Singapore Expats Forum

Do you agree:China and America-Rising Dragon, Bleeding Eagle

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 26 May 2011 10:30 am

If you are in such a distinguished class, how is it that you cannot write your own essay?

You still have not made a single point that is on-topic re: the essay question.

Are you out of depth with this course do you think?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 26 May 2011 10:54 am

[quote="oeloel"]
Ok, Sorry to everybody here except one. I just don’t hope the author of the article, the 79% of my classmates and professors (who are from Yale, Tsinghua, MIT, NUS etc…) to be said “stupid”

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 26 May 2011 11:10 am

Blimey. I didn't even read the OP essay question, as I read news for hours a day and have no appetite to do other's work.

I wonder if the OP did, as he appears to have nothing to say about it.

Masters degree.... phhhhh!

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Thu, 26 May 2011 11:14 am

[quote="x9200"][quote="oeloel"]
Ok, Sorry to everybody here except one. I just don’t hope the author of the article, the 79% of my classmates and professors (who are from Yale, Tsinghua, MIT, NUS etc…) to be said “stupid”

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Re: Do you agree:China and America-Rising Dragon, Bleeding E

Postby JayCee » Thu, 26 May 2011 11:38 am

I've not read such a load of nationalistic, propaganda horsesh*t in a long time. Just to pick out a few diamonds:

oeloel wrote:In 2010, China's continental economy was 70% that of US, and by 2016 -- in 5 years -- China (including Hong Kong and Macau) will rush past United States to become the leading economic power.


Do you have any proof or numbers to back this up? Everything I have read indicates it will be at least 15-20 years before China's GDP manages to overtake America's.

And even when or if China's GDP does overtake the US's, so what? China recently overtook Japan, but your average Japanese person is richer and has a far higher standard of living than your average Chinese person. GDP per capita is more relavent, not just total GDP.

The scale of demographic asymmetry between China and America is even more staggering. In last the 50 years, the US added 130 million people, whereas China added 680 million -- equal to the entire population of Europe. During last decade, US added 4 million babies per year on average, compared to 19 million per year for China. Quite simply, China is giving birth to one Canada and Australia every three years.


And? What use is having a huge population if a large proportion of them are going to be living in poverty?


It is hard to imagine that by 2030 the proud average Chinese will not live longer and healthier than the sexually liberated, drugs, television, and fast foods saturated American.


China is rapidly catching up the US as the country with the largest number of obese people in the world, and it also has the largest number of smokers and cancer related diseases caused by this.

Not quite sure why you think being sexually liberated is a cause of dying early, on the contrary regular sex contributes to people's happiness and helps them live longer, but of course if you think this is a bad thing then you should probably mention the rampant prostitution industry in almost every Chinese town and city and of course the fact that there are more HIV cases in China than the US. I'm sure it was just an oversight to forget to mention this huh? :roll:


China is also one of the most cohesive countries in the world. Racially, almost 100% of China is Asian, with almost negligible white, black, or brown minorities. In culture and ethnicity, Han Chinese constitute roughly 90% of all China, while the unassimilated and rebellious Mongols, Uighurs, and Tibetans make-up less than 2%, although their homeland altogether is 40% of China's landmass. China is more racially cohesive in 2011 than the US was in 1960 during Ike's Presidency, when almost 90% of all America was white.


Congratulations, China in 2011 is more racially cohesive (whatever that means) than America in 1960, quite how relevant this is anything I'm not sure though :?

Of course, let's not mention the fact that Tibet is only a part of China because it was brutally invaded by the Chinese military, and the reason that the Mongols, Uighurs and Tibetans are 'rebellious' is because they are persecuted and treated as second class citizens by the CCP


In sharp contrast, America today is more racially fragmented then at any point in four centuries -- a tangle of squabbling minorities, as President Teddy Roosevelt ominously warned. The triumph of cultural Marxism and the Great Society after 1965 cannot be overstated. The birth rates for non-Hispanic whites rapidly plummeted during the 60s and have been chronically below 1.9 children per woman for more than 40 years. According to 2010 census, non-Hispanic whites have shrunk to less than 65% of America. With rapid and unabated racial and cultural fragmentation it is hard to believe tomorrow's America will be as single minded, vibrant, peaceful, and prosperous as it was until Reagan's Presidency.


Quite what race has got to do with economic power or development I don't know, are you implying that because China is more 'pure' that that is somehow better than a country like America which has large minority populations? I guess you were a fan of the 'final solution' put forward by Hitler too?


While China fosters and rewards meritocracy and excellence,


As long as you're a member of the CCP...

44 million people on food stamps,


As opposed to how many millions in poverty?

Is your mum Auntie Batty Anne Teoh by any chance?

Btw I'm not American and I'm marrying a girl from China soon, and even she can see through the bullsh*t written in this article

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11109
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 26 May 2011 12:07 pm

oeloel wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:There are three things missing.

1. China is corrupt. It is corrupt from top to bottom... from top government leaders to chickenshit business men who would poison infant's milk in the name of profit. There are no mechanisms in place to stop this.

2. There is no independent judicial system... the judges are in the pockets of the corrupt people that appoint them. The ruling party will not permit an independent judiciary because of the threat to their own power.

3. There is no real free market economy... the government intervenes everywhere. Failures are hidden... the banks are a mess.

Bottom line... China is getting ready for a crash... a big one. Why do you think that the US is still the reserve currency even though it has big problems? Because China is a non-transparent, manipulative dictatorship, and while this has worked for a couple of decades, no one in the global economy is stupid enough to believe that China is a future reserve currency.


pooh-pooh, I never argue with an idiot.


Me either... that's why I seriously questioned whether I should even bother to reply.

Actually, there are a couple more things wrong.

d) The Chinese artificially manipulate their currency against others, so much so that other countries, the US included, are devaluing their currencies to alleviate the global effects of China's negative and short sighted monetary policy... never mind that inflation in China has take off and won't be stopped anytime soon.

e) China refuses to be a credible and trustworthy global partner. Instead, it supports dictators like those in North Korea, Myanmar, Iran, and a lot more. It is absolutely raping the forests of Laos and Cambodia, never mind the fact that ethnic Chinese are well on the way to becoming the dominant majority in each country. It blocks any and all actions in the UN to deal with African strife in the hopes it can strike a deal with the despots for oil and minerals.

f) China has no respect for human rights, nor for democracy. People are jailed without trial, for speaking their minds. Entire races of people like the Uighurs are being slowly wiped out as a purposeful Chinese policy of relocating ethnic Chinese to Tibet and elsewhere continues unabated.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 26 May 2011 4:36 pm

Image

Image

oeloel
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 25 May 2011

Postby oeloel » Thu, 26 May 2011 10:30 pm

In the class of this topic discussion, I mentioned that China’s development will be disturbed by western countries because of westerner’s arrogance, bias, selfishness or nescience. The weapon they can use is the imaginary "China Threat" and "Democracy" only. However, none of professors ventured to accept it, whether he’s from Tsinghua or Yale. I promised to fetch the materials to prove it. Thank you, some of the materials you provided above is enough.

Regarding “the China Threat”

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11109
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:14 am

See... your problem is... and the reason that you would never get a masters in the US... is that you have not addressed a single issue I presented... just more propaganda. What do you want me to do? Cite newspaper articles for each assertion I've made? Easy enough to do.

Wake up, son. You will go no where at a high rate of speed if you continue to insist that the party line is the truth.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 27 May 2011 12:57 am

oeloel wrote:JR8, your picture and your lowness are a perfect match.


China 'disappears' even it's world renowned artists. What a terrified and terrifying state it is.

Maybe you should try and answer your exam question by comparing the number of number of Chinese that naturalise in the US, vs Americans who naturalise in China. What do reckon the ratio is? 50,000:1? And why do you think that might be Mr. eMBA?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 27 May 2011 6:19 am

I am really surprised that a modern, educated Chinese national shows this level of communistic indoctrination. Last time I heard so much of propaganda was during the USSR era. You use exactly the same rhetorics. Word by word. Rotten West where Black comrades suffer under the iron fist of the imperialistic tyranny. Are you sure you are from China and not from North Korea? My country has never had a single colony nor any form of the slavery or discrimination (modern times of course). I also largely disagree with military approach the States adopted to solve some international problems yet I speak the same voice for majority of the points raised by your other opponents.
The China threat as you see it so a military aggression will be unlikely used as an argument in the main stream politics as it is rather primitive and populistic. Until you have resources there should be no problem here. Lack of democracy and exploitation of your working class (let me use your rhetorics for a moment) - yes, because these are the valid points and unfair competitive advantage. Also as you do not believe in a fully free trade this will be used to protect other nations interests and limit your economical expansion.
Talking about aggression and the peaceful China - do you realize you are the aggressor in this thread? I do not agree with the language SE used in his earlier response but again he is right: you chose not to address any logical arguments and instead you put all your efforts to belittle your opponents just because they say something you don't like. You have more than enough language skills to do both. As I wrote before, you came here to show how proud you are of your country and (now to expand) tease the imperialistic bastards surely populating this forum rather than to collect any opinions so sadly also JR8 was right.

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 10:08 am

Here we go again.

Frankly, I see both sides had presented their argument with passion and conviction.

On one side ,we observed the persistent view here that a raising power in question remains a threat, like it or not as the its history and human-rights records fail to meet some standards set by developed nations.

On the other, we see an apparent counter-view trying to converse in a non-native language, providing their arguments and their historical perspectives even having experience how a Western society is really like.

I am curious how many of us here had experience in living in both US and China over extended period?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 27 May 2011 10:12 am

Manthink wrote:Frankly, I see both sides had presented their argument with passion and conviction.


This has never been in doubt. What is, is the validity of their arguments.

And people, can we please just stop arguing the original topic? We're just doing OP's homework for him!!!

Manthink
Regular
Regular
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri, 25 Feb 2011

Postby Manthink » Fri, 27 May 2011 10:34 am

nakatago wrote:
Manthink wrote:Frankly, I see both sides had presented their argument with passion and conviction.

This has never been in doubt. What is, is the validity of their arguments.


And to validate if those arguments are factual or not, we probably need to start another thread, which I predict will be another futile attempt to converge on the differing views...

So folks, why not Google and provide the links that supports your point(s).
Then let the reader decide.



And people, can we please just stop arguing the original topic? We're just doing OP's homework for him!!!


Ah, that's what we need - a reminder to how this thread come about.

The OP is refering to an article by Anurag Maheshwari dated 22 May 2011.
I assumed this is the original link http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/05/ ... drago.html
Image

Edit: And may I add the author has provided following credential:
Andy Maheshwari (PhD) specializes in Medical Biotechnology. He has been published in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's The-Tech during his Post-Doctoral Fellowship, in Canada Free Press and American Thinker.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 27 May 2011 10:42 am

Manthink wrote:
And people, can we please just stop arguing the original topic? We're just doing OP's homework for him!!!


Ah, that's what we need - a reminder to how this thread come about.

The OP is refering to an article by Anurag Maheshwari dated 22 May 2011.
I assumed this is the original link http://www.americanthinker.com/2011/05/ ... drago.html


I have my opinion about the topic and as much as would like to address the points raised in the essay, I didn't because I feel that OP is pulling a fast one. Posting a very poorly cited essay in an expats forum? And when an American posts a contrarian view, he quickly resorts to a straw man argument? Then he later owns up he's doing an EMBA?

Please...

Moreover, I find Maheshwari's essay designed to inflame Americans. He does have some good points but he also has a lot of bad points. Also I find his credentials is irrelevant to his analysis of China's and the US's history, economy and politics, given how he did his juxtapositions. I will not point them out--OP should be knowledgeable enough to be able to pick them out (in spite of his claim that he's not a native English speaker). He should have enough material to do some research and also get the indoctrination out of him.

So, I will have to go against your request of posting citations and links. I am against doing OP's work for him.

Again, DON'T DO OP'S WORK FOR HIM.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Withdraw Bleeding Or Somthing Else?
    by adamlevine » Tue, 07 Aug 2018 10:34 am » in Beauty, Health & Fitness
    2
    1138
    by Zenia View the latest post
    Thu, 16 Aug 2018 1:25 pm
  • thanks, strong eagle. great business-related posts.
    by taxico » Thu, 27 Feb 2014 2:15 pm » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    4
    1571
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Sat, 01 Mar 2014 2:56 am
  • Malaysian motorcycle tolls rising
    by bgd » Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:06 am » in Cars & Motorcycles
    8
    3180
    by luminicious View the latest post
    Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:03 pm
  • Blood PRessure rising 150/105
    by PNGMK » Sat, 11 Feb 2017 11:58 am » in Beauty, Health & Fitness
    13
    3877
    by missyqiqi View the latest post
    Mon, 03 Apr 2017 1:22 pm
  • I Agree
    by earthfriendly » Wed, 18 Feb 2015 2:10 am » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    3
    1221
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Thu, 12 Mar 2015 6:58 am

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests