Singapore Expats Forum

Is age considered by employer?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

kuzyone.
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri, 29 Oct 2010

Postby kuzyone. » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 9:47 pm

I think this has to be the best summary of the board:

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We've already answered the original question, now we are having a discussion. This is normal in these threads. The only one who usually thinks otherwise is the original poster who didn't quite get the answer he was wishing for so wants to continue the discussion till maybe someone pipes up with an answer that more fits his wishes. Who knows, might happen.......


Usually after the forth post the topic runs in another direction.

That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.


Another thing... did you know there should only be one space after a sentence and not two?? I can't help it I keep putting two spaces :-|

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:19 pm

kuzyone. wrote:Another thing... did you know there should only be one space after a sentence and not two?? I can't help it I keep putting two spaces :-|


Another thing... did you know there should only be one question mark after a sentence and not two?? :P

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:45 pm

kuzyone. wrote:Another thing... did you know there should only be one space after a sentence and not two?? I can't help it I keep putting two spaces :-|


Actually, this is a matter of style:

Until the 20th century, publishing houses and printers in many countries used single, but enlarged, spaces between sentences.[5] There were exceptions to this traditional spacing method—printers in some countries preferred single spacing.[6] This was French spacing—a term synonymous with single space sentence spacing until the late 20th century.[7] Double spacing,[8] or placing two spaces between sentences (sometimes referred to as English spacing), came into widespread use with the introduction of the typewriter in the late 19th century.[9] It was felt that with the monospaced font used by a typewriter, "a single word space ... was not wide enough to create a sufficient space between sentences"[10] and that extra space might help signal the end of a sentence.[11] This caused a widespread change in practice. From the late 19th century, printers were told to ignore their typesetting manuals in favor of typewriter spacing; Monotype and Linotype operators used double sentence spacing[11] and this was widely taught in typing classes.[12]


sauce: wikipedia article on sentence spacing. reference 8 is Felici, James (2003). The Complete Manual of Typography. Berkeley, CA: Peachpit Press. ISBN 0-321-12730-7.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:12 pm

kuzyone. wrote:That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.

Er, 1) He is Turkish not Russian
2) He went to great lengths from the get-go to impress on us how good his English is.
3) He's seeking our help. What effort he needs to make to absorb it is 2ndary.
4) He went through almost exactly the same thing a year ago (to the same general response), but even worse started using multiple id's. Just about anything is game versus such trolling. He's lucky his a/c hasn't been simply zapped.


Edit: typos
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:33 pm

Oh only if he was at least as accommodating as this Turk...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:46 pm

What was that? How many $$$ do you lose doing it?

'I am entitled. I have Master. How dare you! [etc etc etc]'

richie303
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue, 27 Apr 2010
Location: East Coast

Postby richie303 » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 1:26 pm

I love to see such cunning linguists on the forum!


;) :P
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 3:56 pm

:lol: russian !
turkish or german ?

just decide and drop a posting before writing something

kuzyone. wrote:I think this has to be the best summary of the board:

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We've already answered the original question, now we are having a discussion. This is normal in these threads. The only one who usually thinks otherwise is the original poster who didn't quite get the answer he was wishing for so wants to continue the discussion till maybe someone pipes up with an answer that more fits his wishes. Who knows, might happen.......


Usually after the forth post the topic runs in another direction.

That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.


Another thing... did you know there should only be one space after a sentence and not two?? I can't help it I keep putting two spaces :-|

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:01 pm

:wink: i like you
you will recognise me easily when we meet there!

JR8 wrote:
kuzyone. wrote:That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.

Er, 1) He is Turkish not Russian
2) He went to great lengths from the get-go to impress on us how good his English is.
3) He's seeking our help. What effort he needs to make to absorb it is 2ndary.
4) He went through almost exactly the same thing a year ago (to the same general response), but even worse started using multiple id's. Just about anything is game versus such trolling. He's lucky his a/c hasn't been simply zapped.


Edit: typos

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:10 pm

oh ,i am sorry i wish if i were drunk...
so that i could understand what the matter is with those guys

JayCee wrote:
oezcan kaplan wrote:if someone wastes time on forums during office hours,how will singapore grow with foreigners?

it seems that locals should re-employ!


JR8 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Tanrı gerçekten bir topuz vardır knob-end. Hiçbir anlamda, bu yüzden, kesinlikle Singapur çalışmak için gerçek bir şans elde etmek için ücretsizdir yazmak.
Ama siz öyle devam edelim değil, eğlence için bir forum oluşturmuştur.


Some things seem to get lost in translation hehehe....


Are you drunk?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 4:38 pm

oezcan kaplan wrote::wink: i like you
you will recognise me easily when we meet there!

JR8 wrote:
kuzyone. wrote:That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.

Er, 1) He is Turkish not Russian
2) He went to great lengths from the get-go to impress on us how good his English is.
3) He's seeking our help. What effort he needs to make to absorb it is 2ndary.
4) He went through almost exactly the same thing a year ago (to the same general response), but even worse started using multiple id's. Just about anything is game versus such trolling. He's lucky his a/c hasn't been simply zapped.


Edit: typos


Well yes my orange fur is a bit of a giveaway I suppose! :oops:

p.s. What progress have you made today on getting to Singapore?

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 5:26 pm

......you will be informed!

JR8 wrote:
oezcan kaplan wrote::wink: i like you
you will recognise me easily when we meet there!

JR8 wrote:
kuzyone. wrote:That poor russian guy. I've done the same on google translate to go from English to Japanese. It takes a lot of effort and comparisons just to complete one sentence. The time and patience this guy has to respond to your posts is admirable and a bit unusual. I mean he may even need to translate your english to russian in order to partially figure out what is being said.

Er, 1) He is Turkish not Russian
2) He went to great lengths from the get-go to impress on us how good his English is.
3) He's seeking our help. What effort he needs to make to absorb it is 2ndary.
4) He went through almost exactly the same thing a year ago (to the same general response), but even worse started using multiple id's. Just about anything is game versus such trolling. He's lucky his a/c hasn't been simply zapped.


Edit: typos


Well yes my orange fur is a bit of a giveaway I suppose! :oops:

p.s. What progress have you made today on getting to Singapore?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 5:39 pm

Unfortunately, I think is was a rhetorical question as obviously you haven't made any more progress than you had 6 months or so ago in your other guise.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 5:48 pm

Well that was my point. Rather than dicking about on this forum, the OP should have a direction and path towards getting into SG. He doesn't, and as long as he doesn't he never will.

p.s. Bit of a shame he's turned out to be a half-ar$ed troll too...

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Thu, 16 Jun 2011 7:11 pm

This thread had such potential for hilarity but it petered out. I think I'm going to go re-read the one about the neighbour's cigarette smoking. :cool:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests