for you and once again, you have possibly let your mouth overload your butt. :wink:

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
oezcan kaplan wrote:thats it what i mean!...thank you sms

as far i know,only asian people work in construction with that salaries...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless he is Asian, he won't be a construction worker in Singapore.


As usual, your limited knowledge of nuances in the English language have hoist you by your own petard once again.

The fact that only Asian Construction workers are here, doesn't mean one cannot live off 3K a month, especially with the largest single expense already taken care of (rent). I know expats who are also living off salaries in the 3K range without the benefit of housing being provided.

Counting his share of the utilities and internet/TV connections which are probably covered as well, would translate to somewhere around 4.5K/mo. This is not a bad salary at all for even a local engineer with 4 or 5 years experience. The OP has not indicated his position or anything else, so I'm guessing that he's probably in the Sales/Marketing line, possibly investment portfolios (he's commission based) so he could be making considerably more. I'd be willing to bet he's planning on socking away all of his commissions, hence his question about basing his ability to live here only on his salary.

So I really didn't answer for you and once again, you have possibly let your mouth overload your butt. :wink:


I think it's a google translate special language......

With 3k spending money, the OP will even be able to afford a weekly trip to OT for 'networking'!!

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:34 am

I don't believe construction workers of any nationality earn more than S$3000 (or equivalent) anywhere in the world. But they all manage!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:36 am

beppi wrote:I don't believe construction workers of any nationality earn more than S$3000 (or equivalent) anywhere in the world. But they all manage!


And accommodate a regular Geyland trip in their budget :roll:

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:36 am

:) again stepping on the same topic!!!!

Billy,feel free ,its not a translation tool :)

BillyB wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
oezcan kaplan wrote:thats it what i mean!...thank you sms

as far i know,only asian people work in construction with that salaries...

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unless he is Asian, he won't be a construction worker in Singapore.


As usual, your limited knowledge of nuances in the English language have hoist you by your own petard once again.

The fact that only Asian Construction workers are here, doesn't mean one cannot live off 3K a month, especially with the largest single expense already taken care of (rent). I know expats who are also living off salaries in the 3K range without the benefit of housing being provided.

Counting his share of the utilities and internet/TV connections which are probably covered as well, would translate to somewhere around 4.5K/mo. This is not a bad salary at all for even a local engineer with 4 or 5 years experience. The OP has not indicated his position or anything else, so I'm guessing that he's probably in the Sales/Marketing line, possibly investment portfolios (he's commission based) so he could be making considerably more. I'd be willing to bet he's planning on socking away all of his commissions, hence his question about basing his ability to live here only on his salary.

So I really didn't answer for you and once again, you have possibly let your mouth overload your butt. :wink:


I think it's a google translate special language......

With 3k spending money, the OP will even be able to afford a weekly trip to OT for 'networking'!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest