Singapore Expats Forum

Are Singaporeans allergic to smile :)

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
deepsea13

Postby deepsea13 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:26 am

I just told you what sumone told me. He basically said..." Our education system is so messed up, because once we're done with school, we have to either go to JC or Poly or wherever for a couple of yrs depending on our grades and den only we can go university for a degree. And that's why all the foreigners take up our jobs."

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:13 am

Doesn't that sound a little bit stupid to you? Sure does to me? Most people who have suitable qualifications have to go through similar educational systems and are around the same ages when they finish and start looking for jobs as well.

But then again, you have to remember, the males in this country have to have maids to carry their backpacks while in the Military and they also whine about the Singapore women getting out of schools 2 years earlier and taking their jobs as well. I think all Singapore males should be made to carry a fetus for 9 months and then have to breast feed 'em for another 2 years to let 'em know just how easy they've got it. They are the biggest bunch of whiners I've ever met. It's not any wonder at all why lots local girls go for foreigners. Not too much to choose from locally for them. Image

deepsea13

Postby deepsea13 » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:09 pm

yeah I personally wouldn't know...I've been here a month and the first singaporean i interacted with told me this, so yeah...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:36 pm

What he conveniently forgot to tell you was that it's only 10 years to O levels and 2 years to A levels (JC) which is the same equivalent as a High School Diploma in the US. Then you can go to University same as here. You will soon see that they are consummate whiners here. If fact, I would almost think it's the girls who have the cojones here! :lol:

atsail

Postby atsail » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 1:48 pm

Agree! Many singaporeans are so stiff, they can't even take a light conversation or smile from nice strangers. They need to live a little

sammone40
Regular
Regular

Postby sammone40 » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 6:46 pm

totally agree! thought it was just me :)

Have a nice day wouldn't hurt once in a while I think staff at nicer shopping malls Marketplace / GNC / Fitness First are better though.

Hawker stand people are friendlier than those in shops even!

think uniformity has created a more serious outlook for some..?
**How many times will we say the world is not enough. Be one with the earth**

sammone40
Regular
Regular

Postby sammone40 » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 6:49 pm

to be fair though - "hi, how are you?" didn't always elicit a positive (if at all) response the last week I was in London though..

Then again I was smiliing every day that week :)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 7:01 pm

atsail wrote:they can't even take a light conversation or smile from nice strangers.

Oh they can take light conversation, I and the other regulars can assure you of that. Not generalizing of course, but that's the current zeitgeist.

Amirite, SMS?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 9:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
atsail wrote:they can't even take a light conversation or smile from nice strangers.

Oh they can take light conversation, I and the other regulars can assure you of that. Not generalizing of course, but that's the current zeitgeist.

Amirite, SMS?

Armorite, MRT-proof luggage?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:39 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:

Amirite, SMS?

Armorite, MRT-proof luggage?

walao eh...

dun wan. you are bad one!

deepsea13

Postby deepsea13 » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 2:06 am

Ok, off topic...but i earlier mentioned how alot of SIngaporeans cry about the educational system here. SO basically how does it work after they give there O levels? and where does Polytechnic come into the picture?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Aug 2011 6:55 am

Not enough time this morning, but Mad Scientist posts a good graphic a while back showing the progression from N & O levels to tertiary educations. I can find it at the moment but basically:

N level ---> ITE (Institute of Technical Education) Trade school

O level ---> Polytechnic ---> University
---> A levels ---> University

There are other permutations but at search of the MOE website can produce better info there.

http://www.moe.edu.sg/

applepievn

Postby applepievn » Fri, 12 Aug 2011 1:02 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but not new to Singapore (I've been here 7 years).
I can "assure" you that it is not your problem or just you but it's Singaporeans' general attitude. Coming from a similar background (I'm south-east Asian), I can find some reasons to explain why they are not so friendly, although those are just some lame excuses :)

In general Asians are shy. In my own culture (which is quite similar to some other Asian cultures), we're usually shy to start a conversation with strangers (not really that we're unfriendly) but for me a smile doesn't hurt. S'reans take it more extreme and that's why they don't smile. Moreover, Singaporeans have this phobia of thieves/pickpockets/cons/... so they tend to keep distant with others in public just to be in the "safe" side.

One eg. scenario

(Let say they smile first => you (who they think can be a con?!?) smile back => you start a conversation => they HAVE TO reply (because they're the one who smiled first) => you trick them or something (if you're really a con) => they're fooled => the lesson they draw out is: should not smile at the first place).

The scenario above can happen in theory (and it does happen in many countries) but it's kind of ridiculous in Singapore where the crime rate is so low. If you say you've been to neighbouring countries like Indonesia, VN or Thailand and ppl there are much friendlier, sometimes because they're also nosier and more curious about foreigners. I've heard ppl complain when they go to my home town that at first ppl say hello to them and they say hello back, but after a while there are too many "hellos" on the street that you can't reply to all. Both are extreme cases, do you prefer being ignored or being greeted by every single soul you meet? Well it all depends on the situation and your own preference.

Shoot, I think I'm being very lengthy here. My point is it's common here when ppl don't make eye contact with you or they don't smile. Don't feel bad about yourself and (very unfortunately) if you stay here too long like me you may behave a bit like them as well. Sadly I find Singaporeans don't even talk to neighbours etc., which is another weird/sad story.

Anw, welcome to Singapore :)
I don't have a signature :P

sammone40
Regular
Regular

applepievn

Postby sammone40 » Fri, 12 Aug 2011 1:15 pm

Nice thoughts applepievn

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Aug 2011 2:43 pm

I'd have to agree with applepievn's summation to a large extent. When I bought my HDB flat 12 years ago, it was rather funny in the beginning as where I'm from we ALWAYS greet people in the neighbourhood when passing, even if it's only to say good morning/evening. In fact, once you make eye contact, a greeting is almost expected. So, when I was doing the renovations to my flat, I was back & forth to the hardware & electrical shops daily/several times a day. I pass someone, I'd greet them. I'd also get funny stares as they stammered and hesitated before returning a greeting.

I often said, in response to the lack of courtesy here, that it starts with you. If you don't confront discourteous head on, then you are tacitly agreeing with the inconsiderate behaviour. Will it make a difference? No. Not immediately anyway, but as more and more get the message that it's not okay, then change, albeit slowly, starts happening.

So, my neighbours in the estate (and not just the ones in my block) finally figured out that that crazy angmo is going to speak to me come hell or high water, eventually, even if I didn't they would greet me cause they knew it was coming. Now, in my estate, I see them greeting other's who are not necessarily Singaporean or of the same race. It's a good feeling. Whether they take it with them outside the estate is another story, but changes can be made. Even if it's by a crazy angmo who they, for some strange reason, always thought I looked familiar! ;-)

It is very hard to bridge the difference, the east/west divide, especially in the heartlands. It's easier today, but 20 years ago, it was virtually impossible without meeting them further than half way. I found, what for me, was an ideal solution, that worked better than I had ever anticipated it would/could. I'm basically an introvert. But I started working part time for SBC back in 1988 as a part time actor. In 18 years I acted (not as an extra) in over 100 Mandarin drama serials from 1988 to 2006. I've acted with all the old famous one including Zoe Tay (Pretty Faces) and Fann Wong (Golden Pillow) to just name a few. ;-) This has made me easily recognized in kopitiams, buses & MRt trains. So, even the office kopi lady has seen me over and over again, including even today as they are all being run in the afternoon rerun time slots as well. So, even with very little English at all, the curiosity gets the best of 'em. "You, ah, SBC izzit?" So if I happen to know which series is on I'll reply "Yeah, Mr. Brown" or whoever. All the barriers come down immediately.

One just has to find out what works, and you can bridge the divide.