Whats with the race preference?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Condos

Post by nakatago » Mon, 16 May 2011 11:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: For what it's worth though, I'm not most Filipinos (different accent, different thought patterns, kinda anti-social) so when I talk, potential landlords already get their stereotypes shaken up.
Oh no, aren't into black clothes and slasher moves issit? :) :P
Sorry; still resting from that thing we did the first weekend of May...anyone knows anyone who fixes swords? My blacksmith is on holiday.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 7:58 pm

Post by OdinZA » Tue, 17 May 2011 3:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The reason so many advertisements are seemingly anti-Indian is actually due to the cooking habits of a lot of them (definitely not all - I can vouch for that). :wink:

This is a very old thread but it is still valid......

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic49952.html
Good thread, thanks for that. On the cooking front, we tend to follow the South Indian style of curry cooking i.e with oil and done on a normal stove. This is only when we actually eat curry which tends to be about once a month or so.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 May 2011 11:49 am

OdinZA wrote: Good thread, thanks for that. On the cooking front, we tend to follow the South Indian style of curry cooking i.e with oil and done on a normal stove. This is only when we actually eat curry which tends to be about once a month or so.

Let me rephrase it - SiNGAPORE LAND LORDS WANT NO COOKING, and the frequent hint to "Coffee shop nearby/food court within walking distance" is a clear hint to that ...

If you cook daily, regardless whether curry/oil/non-stick or whatever, you loose the plot ...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 May 2011 3:48 pm

ecureilx wrote:
OdinZA wrote: Good thread, thanks for that. On the cooking front, we tend to follow the South Indian style of curry cooking i.e with oil and done on a normal stove. This is only when we actually eat curry which tends to be about once a month or so.

Let me rephrase it - SiNGAPORE LAND LORDS WANT NO COOKING, and the frequent hint to "Coffee shop nearby/food court within walking distance" is a clear hint to that ...

If you cook daily, regardless whether curry/oil/non-stick or whatever, you loose the plot ...

Don't get it. You're saying that Indians and Chinese are commonly barred because the cook, period.

But what of other race's cooking? Wouldn't it be simpler (if what you say is right) to say 'no cooking', or just take out the oven/hob/range?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 May 2011 3:59 pm

JR8 wrote: Don't get it. You're saying that Indians and Chinese are commonly barred because the cook, period.

But what of other race's cooking? Wouldn't it be simpler (if what you say is right) to say 'no cooking', or just take out the oven/hob/range?
Let me clarify ..

Indians are not preferred, because they cook, chinese (Mainland) are not preferrred for some other reason ..

What cooking ? If half of Singapore cooks, how many coffee-shops and foond courts will be broke .. and you can add, Mac, KFC .. and all the fast food joints .. wonder why Mac introduced the mac breakfast and have you seen how many people buy Mac for breakfast ??

And if you are in 'heartland' you will know that at 7 AM, parents send the maid to buy food .. for themselves ..

As for taking out the oven/hob - not done .. a house is incomplete without a kitchen and a kitchen is a place for special occasions .. and microwaving .. right ?? :D :D

And 9 out of 10 singaporeans cook so much, so much so, the electric kettle is placed on top of the gas cooker ..

Anybody wanna back me up to prove I am not spinning any yarn ??

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 May 2011 4:27 pm

My SGn MIL certainly routinely cooks. I cooked a lot in SG. My in-laws all seem to cook at home or have their maids cook.

I can understand the point about food-court chow being so economical that for many people it probably makes no sense cooking often at home. But I still don't think I get the idea of an apartment having a kitchen but not being expected to use it.

Could it be that a large proportion of SG-Chinese are happy with food-court food, but other races cannot get their own cuisine so widely, and therefore are more likely to wish to cook it at home? So definition the SGn-Chinese cook much less than other races.

ps. Er, what exactly is a landlords problem with cooking anyway? Wouldn't seem wise to restrict your market of potential tenants over such a matter.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 May 2011 4:36 pm

JR8 wrote:My SGn MIL certainly routinely cooks. I cooked a lot in SG. My in-laws all seem to cook at home or have their maids cook.

I can understand the point about food-court chow being so economical that for many people it probably makes no sense cooking often at home. But I still don't think I get the idea of an apartment having a kitchen but not being expected to use it.

Could it be that a large proportion of SG-Chinese are happy with food-court food, but other races cannot get their own cuisine so widely, and therefore are more likely to wish to cook it at home? So definition the SGn-Chinese cook much less than other races.

ps. Er, what exactly is a landlords problem with cooking anyway? Wouldn't seem wise to restrict your market of potential tenants over such a matter.
JR8: You are one lucky guy .. to have a MIL who cooks .. forget about your family .. ask the next door maid if she cooks .. 90% she will buy and only about 10% of the time she will cook

Not just chinese, indians and malays, in Singapore, find eating out faster and cheaper and an occasional cook-at-home is much better than daily cooking ..

as for what happens to the kitchen if regular cooking happens ?? one of My past co-tenants, were filipinos, and were extremely fond of deep frying and letting meat simmer for upto an hour ...

Net result: when we vacated, the landlord not only held back 1,000 $ of the deposit for cleaning the kitchen, and in an effort to prove him wrong, our valiant efforts with the best cleaning agent + hours of scrubbing only produced one result: NOTHING !!!

And only when I looked back, i realised the wall was not as black as it was, when we took over, and within a couple of years, we had turned it extremly black ..

Well, not all kitchens have smoke/oil extractors, and not all kitchens are fully washable ..

If you been to India, in India, the kitchen tops are concrete, and a period clearing and top down washing is the norm, to remove all stains and oil ..

Over and out ..

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 May 2011 4:46 pm

When you write 'Over and out' does that mean you're done with the discussion? (You've done it before...)

:???: :)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 17 May 2011 4:56 pm

JR8 wrote:When you write 'Over and out' does that mean you're done with the discussion? (You've done it before...)

:???: :)
Chief, over and out .. (atleast in my circle), means, time to shut off my comp and grab some shut eye for a long day at work tomorrow :D :D

No offense .. chief ..

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 May 2011 5:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:When you write 'Over and out' does that mean you're done with the discussion? (You've done it before...)

:???: :)
Chief, over and out .. (atleast in my circle), means, time to shut off my comp and grab some shut eye for a long day at work tomorrow :D :D

No offense .. chief ..
OIC! Don't worry, I'm thick-skinned, no offence taken, I just didn't understand the reference.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39564
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 May 2011 5:36 pm

I'd die without the kitchen! 98% of all our meals are home cooked. I'm lucky my wife loves to cook (and for the past 3.5 years, I've been cooking all of my meals as well (she still cooks for the family - there are 8 of us altogether. However, the load has become lighter now that my kids are adults as they tend to eat out lots, but my wife & I & MiL still eat at home. Oh, and my wife works full time as well. We don't eat in Hawker centres too much as my wife has a big problem with MSG & since I lost all the weight 3 years ago, I don't eat too much that I don't prepare. I'd have a real problem with renting here!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 7:58 pm

Post by OdinZA » Wed, 18 May 2011 2:07 am

Urgh, I can understand eating out because its cheaper but living on non home cooked food 7 days a week is not particularly appealing. There is a certain pleasure to be had from eating someone at home where you know exactly what has gone into the food.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Wed, 18 May 2011 2:17 am

OdinZA wrote:Urgh, I can understand eating out because its cheaper but living on non home cooked food 7 days a week is not particularly appealing. There is a certain pleasure to be had from eating someone at home where you know exactly what has gone into the food.
O-K!
:o :wink:

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 7:58 pm

Post by OdinZA » Wed, 18 May 2011 2:34 am

drat my secret is out :oops:

pochari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 9:07 pm

Post by pochari » Wed, 18 May 2011 11:54 pm

For what it's worth, my realtor mentioned that landlords tend to prefer non Indians and Chinese because he said that their cooking is very strong and it can cause problems with neighbors.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests