Singapore Expats Forum

SPR - Moving on ..

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ginger_beer

SPR - Moving on ..

Postby ginger_beer » Wed, 18 May 2011 1:45 am

Hi guys,

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I'm a 1st generation PR, Indonesian nationality. Here's my life story so far:

1) Came to Singapore from an early age, went through secondary school & poly.

-- 1st REP --
2) Upon graduation from poly, got invited to apply for PR. Applied and worked for a short while (half a year or so), then continue to study at NUS.

3) After completed NUS, worked for two years from 2006 - 2008, then took some time off from Singapore for a couple of months. The REP was about to expire so I renewed it.

-- 2nd REP (Dec 2008 to Dec 2013) --
4) Worked again in sg for another year from March 2009 - March 2010. Finally completed the tuition grant bond. After that, returned to Indonesia for a while and went for graduate study overseas. I'm still overseas now. My study is estimated to complete by September 2012 earliest.

-- The question --
From reading around this forum, I know that if I want to return to Singapore again and be able to renew the REP for the next 5 years, then I'd need to show income tax assessment for the past 3 years before the end date of Dec 2013. However, assuming even I were to return to Singapore immediately upon graduation, I'd only be able to show a total of 2 years non-continuous income tax assessment (1 year at the beginning of the 2nd REP + expected 1 year plus at the end of the 2nd REP).

Does this mean that I consider my PR status to be gone already ? If yes, I'd cut my losses and renounce the PR when I pass by the country next month, and use my CPF money to fund my studies.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, I appreciate it!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: SPR - Moving on ..

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 18 May 2011 4:11 am

ginger_beer wrote:Hi guys,

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I'm a 1st generation PR, Indonesian nationality. Here's my life story so far:

1) Came to Singapore from an early age, went through secondary school & poly.

-- 1st REP --
2) Upon graduation from poly, got invited to apply for PR. Applied and worked for a short while (half a year or so), then continue to study at NUS.

3) After completed NUS, worked for two years from 2006 - 2008, then took some time off from Singapore for a couple of months. The REP was about to expire so I renewed it.

-- 2nd REP (Dec 2008 to Dec 2013) --
4) Worked again in sg for another year from March 2009 - March 2010. Finally completed the tuition grant bond. After that, returned to Indonesia for a while and went for graduate study overseas. I'm still overseas now. My study is estimated to complete by September 2012 earliest.

-- The question --
From reading around this forum, I know that if I want to return to Singapore again and be able to renew the REP for the next 5 years, then I'd need to show income tax assessment for the past 3 years before the end date of Dec 2013. However, assuming even I were to return to Singapore immediately upon graduation, I'd only be able to show a total of 2 years non-continuous income tax assessment (1 year at the beginning of the 2nd REP + expected 1 year plus at the end of the 2nd REP).

Does this mean that I consider my PR status to be gone already ? If yes, I'd cut my losses and renounce the PR when I pass by the country next month, and use my CPF money to fund my studies.

Thanks for taking your time to reply, I appreciate it!

Do not do that !!, if you can show proof of overseas studies after your second REP and your intention to return to SG and sets your roots here, please e-mail to CAB ICA Kallang. Do it now, you should be alright.
My reasons are you have served your NUS bond, you stayed and worked here abd left for overseas studies NOT to add one more PR label on our PP. Moreover you are Indon Chinese !!
You need to show proof to that effect and you should be alright
Kamu jangan gementar, tititp segala macam doc yang dibutuhi oleh pemerintah SG.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ginger_beer

Postby ginger_beer » Wed, 18 May 2011 4:54 am

Thanks, Mad Scientist. I haven't made up my mind whether to return to Singapore, so trying to explore the available options now. While Singapore is sort of a second home to me, I've spent about 10 years there and rather looking for a change.

Another question:

I didn't request for my last company company to submit the IR21 form when I left the country last year March 2010. If I still want to renounce the PR, should I email the company to request them to do that now ? Or it is no longer necessary because the filing period has passed for this year ? I checked the IRAS portal and it stated that no filing is necessary for me for the period 2010 - 2011.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:05 am

ginger_beer wrote:Thanks, Mad Scientist. I haven't made up my mind whether to return to Singapore, so trying to explore the available options now. While Singapore is sort of a second home to me, I've spent about 10 years there and rather looking for a change.

Another question:

I didn't request for my last company company to submit the IR21 form when I left the country last year March 2010. If I still want to renounce the PR, should I email the company to request them to do that now ? Or it is no longer necessary because the filing period has passed for this year ? I checked the IRAS portal and it stated that no filing is necessary for me for the period 2010 - 2011.

YOu should get your employer to file your returns and seek advise with IRAS if there is any tax due on you
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!