Singapore Expats

should i take this offer?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
hukanghy

should i take this offer?

Post by hukanghy » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 9:42 am

Information missing...
Last edited by hukanghy on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 5:23 pm

I wouldn't bank on being able to send your kids to the public schools, spaces are very competitive for the good ones and preference will go to citizens and then PRs, you will probably be able to find your kids a place but not in one of the better schools.

I would try and negotiate school fees for International School for your kids before you negotiate the housing, you'll easily be able to find something for 4-5K for a family of 4 as long as you don't expect to live right next to Orchard road or CBD

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 5:53 pm

Also check how much annual leave you will be entitled to. Typical local contract = 14 days only.

hukanghy

school

Post by hukanghy » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 11:52 pm

Thank you Jay and 9200
Jay, I heard that in Singapore if you were live in a good school district, you will be able to get in the school, no? at public school, they teach in English, right?
9200, leave day is fine, they give 15 days/y.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: school

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 11:19 am

hukanghy wrote:Thank you Jay and 9200
Jay, I heard that in Singapore if you were live in a good school district, you will be able to get in the school, no? If you are a Citizen or a Permanent Resident only. at public school, they teach in English, right? Yes (theoretically).
9200, leave day is fine, they give 15 days/y.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Post by IronMac » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 3:07 pm

Can your wife work in SG? Wouldn't she be on a dependent's pass?

hukanghy

Post by hukanghy » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 10:30 pm

IronMac wrote:Can your wife work in SG? Wouldn't she be on a dependent's pass?

yes I believe she can but may be one year later. what we can gifure out now is that she stays in states for the first half year to sell the house (you might have not idea how hard it is now) and then move to Singapore, taking another half year to find a job. Thus, to us the first year we definetely need a rent assistance.

does this make sense to the company?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:29 am

hukanghy wrote:
IronMac wrote:Can your wife work in SG? Wouldn't she be on a dependent's pass?

yes I believe she can but may be one year later. what we can gifure out now is that she stays in states for the first half year to sell the house (you might have not idea how hard it is now) and then move to Singapore, taking another half year to find a job. Thus, to us the first year we definetely need a rent assistance.

does this make sense to the company?
The company won't care, you selling your house in a bad market is not their concern. They'll make you their offer, you negotiate as much as you can but I doubt saying that your wife won't be able to work for a year so you need more money will cut it, this is a local contract you're talking about. Why not rent your house out so it's there is you want to go back in a year or two?

For the schools - what SMS said.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 1:06 pm

They are already offering you double the average Singapore household income - so pleading special hardship (on a local contract) will probably not work!

But living on that income isn't a problem for most. If it is for you, there's something wrong with your expectations or lifestyle!