Singapore Expats

PR Rejected :(

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 3:23 pm

carteki wrote:(I do know that in about mid 2009 the MOM was ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING P1's to convert to PEP's - some of whom would never have taken it up otherwise.)
You just described my situation perfectly, I didn't even know what a PEP was until I got the invitation letter and I didn't intend to settle down in Singapore at that time.

As my personal circumstances have changed though I will be applying for PR later this year after I've paid my tax (this is the third tax return I will have completed - yes SMS I did read the forms :D :lol: ). I'll post here and let the board know how I get on if anyone is interested

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 4:45 pm

It's that kind of updates that keeps this board able to help people, so by all means let us know how she goes! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 8:28 pm

carteki wrote:(I do know that in about mid 2009 the MOM was ACTIVELY ENCOURAGING P1's to convert to PEP's - some of whom would never have taken it up otherwise.)
Not only P1s but also P2s and as early as 2007 so right after it was introduced.

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:26 am

carteki wrote:SMS - thank you for pointing that out - my bad! I got the CPF scheme confused with the supplementary retirement scheme http://app.mof.gov.sg/supplementary_ret ... cheme.aspx which foreigners CAN contribute to.

Sanky: It is unlikely that if the EP is declined that you will get a PEP, so I would suggest applying for the PEP 1st (you can apply for an EP if the PEP is declined).
The PEP removes the onus of responsibility from the employer to the employee. Therefore she can move jobs without requiring a new work permit and she has 6 months to stay in Singapore without being employed. There is a minimum annual salary requirement (once you have received it), but that is only $2,500 per month. It is only ever issued ONCE (per the rules at the moment), the thinking being that after 5 years the employee either takes up PR, goes home or goes back to a normal EP.

Regarding your employability - it really depends on how you "sell" the fact that you are a DP to your potential employer. SMS will know more about it, but they don't need to apply for a work permit, just a letter of consent http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx. Many employers don't know about this.
Dear Carteki, I thank you much for giving us a new direction. I appreciate your time and help :)

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 12:38 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One thing about it. If she were to apply for a PEP right now, she may or may not get it. This is even if she qualifies for it. If she doesn't get the PEP though, it will be a good harbinger of things not yet happened. If she doesn't get the PEP, she will still be able to continue on her EP for however long she can. However, if she is rejected for the PEP even though her time here or her income levels are high enough, then the odds of getting PR are lessened considerably.

The PEP was instituted as a method to make the transition between highly qualified EP holders that could possibly be an asset to Singapore (elevating the depleted gene pool here) and gaining PR. It was to allow those people to have the flexibility of changing employers due to the vagaries of the business world without having to possibly leave Singapore, therefore losing a possible new citizen. Unfortunately, everybody saw it as nothing more than a 5 year visa. Now they are tightening up there as well.

Having said all that, it would still be a good idea to apply to see what the prognosis looks like and maybe allow you to reformulate long term plans.
Dear SMS, thank you for your valuable suggestions :)

Now that she has been refused PR and there are lesser chances of getting her PEP if she applies, could you please give us a time frame after which she could try for PEP? We would go by what you suggest SMS. (By the way her EP is to be renewed coming December)

Thanks for your inputs x9200 and Jaycee.

You are all great as always been. Cheers !!! :)

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 2:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:One thing about it. If she were to apply for a PEP right now, she may or may not get it. This is even if she qualifies for it.
Dear SMS, now that she has been refused PR and there are lesser chances of getting her PEP if she applies, could you please give us a time frame after which she could try for PEP?. We would go by what you suggest.

Also I was going through PEP application details at the MOM website. It says' P1, P2 and Q1 Pass holders are eligible to bring his/her spouse and children under 21 years of age on Dependant's Passes. A P Pass holder can also bring his/her parents and parents-in-law on Long Term Visit Passes.'.

In PEP application, under DP and LTVP secction, it says that 'Please note that if your Dependant(s) has/have never been issued with a Dependant’s Pass/ Long-Term Visit Pass, you will need to fill up Form 12 (Dependant’s Pass Application) or Form 14 (Long-Term Visit Pass application) for them' .

My wife's doesnt have parents and I dont have dad. So based on the PEP application, I am eligible for DP (spouse) and my mother LTVP (parent in law)

So does it mean that while she is applying for PEP, she can apply for my DP and my mother's LTVP as well? Or she can only apply for DP and LTVP after she gets her PEP?

Thanks for your time in advance :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 3:34 pm

I believe it should be filed at the same time. That is why it's noted on the PEP application form. To ensure it gets done at the same time to avoid any unpleasantness later when having to apply separately later on.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 3:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I believe it should be filed at the same time. That is why it's noted on the PEP application form. To ensure it gets done at the same time to avoid any unpleasantness later when having to apply separately later on.
Thanks SMS. Sounds great :-({|=

I am still awaiting your answer for my first question :wink:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Dear SMS, now that she has been refused PR and there are lesser chances of getting her PEP if she applies, could you please give us a time frame after which she could try for PEP?. We would go by what you suggest.
Appreciate your time :)

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 4:04 pm

PR applications go through ICA, PEP will go through the MOM so there's no reason why she can't apply for PEP now.

Reply from younger better looking version of SMS

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 5:57 pm

I'll give you the younger part. But that's all! :P

sanky_001

Post by sanky_001 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:08 pm

Saint wrote:PR applications go through ICA, PEP will go through the MOM so there's no reason why she can't apply for PEP now.
Thanks Saint. Will do that then. Appreciate your time :)
Saint wrote:Reply from younger better looking version of SMS
:lol: :lol: :lol: