Singapore Expats Forum

REP for PR Renewal.. Somethings to clarify..Very confusing

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
chonglichun

REP for PR Renewal.. Somethings to clarify..Very confusing

Postby chonglichun » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:55 am

Hi, what if for the past 3 yrs working in the same company, but due to lower income, say, income less than 22k, not required to report tax, only 3rd yr income reached 24k, reported.. and pr is to be expired nov this yr.. if that's the case, what else need to be done? need advice.. thanks...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:41 am

As long as you file in your tax return yearly you should be fine even though your income is below the taxable bracket . IRAS has all the infos, either you collect the last three years return for ICA if necessary or let IRAS comms to ICA
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:09 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:As long as you file in your tax return yearly you should be fine even though your income is below the taxable bracket . IRAS has all the infos, either you collect the last three years return for ICA if necessary or let IRAS comms to ICA

MS, I believe the issue the OP is hightlighting is beacuse annual income was below 22k the OP in theory didn't have to make a tax return if not requested to by IRAS. My opinion this is a big mistake as you should still make a tax return even if salary is less than 22k. Mrs S still did her tax returns every year while living overseas even though her income generated from Singapore was zero.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 4:43 am

REad this if OP is under NFS then it is not required

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04_ektid1448.aspx

If you have received a letter from IRAS informing you that you are selected to benefit from the No-Filing Service, you do NOT need to submit an Income Tax Return.

We will issue you a tax bill (Notice of Assessment) based on your relief claims for last year, and the income details sent to us by your employer who participates in the Auto-Inclusion Scheme (AIS) for Employment Income. However, reliefs may be adjusted if you have been informed that you do not meet the eligibility criteria.

You need to submit an Income Tax Return only if you:

have additional income to declare. For e.g. you changed employer in year 2010 and your new employer is not in the AIS and/or received rental or other taxable income in year 2010; or
have additional reliefs to claim. For e.g. you have a new child born in the year 2010; or
need to remove pre-filled reliefs for which you are no longer eligible. For e.g. your child started working and had income
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

chonglichun

Postby chonglichun » Sun, 12 Jun 2011 9:50 pm

Saint wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:As long as you file in your tax return yearly you should be fine even though your income is below the taxable bracket . IRAS has all the infos, either you collect the last three years return for ICA if necessary or let IRAS comms to ICA

MS, I believe the issue the OP is hightlighting is beacuse annual income was below 22k the OP in theory didn't have to make a tax return if not requested to by IRAS. My opinion this is a big mistake as you should still make a tax return even if salary is less than 22k. Mrs S still did her tax returns every year while living overseas even though her income generated from Singapore was zero.

So how should I do if I'm falling in this case?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 13 Jun 2011 4:49 am

chonglichun wrote:So how should I do if I'm falling in this case?

Contact IRAS is the first port of call to ensure that you are not required to pay any taxes