Singapore Expats Forum

Is age considered by employer?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Is age considered by employer?

Postby oezcan kaplan » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:04 pm

I am 45 years with wide experiences in related business and would to have some responses to my posting.

Is age considered by employer?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:36 pm

Unfortunately, yes.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:27 am

So,do you think i do not have any occasion to proceed further!
anyway,is there any sense to apply for some job openings?

Age is something relative case that is up to employer!

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, yes.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:35 am

oezcan kaplan wrote:So,do you think i do not have any occasion to proceed further!
anyway,is there any sense to apply for some job openings?

Age is something relative case that is up to employer!

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, yes.


:???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Why don't you just try applying? Given enough attempts, you may just get lucky.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:03 am

Hello

i will do this.

English,Turkish ,German ,Russian are excellent and Chinese at middle level+wide Business experiences..........i suppose i should send my particulars!

nakatago wrote:
oezcan kaplan wrote:So,do you think i do not have any occasion to proceed further!
anyway,is there any sense to apply for some job openings?

Age is something relative case that is up to employer!

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, yes.


:???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

Why don't you just try applying? Given enough attempts, you may just get lucky.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue, 27 Apr 2010
Location: East Coast

Postby richie303 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 9:46 am

You must also consider the flip side of this... I was told that I get paid less because of my age (33) if I was older I'd get more for more years experience in Singapore.

Maybe you'll get a half decent salary? Theirs a chap in my condo who is English and 44 and got across here for a job without issue! he's since moved to another company too.
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 10:28 am

Richie, that only works up to a point. I'm 63, it no longer works! :mad:

richie303
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue, 27 Apr 2010
Location: East Coast

Postby richie303 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:25 pm

Yes, I guess it may stop working at some point SMS. :roll:

but in your 40's then it should still be ok right?
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:35 pm

It will depend where he is in the hierachy. Higher up, shouldn't be a problem, depending on the industry, mid-levels could possibly be. But cannot know without trying. There are exception to everything as we all know. Right now, we are walking on very thin ice as we don't really know what is happening at the moment. While the company might be willing to hire, we don't know what MOM will do.

richie303
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue, 27 Apr 2010
Location: East Coast

Postby richie303 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 1:58 pm

Granted, until the new Minister is settled and what their decision is.

I am pleased I got a PEP last year! ;)
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 2:45 pm

richie303 wrote:Granted, until the new Minister is settled and what their decision is.

I am pleased I got a PEP last year! ;)


Abuser? Or are you seriously looking to get PR -> Citizenship? ;-)

Okay, don't answer that! :o :lol: You never know who's lurking around these forums. I was recently {~around 2/3 weeks ago} invited to an interview with/by a director at MOM with regard to streamlining their appeals process - via this board - where we got nice accolades from the MOM for what we have been doing here. :cool:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 2:59 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: via this board


crap---RUN!

:P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:06 pm

'struth! :cool:

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:43 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Abuser? Or are you seriously looking to get PR -> Citizenship? ;-)


Is it abusing though? A PEP doesn't get you any of the benefits of PR nor do they say anywhere that it is created as a stepping stone for people to get PR and then citizenship, in my case I just took it because I was invited and it would eradicate the need for EP renewals every couple of years, but there was nothing on the invitation letter to say I'd be expected to take PR at the end of it.

oezcan kaplan
Regular
Regular
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri, 27 May 2011

Postby oezcan kaplan » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 4:49 pm

Maturity is related to age as well and i suppose there are some employers they discriminate age but its something abstract case that means not all of them undertake this issue.

Experience comes with maturity!

richie303 wrote:You must also consider the flip side of this... I was told that I get paid less because of my age (33) if I was older I'd get more for more years experience in Singapore.

Maybe you'll get a half decent salary? Theirs a chap in my condo who is English and 44 and got across here for a job without issue! he's since moved to another company too.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest