Singapore Expats Forum

When can I apply for my Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PR2Citizen

When can I apply for my Citizenship

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:09 am

Hi there!

I read a lot of immigration stuff and happy to note that all are getting some expert advice from experts, thanks guys.

My Story
I am 32/m, married and have 3 kids. 2 boys and a girl. I did my secondary and tertiary education in Singapore. I got my PR in 2000 after my graduation on my own merits - first generation PR. I did not served NS. I worked in Singapore for 3 years and my company relocated me to Dubai. I am getting my pay in Singapore. I am paying my CPF and Income tax since 2000. My family is also shifted to Dubai with me. I visit Singapore 3-4 times a year and live 3-4 months here.

Can I apply for the citizenship? When should I apply? Is my case stron or week?

Please guys show some light. Thanks in advance

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: When can I apply for my Citizenship

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 1:58 am

PR2Citizen wrote:Hi there!

I read a lot of immigration stuff and happy to note that all are getting some expert advice from experts, thanks guys.

My Story
I am 32/m, married and have 3 kids. 2 boys and a girl. I did my secondary and tertiary education in Singapore. I got my PR in 2000 after my graduation on my own merits - first generation PR. I did not served NS. I worked in Singapore for 3 years and my company relocated me to Dubai. I am getting my pay in Singapore. I am paying my CPF and Income tax since 2000. My family is also shifted to Dubai with me. I visit Singapore 3-4 times a year and live 3-4 months here.

Can I apply for the citizenship? When should I apply? Is my case stron or week?

Please guys show some light. Thanks in advance

Based on what you postered, yours should be a shoe in.

You can apply now. May I know what race are you ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:38 am

Thanks MS for the reply.

I am an Indian from New Delhi. Lived in Singapore for almost 19 years (10 years continuously + 9 years traveling) . And ya in 2005 I applied and was rejected.

regards

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:53 am

PR2Citizen wrote:Thanks MS for the reply.

I am an Indian from New Delhi. Lived in Singapore for almost 19 years (10 years continuously + 9 years traveling) . And ya in 2005 I applied and was rejected.

regards

Make sure you apply as a family NOT only Yourself Or else all bets off the table. You have sons which is good for the gahmen.
I believe the whole family has gained PRship since birth and wifey too ??
DO it quick before the guideline change again. QUICK !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks MS for the prompt reply.

After I graduated I was already married by then. So we applied as a couple and within 3 months we got our PR. My first 2 kids the elder son and the daughter are born here and are PR but my 3 child also a boy is born in Dubai and he does not have any status. I applied for his PR in January 2011, so far no news.

I also understand there is a requirement of 180 days stay in Singapore. Does this only applies to the main applicant or all? For this year so far I have lived here for 90 days. Do I finish my 180 days which will be due in September and apply or apply asap?

Regards

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 2:32 pm

Dubai will never give you PR status. You have to get Indian Citizenship then apply SG PR. You have to be here as a whole family unit for 180 days or more before applying as you need to be seen as a residence

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 2:39 pm

I meant to say that he does not have a status in Singapore. He got his Indian passport when he was born. And we all have Dubai residency but for long term it is better in Singapore.

Now I am planning to bring my family back to Singapore and put the kids in local school in January 2012. Should i apply in mid July 2012 for better chances?

Thanks mate :D

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 2:49 pm

Ok

This is what you do.

Make sure all of you REP entry is valid. Reenter before it expires. A year earlier will be best. Your youngest you can apply for LTSVP or student pass if PR fails

Stay put for a while . End of 2012 will be best.

Citizenship is always on invitation though ICA never stop you from applying.
Minimum residence stay and holding PR for 6 years apart from income tax return etc.....

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 2:54 pm

My Re-entry is valid till 2015, so should I just wait for the invitation?

What will happen if I dont get an invitation and I renew my Re-entry? How long will they give it? The first time they gave it for 5 years and the second time was for 10 years

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 3:00 pm

All REP's are for five years now. They have done away with the 10 year ones. (I'm still on a 10 year one as well).

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 3:01 pm

If you wish to apply for citizenship make plans earlier than 2015. Now, if you are the Gahmen , let's ponder for a moment... How can I as the Gahmen invites you to become my citizen if you are not here at all or half of the year is not here?? Think about it ? Does this sounds logic to you?

So.... move over then sets your roots here physically. Most countries requires you to be in that country physically prior to citizenship application. Then apply even though you did not receive any invitation. If fails reapply REP but make sure you must be physically here

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks MS & SMS

I will get my family here first. Put my kids in school and then by june or july 2012 will apply for the citizenship. No matter what the outcome is.

Thanks guys for the help. U guys are great..... wanna go for some drinks?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:34 pm

BTW before I have brain fart and forgot. if you do succeed in getting citizenship. You should consider taking Person of Indian Origin Card

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_ ... rigin_Card

PR2Citizen

Postby PR2Citizen » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 5:23 pm

^ lol u sound so optimistic ... i liked it... where are u from?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 02 Jun 2011 4:34 am

Timbuktu and my advise is this year if you can

I cannot foresee what next year will hold as there are too many changes in the pipeline