Singapore Expats Forum

P1 approved in one day, but DP still pending after 3.5 weeks

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

vevey

P1 approved in one day, but DP still pending after 3.5 weeks

Postby vevey » Thu, 12 May 2011 4:07 am

I called MOM and an officer told me it was randomly selected and going through the vetting process and would take about two months. She even suggested that we withdraw and re-sub the app when I asked advice for expediting the app. Mom's online messege indicates that 80% of the DP app. got approved in one week. It seems like I was welcomed, but not my wife.:(

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 12 May 2011 9:53 am

I would have thought you could apply LTSVP for your wife since you are P1.
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Thu, 12 May 2011 10:02 am

Mad Scientist wrote:I would have thought you could apply LTSVP for your wife since you are P1.

That link says its for common law spouses. When I looked at the link for DP, it stated its for spouses.

Are you saying that spouse already meets the requirements of a common law spouse and hence is eligible for both DP and LTSVP?

vevey

Postby vevey » Thu, 12 May 2011 10:37 am

We are relocating from US. Im a US citizen and my wife is US PR. I've been focusing on things like selling my house, finding the Mover... Never thought the DP could be a problem. Because I can not go to Singapore without my family, it is giving me some headache. Why did MOM want to put my wife's DP app. through such serious checking and let me go so easily. She is just a dependent. I searched the forum and did not see similar cases like this. I feel MOM is not that considerate and is confusing me.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 12 May 2011 11:36 am

Where is your wife originally from? And why do MOM have to be 'considerate'? You're coming to their country it only makes sense they do all the checks before they allow you in

vevey

Postby vevey » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:15 pm

tell me your story please? where were you originally from? how were you checked inside out before allowed into the country? how long time needed for the checks do you still think make sense? Would like to see something usefull posted by you? Our applications were submitted together online. Quick approval of mine did not mean much if my family's was being held. Family is alway my top priority. It is where I was talking about the consideration.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:26 pm

vevey wrote:tell me your story please? where were you originally from? how were you checked inside out before allowed into the country? how long time needed for the checks do you still think make sense? Would like to see something usefull posted by you? Our applications were submitted together online. Quick approval of mine did not mean much if my family's was being held. Family is alway my top priority. It is where I was talking about the consideration.

I asked where your wife was originally from because this may have an impact on why the application is taking so long, if she's an Iraqi citizen for example they'll want to spend more time vetting her than they would an American citizen. It may not be right, it may appear to be racist to you, but you're not in Kansas now Dorothy. The government here has no oligation to be 'considerate' to you, if everything is not to your liking then you don't come, no skin off their nose, you're not 'special'.

You sound quite whiney to me, I'm not sure Singapore would be for you, it would grind you down in a week

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: P1 approved in one day, but DP still pending after 3.5 w

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 12 May 2011 12:56 pm

vevey wrote:I called MOM and an officer told me it was randomly selected and going through the vetting process and would take about two months. She even suggested that we withdraw and re-sub the app when I asked advice for expediting the app. Mom's online messege indicates that 80% of the DP app. got approved in one week. It seems like I was welcomed, but not my wife.:(

Who exactly told you that it is under vetting? They usually dont disclose these details?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 May 2011 3:27 pm

vevey wrote:tell me your story please? where were you originally from? how were you checked inside out before allowed into the country? how long time needed for the checks do you still think make sense? Would like to see something usefull posted by you? Our applications were submitted together online. Quick approval of mine did not mean much if my family's was being held. Family is alway my top priority. It is where I was talking about the consideration.

Each application is justified on it's own merit and on the country of origin. e.g., where the passport is from. You wife is not a American. You still have not indicated where she is originally from. The fact that you two are married has absolutely no relevance on their vetting. How long did it take to get your wife's PR in the US? I'm assuming she got it based on your marriage and not on her own merits. You really need to get the chip off your shoulder. I agree with the other poster, from the way you are going at the moment, you are not going to like this country at all. :-|

vevey

Postby vevey » Fri, 13 May 2011 11:14 am

Hi,
I just simply wanted to share my DP experience with others and hoped if other expats could share with me if in the similiar situation. I was already nicely and professionally told by the MOM officer that the case was RANDOMLY selected to go through the vetting process. It will take up to 2 months to process. There is no doubt my wife and I will come to Singapore in June and have a wonderful time there for a couple of years.

See what I got from you:
1. You're coming to their country it only makes sense they do all the checks before they allow you in
2. Each application is justified on it's own merit and on the country of origin. e.g., where the passport is from.
-- Please save and copy/paste the above next time anyone asks questions about any pending applications

3. You sound quite whiney to me, I'm not sure Singapore would be for you, it would grind you down in a week
. The government here has no oligation to be 'considerate' to you, if everything is not to your liking then you don't come, no skin off their nose, you're not 'special'
-- You are really someone. The officer from MOM did not tell me this. She was just so nice and patient. She even gave me advice how to expedite the application

4. How long did it take to get your wife's PR in the US? I'm assuming she got it based on your marriage and not on her own merits.
-- Is it relavent any all? Please check what's required in the DP application.

5. I agree with the other poster, from the way you are going at the moment, you are not going to like this country at all.
-- for any country, I will have likes and dislikes. I can not be disliking a country at all.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 May 2011 11:54 am

And you obviously believed a Civil Servant on the phone because she read you a script that they are required to read so they don't have to answer any further questions? Like I said, you still haven't provided us with enough data. At least the voice on the other end of the phone was able to see what nationality your wife was and therefore able to read the appropriate script to you. Guess you are going to just have to wait, aren't you. If you are not forthcoming, it's hard for us to be forthcoming as well without the data. :roll:

vevey

Postby vevey » Mon, 16 May 2011 12:41 pm

Received the in-principal approval letter for DP just now. Got the email from my company's agent. It took exactly 1 mon.

Thank you