Singapore Expats Forum

MOM Waiver for 2 years on new EP and S Pass Salary Tiers

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:01 pm

Just found the below notice on EP Online.

Looks like MOM will waive the new salary tiers / requirements for work visas going up for renewal and are affected by the new changes.

This would be a one time waiver and all subsequent renewals would be under new guidelines.

Should help a lot of the so called sandwiched class.

Online Message - Message PEPOLOMBG002

Message Details
Message ID : 110530462994
Sent Date : 30/05/2011
Message Subject : Renewal for EP/S passes which will expire on or after 1 July 2011

1. From 1 July 2011, the EP salary threshold would be raised to $8,000, $4,000, $2,800 for the P1, P2, Q1 pass respectively, while the S pass salary threshold would be $2,000. For existing EP and S pass holders whose passes expire on or after 1 July 2011, and are affected by these changes, MOM will grant a one-off renewal of up to 2 years.

2. Pass holders who apply for early renewal before 1 July 2011 and those who apply for renewal after 1 July 2011 will be treated equally and given the same one-off renewal. Subsequent renewal applications will be assessed based on the prevailing work pass criteria.

Yours faithfully,
Work Pass Division

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 4:02 pm

You are about 4 or 5 weeks late with that. Rather old newsHaven't you been reading the threads here about my jousting with MOM lately? :P

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Tue, 14 Jun 2011 4:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You are about 4 or 5 weeks late with that. Rather old newsHaven't you been reading the threads here about my jousting with MOM lately? :P

Yea just thought I would highlight it for others who just skim us on the surface for whom it would build awarness 8-)

karanrao1837

New Tier

Postby karanrao1837 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 3:58 pm

Hi SMS I'm a bit unclear on our status. My wife just had her EP renewed after 2 years for another 2 years last month. Her salary is still at $2500 but she may get a raise to $3500 soon. Does she get a P2 as this will be her first application for P2 or will the new norms apply for her case?

Thanks,
K

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: New Tier

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 4:05 pm

karanrao1837 wrote:Hi SMS I'm a bit unclear on our status. My wife just had her EP renewed after 2 years for another 2 years last month. Her salary is still at $2500 but she may get a raise to $3500 soon. Does she get a P2 as this will be her first application for P2 or will the new norms apply for her case?

Thanks,
K

Please read message above.

If this is her first renewal after new salary limits were announced she would be renewed under same visa type.

All future renewals would fall under the new requirements.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 7:07 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
karanrao1837 wrote:Hi SMS I'm a bit unclear on our status. My wife just had her EP renewed after 2 years for another 2 years last month. Her salary is still at $2500 but she may get a raise to $3500 soon. Does she get a P2 as this will be her first application for P2 or will the new norms apply for her case?

Thanks,
K

If this is her first renewal after new salary limits were announced she would be renewed under same visa type.

Although the message doesn't tell this explicitly, the way I read that message is that if the new rules causes a downgrade of pass only then a waiver will be given. For eg, if a person was on 3600$ then that person wont be downgraded as a one off waiver. But if a persons salary increases to 3500$, I dont think he/she will get a P2.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 7:18 pm

revhappy wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:

Thanks,
K

I think rev dude rephrased it more accurately.

Although the message doesn't tell this explicitly, the way I read that message is that if the new rules causes a downgrade of pass only then a waiver will be given. For eg, if a person was on 3600$ then that person wont be downgraded as a one off waiver. But if a persons salary increases to 3500$, I dont think he/she will get a P2.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:03 pm

For the record, It doesn't matter what your income levels are. If you are a Q pass holder and your salary is raised to $5k/mo you will probably still be a Q pass holder. Higher salaries do not equate to higher Passes. Only MINIMUM salaries have any thing to do with passes. It takes a certain minimum to qualify for a given pass, but there is NO maximum salary for that particular pass level. In fact, I know S pass holder making 4.5k/mo for several years.

Regardless of what you apply for (which, by the way, you only choice is "EP" or "will you consider an S pass if not eligible for an EP". You do not get to choose which level of pass you get from MOM. They decide on what pass to give you. Right now, even if you get a large increase, just be thankful it's been renewed.

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Postby ausinsg » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 3:05 am

Interesting news. Does this mean there will be the flow through effect that a local sponsoring a foreign spouse will now need to earn at least S$2800 per month?

Just thinking out aloud. :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 3:46 am

ausinsg wrote:Interesting news. Does this mean there will be the flow through effect that a local sponsoring a foreign spouse will now need to earn at least S$2800 per month?

Just thinking out aloud. :)

Probably but talking to some friends there, looks more like $3K min. salary although it not stated physically. Do not quote me on this as this is my observation only
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

karanrao1837

Postby karanrao1837 » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:07 am

I guess you can't be clearer than that SMS! I agree that we're lucky to get a renewal given the present situation. The reason we are keen to move up from EP to P2 is that our daughter who had a DP turned 21 and we cannot sponsor her stay under the LTSVP unless my wife's status is P2. This is why we want to get the P2. If she manages to get her salary raised to $ 3500 does she get her P2 or any other suggestions as our daughter now has to stay away from us with some relatives - not a happy situation as you can imagine!
Last edited by karanrao1837 on Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: MOM Waiver for 2 years on new EP and S Pass Salary Tiers

Postby revhappy » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:13 am

karanrao1837 wrote:I guess you can't be clearer than that SMS! I agree that we're lucky to get a renewal given the present situation. The reason we are keep to move up from EP to P2 is that our daughter who had a DP turned 21 and we cannot sponsor her stay under the LTSVP unless my wife's status is P2. This is why we want to get the P2. If she manages to get her salary raised to $ 3500 does she get her P2 or ant other suggestions as our daughter now has to stay away from us with some relatives - not a happy situation as you can see!

How about student visa in case she is still studying?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:15 am

karanrao1837 wrote:I guess you can't be clearer than that SMS! I agree that we're lucky to get a renewal given the present situation. The reason we are keen to move up from EP to P2 is that our daughter who had a DP turned 21 and we cannot sponsor her stay under the LTSVP unless my wife's status is P2. This is why we want to get the P2. If she manages to get her salary raised to $ 3500 does she get her P2 or any other suggestions as our daughter now has to stay away from us with some relatives - not a happy situation as you can imagine!

She's 21, time to cut the apron strings and for her to get out into the real world :cool:

karanrao1837

Postby karanrao1837 » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:19 am

No I'm afraid she is not studying at the moment.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:21 am

karanrao1837 wrote:I guess you can't be clearer than that SMS! I agree that we're lucky to get a renewal given the present situation. The reason we are keen to move up from EP to P2 is that our daughter who had a DP turned 21 and we cannot sponsor her stay under the LTSVP unless my wife's status is P2. This is why we want to get the P2. If she manages to get her salary raised to $ 3500 does she get her P2 or any other suggestions as our daughter now has to stay away from us with some relatives - not a happy situation as you can imagine!

If I were 21 (again) I would be very happy not to be living with my parents.