Singapore Expats

Top International Schools in Singapore

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 25 Aug 2011 8:16 am

I guess it is those serious drawbacks that I'm trying to uncover. My concerns are that the local school system is "perceived" to be either too difficult or woefully inadequate. I'm just hoping my experience can shed some light via a real experience and not just perception and rumor.

BTW, I am only speaking about primary education in this thread. Because I do not have experience with secondary education I don't comment.

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 5:55 pm

boffenl wrote:The vast majority of children in local schools do not receive extra tuition.Extra tuition does not mean higher scores.
Great to see your information regarding the efficacy of extra curricular tuition. Do you know of a address at which I can see numbers that address or flesh out your experiential knowledge?

There’s a few foundation, well flogged ideas that get my attention in this area and as is often the case, I ask questions … even if only of myself. One area of interest for me is the, ummmm, strident contrapuntal and approved, approving use of the word itself, “kiasu,”

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Fri, 26 Aug 2011 6:21 pm

boffenl wrote: I guess it is those serious drawbacks that I'm trying to uncover.

You and me, boffenl. Maybe some will chime in with first person reports of circumstances anywhere in the scale between way-difficult and thoughtfully designed and executed education.

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 3:40 pm

boffenl wrote:it is those serious drawbacks that I'm trying to uncover. .
You may have guessed I'm gathering information to better inform a decision between MOE and private schools.

In fact, as you also may have divined, up to this moment I favor MOE. In fact I just learned that SAS uses “Chicago Math,”

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 4:05 pm

Data is hard to come by on such a divisive topic. Annecdotal (sp?) evidence is never enough when it concerns money, children, prestige and upward mobility.

Good luck uncovering something--I'd love to see it too!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 01 Sep 2011 6:09 pm

[quote="rothhimmel"]In fact I just learned that SAS uses “Chicago Math,”

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:40 pm

boffenl wrote:Data is hard to come by on such a divisive topic. Good luck uncovering something--I'd love to see it too!
'morning Boffenl ...

I'm still wrestling with the "public or private" school problem and it occurred to me there may be, ummm, for lack of a better term, an education consultant that can quote numbers in various areas, say, for instance university acceptance for both classes of school.

You have knowledge of any such practitioners?

wow. Who knew this discussion would rise like a rocketpower hobgoblin?

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 8:35 am

That would be a tough one since most International School students would pursue their tertiary education outside Singapore versus local students who would prefer to stay local. And local university places are not enough for the demand unlike in the US and Canada where a student who wants to study can find a place. That being said, there are many more local school educated students studying at US Ivy League Uni's than SG international school students, and not just because the sheer numbers of students are different (more local students) but the Ivy's have shown a marked preference for certain local schools and recruit heavily there, as do major US state universities like Purdue, Iowa, Ohio, Texas and the UC system.

Not to be a downer on International Schools, but my understanding is Raffles Institute alone produces two or three Harvard kids a year versus SAS, Tanglin and UWCSEA that does not. Again, maybe Harvard has different recruitment criteria than just what's on paper I don't know. And that's if you want to use the Ivy's as a yardstick--I'm not sure that's the way to go either.

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:38 am

“ … there are more local school educated students studying at US Ivy League Uni's than SG International School students, the Ivy's have shown a marked preference for certain local schools and recruit heavily there, as do major US state universities like Purdue, Iowa, Ohio, Texas and the UC system.“

“.. but my understanding is Raffles Institute alone produces two or three Harvard kids a year versus SAS, Tanglin and UWCSEA that does not. ”

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:58 pm

[quote="rothhimmel"]He can learn to drink beer and get high and goof off when he gets to university in US. Indeed, with superior grade school prep provided by MOE he’s better equipped to be a slacker in US undergrad!”

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 8:59 am

“Now you sound like my husband! “

Best to call a spade a spade, in my estimation and more: NOT build a path to an objective on a layer of flawed aspiration and information. Thanks for your comments. It's great to know there’s at least a few others out on this landscape who wish to go forward with eyes not clouded.

Of course a central element of the immigrant experience is the wish to turn ones back on a culture of origin though in the situation before me, evidence so clearly establishes excellence in the MOE offering that to twist it into detriment feels particularly self delusional and egregious.

“… Everything white was better. So, the whiter a school the better.”

boffenl
Reporter
Reporter

Post by boffenl » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 3:23 pm

I think I like you rothhimmel! :kiss:

It's certainly an issue of having your eyes open to all the possibilities--and their intended and unintended consequences. As I've stated, one of the reasons we chose Singapore is the rigorous primary school education. It's been the right choice for our daughter and one I'd encourage others who are open to the possibilities to explore as well.

As I come across info I'll pass it on! You do the same please!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 15 Sep 2011 8:11 pm

When it comes to sifting through information and statistics regarding universities, it is very important to remember that like everything else, it is a business - not only for the colleges but for all of the (seemingly) unbiased reporting sources. U.S. News & World Report has been known to construct their lists only to retract important details because of sloppy reporting, but only after the 'damage' is done.

Any decision-making should come from a number of sources, and any information taken with a huge grain of salt. When it comes down to it, a 'brand name' education won't do much if its a poor fit or if you had to sell your soul and your childhood to get there (paging Amy Chua).

Most US universities now brag about their diversity and forefront it as a marketing tool. It's never been a better time to be a foreigner applying to the top US schools. Last year caucasian females from all over the world had the highest rejection rates in the US. My college counselor friends say it has everything to do with marketing trends and little to do with student resumes. Who know what the trend will be in years to come, it's just important to realize there is a trend.

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 2:39 pm

" think I like you rothhimmel!"

Wow! What a generous comment! Thank you Boffenl, I’m both flattered and quick to say that I’m a fan of your thoughts posted here.

Indeed, the academic rigor of Singapore Primary education is at the top of foundation reasons list that prompted me to vote to set up camp here … that, plus I figgered it a good idea to get the child out of the social scene in New York City.

OK, there are a few great schools there though in my estimation the juice ain’t worth the squeeze if an option like Singapore MOE culture is in the mix.

However, I DO have my work cut out in the effort to illuminate, for my sweetie, reasons that its OK for baobao to be a yellow person bobbing in the western white sea. "Here Be Dragons."

I look forward to ability to say a version of your “It's been the right choice for our daughter and one I'd encourage for others.”

rothhimmel

Post by rothhimmel » Fri, 16 Sep 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks for the note, Ms Bailey

“information and statistics are business”