Singapore Expats

Suggestions for a good treadmill

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tina1980
Regular
Regular

Suggestions for a good treadmill

Post by tina1980 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:24 pm

We are planning to buy a treadmill since our condo does not have a gym !

Any suggestions on a good one that does not make a huge hole in our pockets ! I presume it is a good time to buy one with the GSS on but the options are numerous and I do not have a clue on what to look for since I have never had the need to buy one , just use the one in the gym ... Few of them seem to be priced at 3000SGD at Kettler - yikes !
Last edited by tina1980 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Suggestions for a good treadmill

Post by ksl » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 3:09 am

tina1980 wrote:We are planning to buy a treadmill since our condo does not have a gym !

Any suggestions on a good one that does not make a huge hole in our pockets ! I presume it is a good time to buy one with the GSS on but the options are numerous and I do not have a clue on what to look for since I have never had the need to buy one , just use the one in the gym ... Few of them seem to be priced at 3000SGD at Kettler - yikes !
If it's for weight loss, you are better off with an elliptical machine as they burn more calories and work more muscle than the tread mill. It is also easier than running, you may have seen them, they look like a skiing machine with handles.

You will burn twice as many calories than a tread mill and it's very good for endurance building also.

The tread mill is also okay, though calories burnt in one hr will be much less.

To get a good deal, you should ask around at any of the GYM's for a second hand one, they normally get sold off after a while and have 3 month guarantees. A good tread mill will set you back 3k and the cheaper ones break down more easy

AIBI is okay, you can pick them up secondhand on Gumtree for $500 to 600, though be careful when buying, take someone with you that understands what's going on, if no guarantee is given. I wouldn't spend more than that on one to be honest, if you are not a fanatic like myself.

People easy get tired of working out, unless they have mind over matter, only dedicated people will understand what i mean. I'm actually looking for one myself just now, but i want a proper industrial one from the gyms, not those they retail to consumers, there is a big quality difference and price is roughly the same in the secondhand market

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 7:10 am

Be careful with older Aibi's though, check on the bearing under the footboards as they are known/prone to break and crumble after they reach a certain age. Will cost an extra $70 to replace the two bearings. I know. I have an AIBI Gym model that is several years old but works fine.

Additionally, should you decide to opt for the cross/elliptical-trainer instead of a treadmill, you also need to ensure you also do a reasonable amount of brisk walking as well as using only an elliptical trainer will screw up your normal walking gait if used too much without enough regular walking to compensate for the different gait.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DANN

Post by DANN » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 12:15 am

I need to get a good treadmill for my new home. Any suggestions. I do not want crappy China made ones. :???:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 9:11 pm

DANN wrote:I need to get a good treadmill for my new home. Any suggestions. I do not want crappy China made ones. :???:
I bought the OTO brand.. it's OK, but probably also china-made, for all I know.

DANN

Post by DANN » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:00 pm

I have seen the OTO model at IMM, not impressed.

I just went to view Sole treadmill. Very Impresive, got good reviews on International sites too.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:12 pm

Where would I buy one of those, Dann?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:22 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Where would I buy one of those, Dann?
USA/Canada. Official website says they don't have retailers in other countries. Maybe Dann saw fakes?

EDIT: Scrub that.. they do operate in sg

Conflicting info on their website

DANN

Post by DANN » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 1:04 am

Well thats right alittle confusing in the US/Canada site but www.soletreadmill.com clearly say they have a dealer here in Singapore.
I went to the showroom opposite harbourfront.
Plan on bringing my boys over the weekend before I decide.

DANN

Re: Suggestions for a good treadmill

Post by DANN » Sun, 07 Jun 2015 11:43 pm

I bought one from Sole fitness and no regrets. They are located opposite Vivo City. You should be able to Google for them.Cheers !!!