Singapore Expats Forum

Social Visa for Australians - instant 90 days?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
bailey2000

Social Visa for Australians - instant 90 days?

Postby bailey2000 » Tue, 31 May 2011 3:07 pm

Hi,

I phoned the Immigration Authorities today and they have advised me that the customs desk decides how many days they will allow visitors to stay when you go through customs. I've looked at my passport and on the five visits to Singapore since 2008, they have always granted 90 days. I am only taking notice of this now as I am separating from my husband and he may cancel the DP, which he is entitled to do. However, I would like to stay on a few more months and so I may have to leave the country and then return and I am hoping that they will grant me 90 days again. But it seems like there is no guarantee. I thought I read somewhere that Australians, amongst others, were able to get the 90 days upon request - but this does not seem like a given according to what the authorities told me today.

Anyone have any advice or experience on this. Would be appreciative of any feedback.

Cheers
A

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Social Visa for Australians - instant 90 days?

Postby FaeLLe » Tue, 31 May 2011 4:25 pm

You should ideally get the 90 day SVP on arrival at Singapore.

However, the crux of the matter is that it is always upto the ICA officer who can decide the duration to grant / stamp on your passport to determine entry restrictions.

You can always request the officer for a 90 day SVP though I am not sure if you should request for it before / after they stamp something on your passport.

Some of the others SMS, MS, KSL etc. should be able to better guide you on this.

bailey2000 wrote:Hi,

I phoned the Immigration Authorities today and they have advised me that the customs desk decides how many days they will allow visitors to stay when you go through customs. I've looked at my passport and on the five visits to Singapore since 2008, they have always granted 90 days. I am only taking notice of this now as I am separating from my husband and he may cancel the DP, which he is entitled to do. However, I would like to stay on a few more months and so I may have to leave the country and then return and I am hoping that they will grant me 90 days again. But it seems like there is no guarantee. I thought I read somewhere that Australians, amongst others, were able to get the 90 days upon request - but this does not seem like a given according to what the authorities told me today.

Anyone have any advice or experience on this. Would be appreciative of any feedback.

Cheers
A

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 31 May 2011 4:48 pm

FaeLLe wrote:You can always request the officer for a 90 day SVP though I am not sure if you should request for it before / after they stamp something on your passport.

You have to indicate 'Length of stay' on your D/E (arrivals) card, I don't see the problem with writing 90.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 31 May 2011 5:28 pm

JR8 wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:You can always request the officer for a 90 day SVP though I am not sure if you should request for it before / after they stamp something on your passport.

You have to indicate 'Length of stay' on your D/E (arrivals) card, I don't see the problem with writing 90.

Yup, you should state that . Oz and some European countries are not under category 1 countries that are eligible for 90 days. If for some reason ICA border control only allows you 30 days, you can do it E-xtend Online after you enter SG.
Read below

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=168&secid=166

http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... _Notes.pdf
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

bailey2000

thanks for info

Postby bailey2000 » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks guys for those responses.

Now another one, given I am only doing this in case my husband decides to cancel the DP straight away, the question is, can he do this? I've had two conflicting answers: 1. Yes from the Immigration Checkpoint authorities and 2. No from a lawyer that said that we have to have the divorced finalised (in our country of origin as we have been here under three years).

Now it would seem obvious to take the lawyers advice but they too get it wrong and it was a very quick conversation so I'm not entirely sure I heard her correctly (the stress factor doesn't give me much clarity either...)!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: thanks for info

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 4:51 pm

bailey2000 wrote:Thanks guys for those responses.

Now another one, given I am only doing this in case my husband decides to cancel the DP straight away, the question is, can he do this? I've had two conflicting answers: 1. Yes from the Immigration Checkpoint authorities and 2. No from a lawyer that said that we have to have the divorced finalised (in our country of origin as we have been here under three years).

Now it would seem obvious to take the lawyers advice but they too get it wrong and it was a very quick conversation so I'm not entirely sure I heard her correctly (the stress factor doesn't give me much clarity either...)!

You got it wrong. Cancellation is done by EP holder at MOM SG not ICA and yes once the EP Holder is no longer valid, DP will be cancelled at it is link to the EP holder as the main applicant

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... ation.aspx

Where did you get this lawyer ? SG or OZ

IMHO stick to the guideline. The lawyers here is usually at losing end when dealing with the Gahmen Agencies
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

bailey2000

Postby bailey2000 » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 5:54 pm

Hi MS,

His EP is all good, I just thought that given we are separating he might be able to instantly cancel my DP. Do you know? I'll check with MOM too but it's a bit hit and miss as to the advice you get - depends on how experienced the workers are, as with any job (including the lawyers).

cheers
a

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 02 Jun 2011 4:22 am

bailey2000 wrote:Hi MS,

His EP is all good, I just thought that given we are separating he might be able to instantly cancel my DP. Do you know? I'll check with MOM too but it's a bit hit and miss as to the advice you get - depends on how experienced the workers are, as with any job (including the lawyers).

cheers
a

No, he has to cancel it himself as what I understand.

You can only file papers in SG if you have been married for 3 years under the civil court. If you happen to be a Muslim then the advise will be different

You must have been married for at least 3 years before you can file a Writ for divorce on the ground that your marriage has broken down irretrievably. However, and with permission from the Court, you may proceed to file a Writ for divorce before 3 years of marriage if you can prove that you have suffered exceptional hardship or if your spouse has been exceptionally unreasonable and cruel. You are advised to consult a lawyer.

You or your spouse must be domiciled (treated Singapore as your permanent abode) at the commencement of the divorce proceedings. Alternatively, either of you must have resided in Singapore for 3 years immediately before the commencement of divorce proceedings.

I am not sure where you are filing your papers but here is the link in SG

http://app.subcourts.gov.sg/Data/Files/ ... cedure.pdf

http://www.lawsociety.org.sg/public/you ... vorce.aspx
http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/wps/w ... nd+Divorce