Singapore Expats Forum

Do you agree:China and America-Rising Dragon, Bleeding Eagle

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

oeloel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 25 May 2011

Postby oeloel » Fri, 27 May 2011 11:26 am

Ha-ha, what? Communism? What is it?

I am shocked that your brains are washed to believe China is still a Communist country. Do you think a Communist country should have private companies, listed companies, stock market and private investment? China has rubbished the communism for a long time, although no need to announce it. Chinese people set much store by the traditional culture, not communism. What China is playing is the rule made by westerners--- liberal economy, investment, currency exchange, MNC, WTO, IMF…… It is not difficult to be an expert. It is better if you say it is a state-capitalism.

Maybe westerners prefer China to be a communist country, because they are confident to win it. However China won’t repeat the stupid things (planned economy, arms race…etc) which Soviet Union did.

Will China be a military aggression? I know there’s no such a gene in China’s culture. Let’s pray he won’t be infected by west.

Wake up, sons! (quote SE’s word).

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 May 2011 11:29 am

oeloel wrote:Ha-ha, what? Communism? What is it?

I am shocked that your brains are washed to believe China is still a Communist country. Do you think a Communist country should have private companies, listed companies, stock market and private investment? China has rubbished the communism for a long time, although no need to announce it. Chinese people set much store by the traditional culture, not communism. What China is playing is the rule made by westerners--- liberal economy, investment, currency exchange, MNC, WTO, IMF…… It is not difficult to be an expert. It is better if you say it is a state-capitalism.

Maybe westerners prefer China to be a communist country, because they are confident to win it. However China won’t repeat the stupid things (planned economy, arms race…etc) which Soviet Union did.

Will China be a military aggression? I know there’s no such a gene in China’s culture. Let’s pray he won’t be infected by west.

Wake up, sons! (quote SE’s word).


It is quite clear you really don't know much about China's economic system. Or military aggression. Or it's expansionist tendencies? Have you lately taken a look at China's ludicrous offshore territorial claims? Have you seen the huge build up in Chinese naval forces?

Make no mistake... China is still a communist dictatorship. That there has been any move away from 'pure' communist doctrine is only because that is the only way to keep the party in power. You don't believe this? Why don't you start demanding free elections on your websites? Or protest on the streets? And see how long it is before you 'disappear'.
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Fri, 27 May 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 27 May 2011 11:29 am

@oeloel: Dude, just do your homework. You obviously have things to say about the matter so why don't you just do the research to back those up and put on your paper?

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 11:59 am

nakatago wrote:And people, can we please just stop arguing the original topic? We're just doing OP's homework for him!!!


nakatago wrote:I have my opinion about the topic and as much as would like to address the points raised in the essay, I didn't because I feel that OP is pulling a fast one. Posting a very poorly cited essay in an expats forum? And when an American posts a contrarian view, he quickly resorts to a straw man argument? Then he later owns up he's doing an EMBA?



Okay. Let's follow along this line, but problem is I see is a stalemate has already develop in this thread:

A)
How to avoid helping OP with his/her "homework" in this thread, while at the same time proving his/her opinions are wrong without substantial online facts/reference/links ?

B)
nakatago wrote: I find Maheshwari's essay designed to inflame Americans. He does have some good points but he also has a lot of bad points...his credentials is irrelevant to his analysis of China's and the US's history, economy and politics, given how he did his juxtapositions.


The Author had posted other political articles on MIT Online before.
http://tech.mit.edu/author/Anurag+Maheshwari/
You might like to highlight your concern with its editors.
Image

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:06 pm

oeloel wrote:Ha-ha, what? Communism? What is it?

I am shocked that your brains are washed to believe China is still a Communist country. Do you think a Communist country should have private companies, listed companies, stock market and private investment? China has rubbished the communism for a long time, although no need to announce it. Chinese people set much store by the traditional culture, not communism. What China is playing is the rule made by westerners--- liberal economy, investment, currency exchange, MNC, WTO, IMF…… It is not difficult to be an expert. It is better if you say it is a state-capitalism.

Maybe westerners prefer China to be a communist country, because they are confident to win it. However China won’t repeat the stupid things (planned economy, arms race…etc) which Soviet Union did.

Will China be a military aggression? I know there’s no such a gene in China’s culture. Let’s pray he won’t be infected by west.

Wake up, sons! (quote SE’s word).


Am I missing something here? Could you confirm for us what the full name of your ruling party is called.

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:22 pm

oeloel wrote:Ha-ha, what? Communism? What is it?
I am shocked that your brains are washed to believe China is still a Communist country.


China is still a socialist-communist entity when defined politically and ideologically.

However, at economic and at provincial-level, Communism is essentially and practically dead.

The problem we see now and even here is a display of emotional perception rather than unbiased, factual and data-based arguments

We cannot avoid the former, I am afraid, as we are, afterall, emotional beings.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:24 pm

oeloel wrote:Ha-ha, what? Communism? What is it?
I am shocked that your brains are washed to believe China is still a Communist country.

You are the best proof of this. I do not know any other system that can provide that sort and this much of indoctrination. Ok, I guess enough for now. Everybody had his own purposes to participate in this discussion/monologue. I am done :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:36 pm

Manthink wrote:
nakatago wrote:And people, can we please just stop arguing the original topic? We're just doing OP's homework for him!!!


nakatago wrote:I have my opinion about the topic and as much as would like to address the points raised in the essay, I didn't because I feel that OP is pulling a fast one. Posting a very poorly cited essay in an expats forum? And when an American posts a contrarian view, he quickly resorts to a straw man argument? Then he later owns up he's doing an EMBA?



Okay. Let's follow along this line, but problem is I see is a stalemate has already develop in this thread:

A)
How to avoid helping OP with his/her "homework" in this thread, while at the same time proving his/her opinions are wrong without substantial online facts/reference/links ?

B)
nakatago wrote: I find Maheshwari's essay designed to inflame Americans. He does have some good points but he also has a lot of bad points...his credentials is irrelevant to his analysis of China's and the US's history, economy and politics, given how he did his juxtapositions.


The Author had posted other political articles on MIT Online before.
http://tech.mit.edu/author/Anurag+Maheshwari/
You might like to highlight your concern with its editors.
Image


A. Just walk away.

Image

B. He's a techie who likes to comment on politics. We can do that too, regardless of our backgrounds. His being a techie does not add nor take away from his political views. Also, I don't want to bother writing to the editors. Just not worth it for me.

@x9200: yup; 'nuff said.

oeloel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 25 May 2011

Postby oeloel » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:51 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:It is quite clear you really don't know much about China's economic system.

Pooh! I don't know China? Do You know it more? Can you speak Chinese?

Can you reply me in Chinese? even in a simple word? Can you? 蠢猪

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:51 pm

How to avoid helping OP with his/her "homework" in this thread, while at the same time proving his/her opinions are wrong without substantial online facts/reference/links ?

nakatago wrote:Just walk away.



The Author had posted other political articles on MIT Online before. http://tech.mit.edu/author/Anurag+Maheshwari/
You might like to highlight your concern with its editors

nakatago wrote: He's a techie who likes to comment on politics. We can do that too, regardless of our backgrounds. His being a techie does not add nor take away from his political views. Also, I don't want to bother writing to the editors. Just not worth it for me.


Saddens me having witness the death of a potentially heated/factual/fruitful exchange in this thread.

Edit: I notice contradiction in your opinion about MIT author. But I allow to let this pass. :wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 27 May 2011 1:25 pm

Manthink wrote:
How to avoid helping OP with his/her "homework" in this thread, while at the same time proving his/her opinions are wrong without substantial online facts/reference/links ?

nakatago wrote:Just walk away.



The Author had posted other political articles on MIT Online before. http://tech.mit.edu/author/Anurag+Maheshwari/
You might like to highlight your concern with its editors

nakatago wrote: He's a techie who likes to comment on politics. We can do that too, regardless of our backgrounds. His being a techie does not add nor take away from his political views. Also, I don't want to bother writing to the editors. Just not worth it for me.


Saddens me having witness the death of a potentially heated/factual/fruitful exchange in this thread.

Edit: I notice contradiction in your opinion about MIT author. But I allow to let this pass. :wink:


probably just a brain fart that I didn't get to copy read. too lazy to check.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 May 2011 1:28 pm

oeloel wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:It is quite clear you really don't know much about China's economic system.

Pooh! I don't know China? Do You know it more? Can you speak Chinese?

Can you reply me in Chinese? even in a simple word? Can you? 蠢猪


Your argument is non sequitur. I don't need to know Chinese to know about China's economic system. I don't know what you know about China, but given that you live in Singapore, you do have a wealth of opportunities to learn about China, which, by the way, restricts its own citizens access to information it does not like. 肉头

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 1:35 pm

nakatago wrote:probably just a brain fart that I didn't get to copy read. too lazy to check.


I appreciate your honesty...we all fart and laze...communist or not :wink:

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 1:44 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't need to know Chinese to know about China's economic system


I may have mis-read this statement, but it does neatly explain why some here continued to hold cold-war era perception about China and its system today.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 May 2011 2:31 pm

Manthink wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:I don't need to know Chinese to know about China's economic system


I may have mis-read this statement, but it does neatly explain why some here continued to hold cold-war era perception about China and its system today.


??

There is a wealth of current information about the economy in China. Also plenty of non-transparent things hidden by the government, like what the real GDP is, inflation rate, etc.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Withdraw Bleeding Or Somthing Else?
    by adamlevine » Tue, 07 Aug 2018 10:34 am » in Beauty, Health & Fitness
    2
    1128
    by Zenia View the latest post
    Thu, 16 Aug 2018 1:25 pm
  • thanks, strong eagle. great business-related posts.
    by taxico » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 2:15 pm » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    4
    1570
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Sat, 01 Mar 2014 2:56 am
  • Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising
    by bgd » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:06 am » in Cars & Motorcycles
    8
    3180
    by luminicious View the latest post
    Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:03 pm
  • Blood PRessure rising 150/105
    by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:58 am » in Beauty, Health & Fitness
    13
    3869
    by missyqiqi View the latest post
    Mon, 03 Apr 2017 1:22 pm
  • I Agree
    by earthfriendly » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 2:10 am » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    3
    1220
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Thu, 12 Mar 2015 6:58 am

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests