Singapore Expats Forum

Foreign spouse association?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
ah_hup

Foreign spouse association?

Postby ah_hup » Wed, 25 May 2011 9:13 am

hi, i was just wondering if there are indeed any foreign expat association (not sure what it is called) in singapore? i'm doing some research now because in next year or so i'm will be marring my wife who's khmer and i'm hoping to integrate her into the singapore community.

i remember reading an article last time where there's a place, community center where most foreign spouse (filipino, viet, chinese etc.) will gather for cooking classes, gatherings, english language course and others.

please advise.

thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Foreign spouse association?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 30 May 2011 11:06 pm

ah_hup wrote:hi, i was just wondering if there are indeed any foreign expat association (not sure what it is called) in singapore? i'm doing some research now because in next year or so i'm will be marring my wife who's khmer and i'm hoping to integrate her into the singapore community.

i remember reading an article last time where there's a place, community center where most foreign spouse (filipino, viet, chinese etc.) will gather for cooking classes, gatherings, english language course and others.

please advise.

thanks!

there is a filipino expat housewives association .. the tai tais

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 31 May 2011 12:31 am

ecureilx wrote:
ah_hup wrote:hi, i was just wondering if there are indeed any foreign expat association (not sure what it is called) in singapore? i'm doing some research now because in next year or so i'm will be marring my wife who's khmer and i'm hoping to integrate her into the singapore community.

please advise.

thanks!

paging dazzlebabe...

:P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 31 May 2011 1:01 am

nakatago wrote:

paging dazzlebabe...

:P[/quote]

For the tai tai part or the association part ?

Coat, Hat, Umbrella .. running to my foxhole ... :D :D

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 31 May 2011 8:55 am

ecureilx wrote:
For the tai tai part or the association part ?

Coat, Hat, Umbrella .. running to my foxhole ... :D :D

Her words, not mine:

dazzlebabe wrote:...

Married, not working = Lives off husband's credit cards and ATM account

Not working = uses husband's money to buy presents/food/drinks when out with friends and family

In exchange, husband gets clean home, clean clothes, food...

ah_hup

Postby ah_hup » Tue, 31 May 2011 10:15 am

hello! thanks for the replies but NO she's not a tai tai :o
she's from a poor background back in her country and i'm hoping to provide a better life for her. right now most important is to integrate her into the singapore culture :wink:

any advise where she can meet up those foreign spouses for weekly or monthly gatherings?

i swore i read an article on the newspaper before, but i cant find it! :cry:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 31 May 2011 10:15 am

nakatago wrote:
In exchange, husband gets clean home, clean clothes, food...

Very enlightening .. Now I wonder if I should call off my wedding plans :D :D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 31 May 2011 10:30 am

ah_hup wrote:hello! thanks for the replies but NO she's not a tai tai :o
she's from a poor background back in her country and i'm hoping to provide a better life for her. right now most important is to integrate her into the singapore culture :wink:

any advise where she can meet up those foreign spouses for weekly or monthly gatherings?

i swore i read an article on the newspaper before, but i cant find it! :cry:

Seriously, give me some hints as to where you met her, and what was her work back home ..

I know atleast a vast majority are waiting to give great 'integration' advice and that comes from some 'foreign' scorned wives here ..

Some of the nice advices I eavesdropped included .. (while bartending .. )

- The husband is a cheapo, he only gives her 50 $ a day to spend

- husband must allow wife to go on vacation with relatives (and a few males thrown in as well) ..

- what kind of husband is he, if he can't accommodate the wife's extended family and relatives and everybody ?? he can't even pay for 20 people to USS ??? scary ... (doesn't matter that every month there are 20 different relatives visiting Singapore .. )

- Ah, come on, the husband don't trust the wife to get her own credit card, not good no ??

- a good husband must let the wife spend more time with her friends, considering she is in a foreign land .. (oh, male countrymen are too recommended in the 'friends' list, to be less homesick) and needless to say, the meet and relax is in bars, and the sponsor is always the 'new' expat wife being taught to ropes ..

- and an oft quoted remark : why is the husband always talking of money ? Money is not everything no ?? :D :D

Now, above are some of the worst case scenarios .. and I know, it is a slow day for me .. :D :D and the above types are the minority .. :)

I have also come across some wonderful 'expat wifes' associations, and they do great work .. and more ..

And a lot of expat wife's who spent time for helping their own countrymen upgrade their skills, provide counseling and also organise really meaningul charity drives and make sure the money reaches the right people .. and

ah_hup

Postby ah_hup » Tue, 31 May 2011 10:48 am

she's a hairdresser back home. she speaks little or poor english. i met her in siem reap while i was there on a holiday in 2009, and i only brought her over to singapore twice.

but frankly speaking.. a hairdresser shop in cambodia is totally different from singapore. there are so many local hair shops in the village district, that most of the day, there will be little or no business for most of the shop.. i've been there so many times and i have noticed that.

but right now she's attending basic english classes.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 31 May 2011 11:01 am

ah_hup wrote:but right now she's attending basic english classes.

she could start meeting people there; depending of course on how friendly she is and how approachable those other people are.

ah_hup

Postby ah_hup » Tue, 31 May 2011 11:09 am

meeting pple there as in? "there"??

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 31 May 2011 11:15 am

ah_hup wrote:meeting pple there as in? "there"??

in class.

ah_hup

Postby ah_hup » Tue, 31 May 2011 11:53 am

my gf is friendly back home.. oh and her class is mostly khmers! so she have no problem knowing new friends! haha.