Singapore Expats

Is it legal to live in a boat?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
speeder

Is it legal to live in a boat?

Post by speeder » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:25 am

Hello! I want to move from my country... Singapore is seemly a possible one to go.

But so far, I've been looking for countries with lots of space, so I could buy some farm... Singapore certainly does not fit that, but Singapore seemly opens the possibility suggested by my girlfriend of living in a boat. (she is a sailor, it is kinda obvious she would suggest that).

But I heard conflicting info about it... Thus, it is legal, or illegal, for a immigrant to live in a boat in Singapore? (instead of having a land address)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:36 am

According to somebody on this thread, it's illegal but I don't have the reference: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic61724.html

Perhaps you could research it and share the results here.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

speeder

Post by speeder » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 12:46 am

The only info I found so far is this: http://oiaboat.wordpress.com/2010/05/27 ... -analysis/

But seemly it is not sufficient info either.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 1:44 am

It is illegal as you need a "PERMANENT HOME" address. One that does not float nor move about . If cruise ship staffs permanent address is their office on the mainland
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

speeder

Post by speeder » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 1:46 am

I wonder then if virtual offices are valid as permanent address...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 1:55 am

If you are local you will have your PINK IC, If you are FT you have your FIN Card which state your address, If you are tourist , the D/E card reflects your address. It has nothing to do with virtual address, it is the place of abode for a human.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

speeder

Post by speeder » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 2:09 am

I see, that is sad then. With the amount of islands around, it would be very nice to live sailing around and use Singapore as base, the mentioned girlfriend lives currently in a farm in the US, but when she can she sails around the caribbean archipelago, going randomly between them or visiting diving spots.

It would be nice to do the same in Singapore, and even nicer if a expensive rent was not needed, but seemly that cannot be avoided then.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 3:45 am

Down here everything is based on guidelines and the gahmen public servants stick with them like glue. It is said they have a 10 years series guidelines that of what you need to know and do. For your case, even owning a boat does not allow you to drive in the water. You have to attain a license and your boat has to be registered with a boat plate on it.
I put this to "whatever that can add to the gahmen coffers it will be guideline. Even if you fail to inform your new place of abode within 5 days, you are committing an offence and a fine is warranted although I did report mine 5 years later but the guideline is there. Whether it is be exercised or not that is not your call.

Welcome to Singapore, IT IS A FINE CITY !!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 1:04 pm

http://oiaboat.wordpress.com/2010/11/09 ... omparison/

Interesting MS, does that mean that people living on the water off Singapore fishing or on all the ships are excluded? Just curious as many other countries allow living on boats, using a post box address. Also the homeless people too that wander from City to City use post box address to pick up their welfare benefits.

There must be legislation for the maritime sector ships parked up, as tourists who sail into Singapore and stay 3 to 6 months would have to abide by the laws too, so it is relevant to find a link. Maybe it applies just to local Singaporeans!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 2:35 pm

Actually, there are a considerable number of persons living on their boats here in the various marinas. As far as an address is concerned, the marina would be your address and your unit number would be your berth number. But, as ksl noted, the costs of doing so virtually mirror living on land, but the initial outlay cannot be figured into the equation because you can move your boat while it would be difficult to move your apartment!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Fri, 03 Jun 2011 3:56 pm

Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get outside of Singaporean waters it becomes a very different world than the Caribbean. The Caribbean is well patrolled and relatively safe. You can move from island to island without losing everything that you have and being killed. If you travel around this part of the world in a blow boat you better be packing some serious heat and not be afraid to use it. The catch 22 is, if you get caught in Singapore with so much as a bb gun you are going to prison. Unlike most countries in the Caribbean, Singapore Customs will not check your weapons for you either.

speeder

Post by speeder » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 8:36 pm

Calmday wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get outside of Singaporean waters it becomes a very different world than the Caribbean. The Caribbean is well patrolled and relatively safe. You can move from island to island without losing everything that you have and being killed. If you travel around this part of the world in a blow boat you better be packing some serious heat and not be afraid to use it. The catch 22 is, if you get caught in Singapore with so much as a bb gun you are going to prison. Unlike most countries in the Caribbean, Singapore Customs will not check your weapons for you either.
I wandered this weekend on some cruising forums, and indeed, the second place in world piracy is around Singapore (the first is near Somalia)... But if you cannot enter Singapore with weapons, I wonder what people do... (maybe this is why there are so much piracy near Singapore?)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:03 pm

speeder wrote: I wandered this weekend on some cruising forums, and indeed, the second place in world piracy is around Singapore (the first is near Somalia)... But if you cannot enter Singapore with weapons, I wonder what people do... (maybe this is why there are so much piracy near Singapore?)
Sailors code says it is wrong to carry arms, or something like that

and piracy around here has nothing to with the law .. it is because the area has a lot of small islands (Indonesian archipelago .. ) and the standard of living of the neighbouring country ..

And it's not like the area is infested with pirates ...

You are not a sailor, I guess ??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:31 pm

I reckon the sailors of the 7th fleet might disagree with you..... :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 06 Jun 2011 11:49 pm

speeder wrote:
Calmday wrote:Another thing to keep in mind is that once you get outside of Singaporean waters it becomes a very different world than the Caribbean. The Caribbean is well patrolled and relatively safe. You can move from island to island without losing everything that you have and being killed. If you travel around this part of the world in a blow boat you better be packing some serious heat and not be afraid to use it. The catch 22 is, if you get caught in Singapore with so much as a bb gun you are going to prison. Unlike most countries in the Caribbean, Singapore Customs will not check your weapons for you either.
I wandered this weekend on some cruising forums, and indeed, the second place in world piracy is around Singapore (the first is near Somalia)... But if you cannot enter Singapore with weapons, I wonder what people do... (maybe this is why there are so much piracy near Singapore?)
The pirates talk their victims to death.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."