Singapore Expats Forum

Citizenship application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:05 pm

You mean they're not? :o :mrgreen:

Image

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You mean they're not? :o :mrgreen:

Image


I demand an apology .. for clubbing Sri Lankans with Indians :D :D

Well, there's a thousand year history there .. so let's put that aside .. :)

BT_M
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 04 Sep 2011

Postby BT_M » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 6:45 pm

ecureilx wrote:MS: the OP had stated that he is from Sri Lanka ... but ICA has this tendency to place Sri Lankan's as "INDIAN" unless asked ... :(


So it clearly shows criteria for citizenship application is not tightened, regardless of race or religion, so long one has been PR for more than 5 years.

It's only the PR application that shows big differences in success rate depending on the origin.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:30 pm

BT_M wrote:
ecureilx wrote:MS: the OP had stated that he is from Sri Lanka ... but ICA has this tendency to place Sri Lankan's as "INDIAN" unless asked ... :(


So it clearly shows criteria for citizenship application is not tightened, regardless of race or religion, so long one has been PR for more than 5 years.

It's only the PR application that shows big differences in success rate depending on the origin.


No, I beg to differ, not going to backup my words, or provide private details, but a few citizenship applications, of those who have been here longer, too, have been rejected ..

It Has been tightened ..

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:38 am

BT_M wrote:
ecureilx wrote:MS: the OP had stated that he is from Sri Lanka ... but ICA has this tendency to place Sri Lankan's as "INDIAN" unless asked ... :(


So it clearly shows criteria for citizenship application is not tightened, regardless of race or religion, so long one has been PR for more than 5 years.

It's only the PR application that shows big differences in success rate depending on the origin.


Incorrect since Sri Lankan population are generally Sinhalese and pretty much Buddhism , Christians
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Sri_Lanka
Citizenship application is by invitation and SOP is min. 6 years PR prior application. However OP studied in Local Uni which is a plus. It will interesting to see his religion.
Big difference between Indian from India and Sri Lankan
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:12 am

big difference between sri lankans and indians. In fact there are fierce emotions involved here. It's akin to how fired up singaporeans/taiwanese get when you call them chinese(PRC).
anyway to answer the question, i'm a muslim.
MS: no, my wife's PR application is still pending. If it get's rejected, i'll just wait a year and apply again (since many things have changed since the first application [she has graduated with her degree, i've become singaporean] etc...). At least now we can do some long term planning here...
Last edited by AndrewV on Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:15 am

BT_M wrote:
So it clearly shows criteria for citizenship application is not tightened, regardless of race or religion, so long one has been PR for more than 5 years.

It's only the PR application that shows big differences in success rate depending on the origin.

at the risk of sounding arrogant(so forgive me for this), I would say they are much more selective in terms of quality of the applicant now. All my friends who graduated with me, who applied, have gotten their citizenship. While those whom I Know who just came here to work, have difficulty even getting permanent residency.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:22 pm

AndrewV wrote:
BT_M wrote:
So it clearly shows criteria for citizenship application is not tightened, regardless of race or religion, so long one has been PR for more than 5 years.

It's only the PR application that shows big differences in success rate depending on the origin.

at the risk of sounding arrogant(so forgive me for this), I would say they are much more selective in terms of quality of the applicant now. All my friends who graduated with me, who applied, have gotten their citizenship. While those whom I Know who just came here to work, have difficulty even getting permanent residency.


I have my suspicion you are a Muslim and I am right. You did not fall into the other category on severe backlash. Anyway congrats and good luck with your wife PR. Now you can use the MPs to help on your PR if need be
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:26 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
I have my suspicion you are a Muslim and I am right. You did not fall into the other category on severe backlash. Anyway congrats and good luck with your wife PR. Now you can use the MPs to help on your PR if need be


thanks, if you don't mind me asking, which category is there a severe backlash against ? (subtle hints also can :D)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:46 pm

those with masters? :P

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 2:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:those with masters? :P

I wouldn't have gotten this a month back, but i do now :D

azp123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu, 26 Aug 2010

Postby azp123 » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 3:26 pm

guys, it is just not masters, it is MASTERS with a premier institution..

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 3:39 pm

azp123 wrote:guys, it is just not masters, it is MASTERS with a premier institution..

nope, its MASTER from a TOP university in XXXXX :?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 4:37 pm

Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 14 Oct 2011 5:32 pm

+1 genuine lol :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests