Singapore Expats Forum

PEP question - urgent

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bunty30

PEP question - urgent

Postby bunty30 » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 6:40 am

Dear friends,
I have typical situation about my PEP.
I was in Singapore 2008-2009 on P1. Then in Nov. 2009 I have got my PEP issued and also the PEP passes collected. I went out of Singapore by end of Nov 2009 because of job situation (I was in a start up company telecom software).
Now almost after one and half year another US/Singapore based company want to hire me and they tried to apply EP for me in this month.
They got reply back from MOM that my PEP is still active. The employer who want to hire me now even asked (over phone) MOM case officer that PEP holder (me) was not in Singapore for last one and half years. MOM officer conveyed to my employer that its not in every case PEP get canceled, he can confirm that my pass is still valid.

Now should I go ahead and make my travel plans ?
Thanks for help in advance.
Regards,
Bunty

Leskaret

Postby Leskaret » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 4:41 pm

mu husband is also a PEP holder, and yes it's true that PEP is not always been cancelled if unemployed more than 6 months or more.
=)

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 6:50 pm

Leskaret wrote:mu husband is also a PEP holder, and yes it's true that PEP is not always been cancelled if unemployed more than 6 months or more.

Thanks Leskaret for your reply, Today my SG friend suggested me to check my PEP status at web site https://eponline.mom.gov.sg/epol
The web site suggest that my PEP is valid. Now I am more comfortable to make my travel plans for Singapore.
Thanks.
Bunty

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 8:37 pm

Good Luck. We've found that there is some problems since Friday with MOM's systems. In fact I spent the morning at MOM because of this. We were trying to withdraw an appeal that MOM claims is still valid, but on our computers online it doesn't even show the appeal OR the withdrawal. So, there is some glitch somewhere in the system that even the manpower at MOM are/weren't aware of until this morning.

Be sure you have everything in writing and the officer's name who answered your questions. Otherwise, you have nothing if it's verbal only.

It would be interesting to know how it turns out, so it would be nice if you could update us once you're back in place here.

sms

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 1:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good Luck. We've found that there is some problems since Friday with MOM's systems. In fact I spent the morning at MOM because of this. We were trying to withdraw an appeal that MOM claims is still valid, but on our computers online it doesn't even show the appeal OR the withdrawal. So, there is some glitch somewhere in the system that even the manpower at MOM are/weren't aware of until this morning.

Be sure you have everything in writing and the officer's name who answered your questions. Otherwise, you have nothing if it's verbal only.

It would be interesting to know how it turns out, so it would be nice if you could update us once you're back in place here.

sms

Hi sms,
Thanks for your reply. Ok , Now I must say that after reading your reply I am more worried. As of now I only got confirmation from MOM through my Singapore employer where office staff has spoken to MOM officer over the phone and got confirmation that my PEP is still valid, I have also checked on MOM ep.online web site which also also states that my PEP is valid and gives printing options to take acknowledgment page print with time and date of request made and that is today(I am treating this as document proof).
I can visualize that if something really has to go wrong here with my PEP then I will surely get blocked at immigration check point at the day of my arrival in Singapore which is very disturbing. The only options looks like at the moment is that I should believe MOM ep.online web site and their back-end data base synced with immigration data base. Uhh!!
Regards,
Bunty

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 6:51 am

If you employer has the ability to see it online and they contacted MOM and you/they are able to print out the AIP then you don't have to worry. Relax. You'll be okay.

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 4:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you employer has the ability to see it online and they contacted MOM and you/they are able to print out the AIP then you don't have to worry. Relax. You'll be okay.

Hi sms,
Thanks for your reply. Yes employer got the info online when they tried to apply EP for me that I already have valid PEP. I do not have AIP because what I understand that AIP was give to me before I collected the PEP plastic passes.
Now I have those PEP passes and ep.online Acknowledgement Page print out dated 6-6-2011 3:20 PM stating that my PEP is valid in the following format. I am hoping these two documents should be good enough.

NRIC No / FIN / Malaysian New IC No : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Name : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Foreigner's Particulars
Request made on 07/06/2011 04:38 PM
FIN : xxxxxxxxxx
Travel Document No. : xxxxxxxxxx
Pass Type : PERSONALISED EMPLOYMENT PASS
Pass Validity : VALID

You are advised to perform the following checks personally:
(1) Inspect the original Employment Pass/Dependant's Pass/Long Term Visit Pass, original travel and identification documents of the prospective foreign tenants;

(2) Check the passport to ensure the particulars in the passport and the Employment Pass/Dependant's Pass/Long Term Visit Pass correspond materially; and,

(3) Check the validity of the Employment Pass/Dependant's Pass/Long Term Visit Pass, or check with the employer to ensure the foreigner is legally employed.
To print this result page for your reference, please click

Regards,
Manish

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PEP question - urgent

Postby Saint » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 5:24 pm

bunty30 wrote:Dear friends,
I was in Singapore 2008-2009 on P1. Then in Nov. 2009 I have got my PEP issued and also the PEP passes collected. I went out of Singapore by end of Nov 2009 because of job situation (I was in a start up company telecom software).Now almost after one and half year another US/Singapore based company want to hire me and they tried to apply EP for me in this month.
They got reply back from MOM that my PEP is still active. The employer who want to hire me now even asked (over phone) MOM case officer that PEP holder (me) was not in Singapore for last one and half years. MOM officer conveyed to my employer that its not in every case PEP get canceled, he can confirm that my pass is still valid.

Regards,
Bunty

Can you explain further what you exactly mean by this? Were you just posted oversea by your company so still employed by them? Or did you leave company and began working for a completely different company overseas?

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Tue, 07 Jun 2011 6:43 pm

Saint wrote:
I was in Singapore 2008-2009 on P1. Then in Nov. 2009 I have got my PEP issued and also the PEP passes collected. I went out of Singapore by end of Nov 2009 because of job situation (I was in a start up company telecom software).Now almost after one and half year another US/Singapore based company want to hire me and they tried to apply EP for me in this month.

Regards,
Bunty

Can you explain further what you exactly mean by this? Were you just posted oversea by your company so still employed by them? Or did you leave company and began working for a completely different company overseas?

Hi Saint,
In Nov 2009 I was laidoff by Singapore startup company. I have tried for Singapore job in Nov and December 2009 but did not get any. I came back to my native country and got job in MNC. Now again in 2011 May I have got job offer from US/Singapore based company.
Thanks.
Bunty

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:24 pm

bunty30 wrote:
Saint wrote:

Regards,
Bunty

Hi Saint,
In Nov 2009 I was laidoff by Singapore startup company. I have tried for Singapore job in Nov and December 2009 but did not get any. I came back to my native country and got job in MNC. Now again in 2011 May I have got job offer from US/Singapore based company.
Thanks.
Bunty

Hi Saint, sms
Any further inputs ??

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 9:21 am

Highlighted below are a few points that both you and your previous employer failed to do which are clearly defined on the MOM's website. When you left the Company in November 2009 did you get tax clearance from IRAS?

"Maximum Unemployment Period: This cannot exceed six continuous months at any point. This applies to PEP holders working in Singapore as well as PEP holders working on overseas stints assigned by their employers in Singapore. PEP holders who intend to leave Singapore and work for employers overseas should cancel their PEPs.
Minimum Annual Salary: PEP holders must earn an annual fixed salary of at least $30,000 for each calendar year of the PEP.

Requisite Notifications to MOM: PEP holders and their employers will need to keep MOM informed of each change in the PEP holders' employment status (e.g. commencement or cessation of employment) and agree to make available to MOM information on their annual fixed salary. PEP holders will also need to notify MOM of any changes in their contact details viz. local contact person and address"

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 9:59 am

'nuff said by Saint already. :cool:

bunty30

Postby bunty30 » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 5:26 pm

Saint wrote:Highlighted below are a few points that both you and your previous employer failed to do which are clearly defined on the MOM's website. When you left the Company in November 2009 did you get tax clearance from IRAS?

"Maximum Unemployment Period: This cannot exceed six continuous months at any point. This applies to PEP holders working in Singapore as well as PEP holders working on overseas stints assigned by their employers in Singapore. PEP holders who intend to leave Singapore and work for employers overseas should cancel their PEPs.
Minimum Annual Salary: PEP holders must earn an annual fixed salary of at least $30,000 for each calendar year of the PEP.

Requisite Notifications to MOM: PEP holders and their employers will need to keep MOM informed of each change in the PEP holders' employment status (e.g. commencement or cessation of employment) and agree to make available to MOM information on their annual fixed salary. PEP holders will also need to notify MOM of any changes in their contact details viz. local contact person and address"

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Hi Saint, sms
Thanks again for your reply.
Ok the situation of bit complex at that time. I was on P1 with Startup Company and just after recession we say that layoff coming in mid of 2009. I have applied for PEP and got the same hoping that I will find new job in Singapore. I have paid my Income Tax for 2008 - 2009 using IRAS web site and finally to POST in cash. For 2009 - 2010 I was mid way and the last company who laidoff me told me that they will clear all the Tax etc once they receive the notification from MOM/IRAS. I left Singapore that time with hope that with PEP issued I will get another job soon. I have tried and tried but I did not get new job and then that 6 months period passed and I was not in Singapore. I believed that I have lost my PEP by then. The employer has canceled my P1 that time but I did not cancel my PEP because I was trying for getting new job in Singapore.

Now in 2011 another US/Singapore based company offered me job and they have tried applying EP for me online and then they were told by MOM that my PEP is still valid. They have explained to MOM officer over phone that I am not in Singapore for last one and half year. Still they said my PEP is valid.
I am believing that my PEP is valid and making my travel plans and I will entre Singapore in first week of July using my PEP. I am hoping that I will not get into trouble :???:
I am ready to cancel my PEP and get new EP from my new employer but MOM is saying that my PEP is still valid and I can take online print of my PEP , I am believing the online letter and MOM officer conversation with my current employer and taking decision to use PEP.
Thanks,
Bunty

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Jun 2011 6:03 pm

I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it turns out, as we love collecting little bits of information to try to figure out how the gahmen thinks (or don't) as the case may be.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 10 Jun 2011 8:45 am

bunty30 wrote:Hi Saint, sms
Thanks again for your reply.
Ok the situation of bit complex at that time. I was on P1 with Startup Company and just after recession we say that layoff coming in mid of 2009. I have applied for PEP and got the same hoping that I will find new job in Singapore. I have paid my Income Tax for 2008 - 2009 using IRAS web site and finally to POST in cash. For 2009 - 2010 I was mid way and the last company who laidoff me told me that they will clear all the Tax etc once they receive the notification from MOM/IRAS. I left Singapore that time with hope that with PEP issued I will get another job soon. I have tried and tried but I did not get new job and then that 6 months period passed and I was not in Singapore. I believed that I have lost my PEP by then. The employer has canceled my P1 that time but I did not cancel my PEP because I was trying for getting new job in Singapore.

Are you certain your old Company actually setted your Tax bill for 2009 or even made a Tax Return?? You might find you have an outstanding Tax Bill and this could be the reason your PEP hasn't been cancelled?

Just a thought and I could be barking up the wrong tree!