Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application Chance advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vikrambodicherla

PR Application Chance advice

Postby vikrambodicherla » Wed, 25 May 2011 8:05 pm

Hello,

My wife and I intend to apply for Permanent Residency here in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to run our profile by the forum and see if anyone has any advice/pointers. We are Indian citizens and got married in June 2010 in India. We are keen on setting up base here (and hopefully get PR status before home prices shoot up higher).

My wife is a P2 EP holder with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (Hons) from BITS Pilani India. She moved to SG from the US (she was working there) 9 months ago, post marriage. She holds an Indian passport. She works as a Sourcing Consultant (in the Oil and Gas industry) with a large company.

I am a P1 EP holder with a Bachelors in Computer Science (Hons) from BITS Pilani, India and Masters in Computer Science from Univ. of California. I have moved to SG from the US (post my Masters) 1 year 2 months ago. I hold an Indian passport. I work as a Software Dev. Engineer with a startup (based out of Singapore and the US). Our company was founded jointly by a Professor at the University of California and a Professor from NUS.

Our main concern is this: Though I am eligible technically to apply for PR now, the company I am with is a startup (with no revenues as yet) with 2 foreign employees (no locals!). I draw a salary above the mean salary for my experience. My wife, though technically not eligible as yet, is with a large and established company and draws a salary higher than me.

Would it be a good idea for us to apply now? Or wait till either my employer establishes itself or till my wife becomes eligible too?

Please let me know if any other details are required for someone to pass on useful advice/comments.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: PR Application Chance advice

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 25 May 2011 8:53 pm

vikrambodicherla wrote:Hello,

My wife and I intend to apply for Permanent Residency here in the next couple of weeks. I wanted to run our profile by the forum and see if anyone has any advice/pointers. We are Indian citizens and got married in June 2010 in India. We are keen on setting up base here (and hopefully get PR status before home prices shoot up higher).

My wife is a P2 EP holder with a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (Hons) from BITS Pilani India. She moved to SG from the US (she was working there) 9 months ago, post marriage. She holds an Indian passport. She works as a Sourcing Consultant (in the Oil and Gas industry) with a large company.

I am a P1 EP holder with a Bachelors in Computer Science (Hons) from BITS Pilani, India and Masters in Computer Science from Univ. of California. I have moved to SG from the US (post my Masters) 1 year 2 months ago. I hold an Indian passport. I work as a Software Dev. Engineer with a startup (based out of Singapore and the US). Our company was founded jointly by a Professor at the University of California and a Professor from NUS.

Our main concern is this: Though I am eligible technically to apply for PR now, the company I am with is a startup (with no revenues as yet) with 2 foreign employees (no locals!). I draw a salary above the mean salary for my experience. My wife, though technically not eligible as yet, is with a large and established company and draws a salary higher than me.

Would it be a good idea for us to apply now? Or wait till either my employer establishes itself or till my wife becomes eligible too?

Please let me know if any other details are required for someone to pass on useful advice/comments.

Wait and try applying after you complete 2 years in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 May 2011 9:23 pm

It would also help if you were to have a male child and apply as a family, but having said that, I'll now say the unsayable. Your odds, unfortunately, are slim as at the moment as the racial quotas have been skewed by the government allowing a heavy influx of IT personal from India over the past 10 or 11 years. This has caused the resident population of Indians (citizens/PR's) to actually increase by 2 percentage points (from around 7% to around 9% currently). Part of this can be attributable to the declining Fertility Rate of the Chinese here (lowest of all three major races) The Chinese majority (and power in this country) realize this error now and are curtailing PR's heavily from Indian Nationals. I know it's rough, but them's the facts at the moment. This was also brought up during the recent GE, as I'm sure you both are aware of.

However, I would also agree with singaporeflyer, in so much as your best chance would be to wait until both of you have been married and here for a minimum of 2 years. Better still, if you were to have a child as well, to dispel any suspicions of a marriage of convenience.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 26 May 2011 4:46 am

TO add what SMS said, the 9% increase was the lowest for this year. It was more like 10% since 2007.
Then many Indian PRs jump over to other countries like US , OZ, UK from here or did a runner when had a male child born here to prevent them doing NS. It is so prevalent that ICA took notice. This is similar to those FTs from the Peens. and China.
So your countrymen did a disfavour to all who intent to set their roots here.
Many countries like UK, Euroland,OZ and NZ have tightened their PR requirement hence it is no better to look for PR there too.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Thu, 26 May 2011 8:53 am

vikrambodicherla wrote:
Our main concern is this: Though I am eligible technically to apply for PR now

How do you say you are technically eligible for PR? Even when the restrictions were quite lax the ICA website asks for 3 yrs of income tax returns. So technically you are not eligible and realistically the only positive point is the salary but several negative aspects like reputation of your company, race and short duration of stay.

But don't take my word for it. The fact of the matter is the regulations are getting tougher and tougher and with the new minister in may change the law very soon in such a way that you may never ever be eligible for PR. So its still worth the risk applying now with newer restrictions still haven't kicked in yet.

I know its like the proverbial rock and hard place.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Sat, 28 May 2011 8:39 pm

I would say your profile is very standard and if you read the ICA guidelines on PR application you will see that you are unable to provide some of the documents that are required with the application.

Also if you notice the optional section on the PR application form that is for the employer to complete you will see that they ask for details such as number of singapore citizens and PR's employed and annual revenue of *previous* year of company.

Depending on what you said I think the application will be turned down by the first ICA officer that picks up the application form.

You have a better chance after 3 years of Income tax filing with IRAS and having a male kid or two...

vikrambodicherla wrote:Hello,

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 29 May 2011 8:42 am

FaeLLe wrote:I would say your profile is very standard and if you read the ICA guidelines on PR application you will see that you are unable to provide some of the documents that are required with the application.

Also if you notice the optional section on the PR application form that is for the employer to complete you will see that they ask for details such as number of singapore citizens and PR's employed and annual revenue of *previous* year of company.

He mentioned it so it looks like he noticed. It is always good to read all parts of somebody's post before replying to it.

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 8:21 am

Strongly doubt that you will get PR at this time.