Singapore Expats Forum

PEP question - urgent

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 3:40 pm

Saint wrote:
bunty30 wrote:Hi Saint, sms
Thanks again for your reply.
Ok the situation of bit complex at that time. I was on P1 with Startup Company and just after recession we say that layoff coming in mid of 2009. I have applied for PEP and got the same hoping that I will find new job in Singapore. I have paid my Income Tax for 2008 - 2009 using IRAS web site and finally to POST in cash. For 2009 - 2010 I was mid way and the last company who laidoff me told me that they will clear all the Tax etc once they receive the notification from MOM/IRAS. I left Singapore that time with hope that with PEP issued I will get another job soon. I have tried and tried but I did not get new job and then that 6 months period passed and I was not in Singapore. I believed that I have lost my PEP by then. The employer has canceled my P1 that time but I did not cancel my PEP because I was trying for getting new job in Singapore.

Are you certain your old Company actually setted your Tax bill for 2009 or even made a Tax Return?? You might find you have an outstanding Tax Bill and this could be the reason your PEP hasn't been cancelled?

Just a thought and I could be barking up the wrong tree!

Hi Saint,
Thanks for your reply. Just I have been checking this since yesterday if they have cleared my 2009 Tax. It turned out to be they have not. IRAS has written letters to my old company at Singapore two times sending the tax deatils and payment amount details. I just got that information today. Ihave written email to IRAS telling them them that I have left Singapore in Nov. 2009 and the Tax letter got generated by them in July 2010 which they have sent it to my last employer. My last employer never informed me and same time they have also not paid the amont. I am now trying to clear the amount asap. I was totally in dark till now. I am hoping to fix everything in week time so that i can travel to Singapore in first week of july. But now I have to be clear now if my PEP get cancled once I pay the amount I need to check this. Its getting complicated.
Thanks again.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 5:50 pm

Good call Saint! :cool:

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Sat, 11 Jun 2011 3:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good call Saint! :cool:

Hi Saint, sms
Yesterday my Singapore friend went to MOM and checked my FIN based PEP. MOM told him that my PEP is valid and its valid as per date of validity mentioned on the card that is till 2014. My firend did mention to them my IRAS Tax pending , MOM said they have nothing to do with IRAS for PEP validity as they go by date of validity mentioed on PEP. They have suggested to take up anything pending on IRAS with IRAS. Anyways I am going to close my 2009 Tax with IRAS next week. I believe that IRAS will understand that I have left Singapore in Nov 2009 and they have generated my Tax notice in July 2010 and sent to my old employer and my old employer never informed me that they have not paid the tax and that I have tax liability.
Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Sat, 11 Jun 2011 3:54 pm

if you had a singpass you can login into IRAS Website and see your past years Tax Slip. and also see if there is something pending.

Good Luck !

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 11 Jun 2011 5:17 pm

Bunty, keep us informed as to what happens once you return to Singers. If what you say is true, then it really takes the mickey out of what they tell you on the website regarding the reporting and requirement to keep the PEP. This is an entirely new bent so I'm really interested on how this will actually play out.

But, in the short term, congrats and it looks like you are cleared to fly now....

sms

bunty30

PEP question - urgent

Postby bunty30 » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 1:09 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Bunty, keep us informed as to what happens once you return to Singers. If what you say is true, then it really takes the mickey out of what they tell you on the website regarding the reporting and requirement to keep the PEP. This is an entirely new bent so I'm really interested on how this will actually play out.

But, in the short term, congrats and it looks like you are cleared to fly now....

sms

Dear SMS,
This is in relation to my PEP and my travel to SG about month and half back.
I did travel to Singapore in the moth of July end using my PEP. It was perfectly ok, I did not faced any problems at Immigration. So what MOM told some time back that PEP is valid for the period what they have mentioned on PEP card at the time of issue holds valid.
Best Regards,
Bunty

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 30 Aug 2011 1:35 am

Congrats mate! Until now I wasn't taking the PEP very seriously primarily because of the 6 months of max period of unemployment. You have now given me some food for thought, and I guess a lot of people :wink:

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:59 pm

A loophole soon to be closed no doubt if the MOM reads this thread!!

It's gonna have some sort of repercussion as they wouldn't specify it in the criteria if they were happy for you to use the PEP as an open ended Visa with no employment in SG

Sorry to sound cynical but I think it will come back to bite you on the arse in due course.

chandra19998

Postby chandra19998 » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 1:27 pm

They use the work MAY and not WILL all the time, it is on a case by case basis, not all PEP will be cancelled after 6 months of unemployment, if they found that you are of good quality and want to retain you then they will not cancel your pass. After all PEP is for the government of Singapore to retain highly qualified talents in Singapore, if not they would not be bother to even open this category of freedom to foreigners. If you are on a P1, Singapore wants you, if you are a world renowned professor or people of high calibre like Jet Li, Gong Li, they will roll the red carpet for you. Ever wonder why Jet Li could become Singapore citizen despite that he is rarely in Singapore while it is clearly stated that you MAY need to meet residency requirements before apply for citizenship? Singapore is a highly efficient society, if you are of benefit to it, they will try to retain you!

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 31 Aug 2011 1:32 pm

chandra19998 wrote:They use the work MAY and not WILL all the time, it is on a case by case basis, not all PEP will be cancelled after 6 months of unemployment, if they found that you are of good quality and want to retain you then they will not cancel your pass. After all PEP is for the government of Singapore to retain highly qualified talents in Singapore, if not they would not be bother to even open this category of freedom to foreigners. If you are on a P1, Singapore wants you, if you are a world renowned professor or people of high calibre like Jet Li, Gong Li, they will roll the red carpet for you. Ever wonder why Jet Li could become Singapore citizen despite that he is rarely in Singapore while it is clearly stated that you MAY need to meet residency requirements before apply for citizenship? Singapore is a highly efficient society, if you are of benefit to it, they will try to retain you!

What a pile of subjective bullsh*t.......

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 4:06 pm

BillyB wrote:A loophole soon to be closed no doubt if the MOM reads this thread!!

It's gonna have some sort of repercussion as they wouldn't specify it in the criteria if they were happy for you to use the PEP as an open ended Visa with no employment in SG

Sorry to sound cynical but I think it will come back to bite you on the arse in due course.

I was thinking along these lines:
"You are fed up of Singapore, you have decided to quit for good. Instead of cancelling your EP, apply for the PEP, take it and leave and then you never know, if in future you would want to come back to Singapore and god knows what the new rules would be then to get an EP, but if your PEP is still valid then its gr8, if not you anyway have nothing to lose. And I hope the long timers here wouldn't call this as an abuse of PEP. :roll:"

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 4:40 pm

revhappy wrote:
BillyB wrote:A loophole soon to be closed no doubt if the MOM reads this thread!!

I was thinking along these lines:
"You are fed up of Singapore, you have decided to quit for good. Instead of cancelling your EP, apply for the PEP, take it and leave and then you never know, if in future you would want to come back to Singapore and god knows what the new rules would be then to get an EP, but if your PEP is still valid then its gr8, if not you anyway have nothing to lose. And I hope the long timers here wouldn't call this as an abuse of PEP. :roll:"

Completely agree.

Cue the toys out of the pram when the shit hits the fan.

Once the tax issue is sorted out - then it will cause problems. Because in effect, the only way the MOM know that you aren't working here when on a PEP is if you cancel it personally. If you don't cancel, you can probably get away with leaving SG and not returning for up to 18 months if you pay your first tax early and the following year late or close to the deadline.

Clever stuff - but rules are rules and this is Singapore remember.....