Singapore Expats Forum

Just plain sloppy

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 18 May 2011 9:56 am

It reminds me of a conversation i had with a friend some years back when we worked together in a factory in China.

He had a cold/flu and of course, as is customary, carried his handkerchief (hankie) for his snivels. Anyhow, without being to disgusting about the whole thing he blew his nose...... and the line supervisor he just happened to be standing next to at the time said 'What are you keeping it for?'

Better out than in i suppose........ much like the buuuuuuurp.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 18 May 2011 10:33 am

@SMS: is the code-switch trigger more of the Western/International environment or more on a side of acquaintance/colleague/family factor?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 11:33 am

I reckon it depends on respect or at least perceived respect. Of course that could be respect for somebody else or themselves I suppose. But that, of course, could work both ways. Take WIMH for example. I reckon she talks the way she writes on here most of the time, but with some of her local friends who might not have had the benefits of her background, she may well revert to singlish as respect to her friends, so as not to appear too "above"? her friends (or putting on airs as they say). She would probably be able to put it in a way that makes more sense, but as a ole cow flop pusher, I'm trying the bestest I can! :(

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 18 May 2011 12:37 pm

First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.

Will agree with the WIMH comment,
I always think that there are a few types of locals, the english (New English) / non english speaking types, the Old English (length of time these english speaking started speaking english (number of generation?)) and the foreign schooled ones.

The different types, will show the different levels of civility.

User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009

Postby aargon » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:20 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.



Yeah, that pretty much sums its up - first world country, third world citizens. Heard that phrase ringing around this forum many times.
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:35 pm

aargon wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.



Yeah, that pretty much sums its up - first world country, third world citizens. Heard that phrase ringing around this forum many times.


Yeah, my country is getting just a bad, what with all the 3rd world immigrants and illegal aliens everywhere. In fact, I reckon it's even worse than here.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aargon wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.



Yeah, that pretty much sums its up - first world country, third world citizens. Heard that phrase ringing around this forum many times.


Yeah, my country is getting just a bad, what with all the 3rd world immigrants and illegal aliens everywhere. In fact, I reckon it's even worse than here.


similar thing in canada, uk, italy, france, australia...

User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009

Postby aargon » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:51 pm

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aargon wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.



Yeah, that pretty much sums its up - first world country, third world citizens. Heard that phrase ringing around this forum many times.


Yeah, my country is getting just a bad, what with all the 3rd world immigrants and illegal aliens everywhere. In fact, I reckon it's even worse than here.


similar thing in canada, uk, italy, france, australia...


have any of you read the book "lord of the flies"?

Its has a controversial subject regarding human nature and our descent from modern society into being being savages.

Having observed the people here over the weekend, I believe its coming to fruition....
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:53 pm

aargon wrote:
nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aargon wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:First classed country with majority third class people.
It will take time for all to be "more" civilized.



Yeah, that pretty much sums its up - first world country, third world citizens. Heard that phrase ringing around this forum many times.


Yeah, my country is getting just a bad, what with all the 3rd world immigrants and illegal aliens everywhere. In fact, I reckon it's even worse than here.


similar thing in canada, uk, italy, france, australia...


have any of you read the book "lord of the flies"?

Its has a controversial subject regarding human nature and our descent from modern society into being being savages.

Having observed the people here over the weekend, I believe its coming to fruition....


nice analogy there.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 May 2011 4:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:, but as a ole cow flop pusher, I'm trying the bestest I can! :(


Er, and what on earth is one of those! :???:

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 18 May 2011 4:35 pm

JR8 wrote:[quote="sundaymorningstaple", but as a ole cow flop pusher, I'm trying the bestest I can! :(


Er, and what on earth is one of those! :???:[/quote]

I figured that he was a cowboy back then, where he needed to herd the cows into their pens or the bulls into the starting gates of a rodeo. But i may be wrong.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:09 pm

If you grew up on a dairy farm, you would learn real quick what cow flops are. Got to clean 'em up in the milking shed, loafing sheds and runs in between. The ones out in the fields you just let 'em be and wait for a while and it all comes good with the sprouting of these little helpers to make getting up at 3:30 am every morning all the more worthwhile....

Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:18 pm

Er, something about cows udders and magic mushrooms? :?

User avatar
aargon
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun, 20 Sep 2009

Postby aargon » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:19 pm

cow flop must = cow dung?
Everybody was KungFu Fighting.....

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:25 pm

aargon wrote:cow flop must = cow dung?


:wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Just How Easy is it to Mingle in Singapore?
    by piyushdabomb » Mon, 14 Oct 2013 12:15 am » in 30's Club
    43
    11031
    by PrimroseHill View the latest post
    Thu, 05 Dec 2013 1:31 pm
  • Not just the red dot
    by Steve1960 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:44 am » in General Discussions
    21
    6443
    by PrimroseHill View the latest post
    Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:42 am
  • Just .... somewhat amusing stuff, news etc
    by JR8 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:04 pm » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    53
    11442
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Wed, 15 Jan 2014 9:15 pm
  • 25/F Just moved here from Scotland
    by KirstenH » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:41 am » in Newcomer's Lounge
    13
    4359
    by drumma View the latest post
    Wed, 12 Feb 2014 9:02 pm
  • 27 F from UK, just moved to Sing, looking for friends
    by sophie5 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:12 pm » in Newcomer's Lounge
    7
    2428
    by Darkwalker View the latest post
    Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:14 am

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests