Singapore Expats Forum

Penalty for smoking a joint

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shin!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby Shin! » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 9:00 pm

ukdesigner wrote:just out of sheer curiosity, what would happen if they wanted to test you (and you're positive for weed) but you'd just got off a plane from Amsterdam? It's not like you did the smoking in Singapore but did them where they're legally and freely available.

I understand their penalties are serious here but surely they can't do you for smoking it abroad where it's legalised. Here yes. There no!

x9200 wrote:Just read my message above - you will be convicted if you are a SC or PR. If on any other visa/permit, you'll be fine.

I guess SC means Singapore citizen. And doesn't PR mean that you have the Singaporean citizenship as well? What's the difference then? Being born somewhere else and becoming Singaporean later?

ukdesigner's question is interesting indeed. But I'm wondering if there is any difference at all between smoking weed in the Netherlands where it is legal or any other country where it is not legal. Following the explanation of x9200, either way it should not be an issue of Singaporean law if you are not SC/PR, right?


By the way: Worthless postings like these should be deleted without comment:
dazzlebabe wrote:This poster is trying to find a dealer the stupid way and telling the CNB who to nail during the next raid.
On a side note, (sorry to hijack your post) how come no one knows where to get ginger beer in Singapore??

blogtowkay wrote:hey dude, drugs r not cool. :mad:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 9:27 pm

JR8 wrote:Interesting question. So the SG gubment claim jurisdiction over their citizen's behaviour abroad?

Technically not abroad but over what you brought back with/in you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 10:21 pm

Shin! wrote:

By the way: Worthless postings like these should be deleted without comment:
dazzlebabe wrote:This poster is trying to find a dealer the stupid way and telling the CNB who to nail during the next raid.
On a side note, (sorry to hijack your post) how come no one knows where to get ginger beer in Singapore??

blogtowkay wrote:hey dude, drugs r not cool. :mad:


Why? :???:

If you want to get all technical about it, all posts since I made the first reply are worthless as I quoted the law to your question already. The second reply didn't even bother to read the first reply and just repeated my post. You questions were answered from the 1st reply. Everybody has a right to their opinion and unless this thread was started in the Strictly Speaking forum, then it's not a moderated forum. Them's the breaks.

moderator

Shin!
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby Shin! » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:17 pm

@sundaymorningstaple

Sorry I didn't wanna criticize your work with this. It just makes me mad to read this useless stuff that comes around in every forum every now and then...
Anyway I don't think the other posts that followed after your's were worthless because they discuss the topic in detail.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 11:38 pm

Shin! wrote:@sundaymorningstaple

Sorry I didn't wanna criticize your work with this. It just makes me mad to read this useless stuff that comes around in every forum every now and then...
Anyway I don't think the other posts that followed after your's were worthless because they discuss the topic in detail.


Them's the breaks. It comes around in this forum all the time. That's why we have a Strickly Speaking forum.

However, I'd have to agree with "hey dude, drugs r not cool." ;-)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 7:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you want to get all technical about it, all posts since I made the first reply are worthless as I quoted the law to your question already. The second reply didn't even bother to read the first reply and just repeated my post.

Your post did not even exist when I opened the post editor so I did not have a chance to be bothered or not. Besides, you did not quote the law, I did (gave a direct reference tbp) :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 8:07 am

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you want to get all technical about it, all posts since I made the first reply are worthless as I quoted the law to your question already. The second reply didn't even bother to read the first reply and just repeated my post.

Your post did not even exist when I opened the post editor so I did not have a chance to be bothered or not. Besides, you did not quote the law, I did (gave a direct reference tbp) :P


You are right. I didn't quote the statutes. :oops:

I just used what I figured would be the most current interpretation, or at least, coming from the CNB (Central Narcotics Bureau) I would have assumed it was pretty accurate. Figured, it was better in laymen's terms rather than trying to decipher the legalese normally found in the statutes. Win some, lose some. :wink:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:49 am

Shin! wrote:I guess SC means Singapore citizen. And doesn't PR mean that you have the Singaporean citizenship as well?


Sorry to question your statement .. but, how and what makes you say the hilarious statement of the year ?? :D :D

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 10:54 am

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Interesting question. So the SG gubment claim jurisdiction over their citizen's behaviour abroad?

Technically not abroad but over what you brought back with/in you.


My former Volunteer, from CNB said, if foreigners / tourists are found positive for any form of banned substance, the CNB has the power to recommend deportation of the said individual ..

And, ICA has the power to deport or place a remark as undesirable individual ..

If you ever plan to say here .. or work here, avoid drugs..

As for Coke, I was told that traces of coke can be detected upto 3 months from the date of consumption

For those who think Singapore is a horror story, look up the stories of how some have been framed in UAE - a Tiny speck of coke detected in the jacket has led to enough and more spending time in the sequestered high security residences courtesy of His Royal Highness Sheik ..

And it is amazing that as per the ME law, even a tiny speck stuck on your shirt can be your grave .. and never mind how the Customs officer knows how and where to look for that speck .. No Kidding ..

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:56 am

THC (tetrahydrocanabinol) can be detected in the organism up to 4 months after smoking a joint so it is extremely stupid just to go abroad, do it and come back if somebody is serious about living in Singapore. Nobody forces anyone to live here and there are some rules not to be bent.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:04 pm

ukdesigner wrote:just out of sheer curiosity, what would happen if they wanted to test you (and you're positive for weed) but you'd just got off a plane from Amsterdam? It's not like you did the smoking in Singapore but did them where they're legally and freely available.

I understand their penalties are serious here but surely they can't do you for smoking it abroad where it's legalised. Here yes. There no!

Just wondering that's all...


They can indeed test you off the plane, and have. You test positive, then put you back on a plane and send you back where you came from if you are not a citizen or PR. If citizen/PR fine and/or jail time.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 2:06 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:They can indeed test you off the plane, and have. You test positive, then put you back on a plane and send you back where you came from if you are not a citizen or PR. If citizen/PR fine and/or jail time.


So far, I haven't heard of such tests, but I still remember the occasional swoop of the Home team .. all included, for a comprehensive screening at the discos/bars .. and nobody was exempt ..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 2:16 pm

Unfortunately, just because you haven't heard of such tests, doesn't make them any less real. Not everything is published in the papers. :wink: :wink: :) :) :D :D :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 3:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:They can indeed test you off the plane, and have. You test positive, then put you back on a plane and send you back where you came from if you are not a citizen or PR. If citizen/PR fine and/or jail time.


So far, I haven't heard of such tests, but I still remember the occasional swoop of the Home team .. all included, for a comprehensive screening at the discos/bars .. and nobody was exempt ..


Happened to the son of a friend of mine. He and a couple of others had just flown in from Los Angeles. They were tested, detained at the airport and sent back on the next flight.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 3:23 pm

x9200 wrote:Just read my message above - you will be convicted if you are a SC or PR. If on any other visa/permit, you'll be fine.


I believe you will also be convicted if you are "high" upon entering Singapore. Being under the influence in Singapore, regardless of whether you got to that condition in Singapore of before entering, will still be treated as if you took the stuff here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests