Is it OK to BBQ on your balcony?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 May 2011 7:36 pm

nburge wrote:I definitely don't have the "No U turn syndrome" - retarded rules must be broken! ;)

I personally don't mind the smell of a BBQ, and I don't much care about the smoke wafting around, but I do understand that some people have a big problem with it (just like some have a big thing about noise late at night etc etc). I just happen to be pretty tolerant of others, and realise life's too short to get wound up. That said - the reason for this was to get others' experience so I don't end up getting chucked out on my ear.
You don't mind so you do not need to be tolerant. I do mind and still allow it so IMHO me is the tolerant guy here. People can have small children, asthma, many other reasons and dare to say majority does not like to have smoke inside their flats so at the and of the day it come to a tidbit of imagination and consideration to the others. But you did the right thing so let say this is a general remark :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 7:47 pm

x9200 wrote:
nburge wrote:I definitely don't have the "No U turn syndrome" - retarded rules must be broken! ;)

I personally don't mind the smell of a BBQ, and I don't much care about the smoke wafting around, but I do understand that some people have a big problem with it (just like some have a big thing about noise late at night etc etc). I just happen to be pretty tolerant of others, and realise life's too short to get wound up. That said - the reason for this was to get others' experience so I don't end up getting chucked out on my ear.
You don't mind so you do not need to be tolerant. I do mind and still allow it so IMHO me is the tolerant guy here. People can have small children, asthma, many other reasons and dare to say majority does not like to have smoke inside their flats so at the and of the day it come to a tidbit of imagination and consideration to the others. But you did the right thing so let say this is a general remark :)
To be honest most SGn neighbours I have had couldn't give the slightest toss about the welfare of their neighbours. So I don't see why FT should overly concern themselves with such niceties.

It is not at all clear that any rules would be broken by BBQing on the terrace anyway...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 May 2011 7:56 pm

JR8, you are right but I just care not to be a pest to other people if they do not give me a reason. It is less about rules.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 8:02 pm

x9200 wrote:JR8, you are right but I just care not to be a pest to other people if they do not give me a reason. It is less about rules.
No I agree with you completely. And that is why I suggested being discreet, as the OP suggested he intended to be.

p.s. Tell you what I could do with right now, a butterflied leg of lamb, stuck with garlic, rubbed in olive oil and cooked over charcoal!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 May 2011 8:57 pm

Ugrh. You are a monster JR8. Didn't have time to do any shopping for last few days - fridge almost empty. I am trying right now to substitute with gin and tonic. Works pretty well I must say :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Fri, 13 May 2011 9:02 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:JR8, you are right but I just care not to be a pest to other people if they do not give me a reason. It is less about rules.
No I agree with you completely. And that is why I suggested being discreet, as the OP suggested he intended to be.

p.s. Tell you what I could do with right now, a butterflied leg of lamb, stuck with garlic, rubbed in olive oil and cooked over charcoal!
Ha ha ha!! Thanks Delia for getting my taste buds watering. I'll have to settle for a glass of wine and a few marlboro lights......

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 May 2011 9:04 pm

x9200 wrote:Ugrh. You are a monster JR8. Didn't have time to do any shopping for last few days - fridge almost empty. I am trying right now to substitute with gin and tonic. Works pretty well I must say :)
Boy, that nice home-cooked steak I had for dinner sure was a winner. Nothing like a nicely cooked slab of meat for a mouth-watering meal... :twisted:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 9:19 pm

x9200 wrote:Ugrh. You are a monster JR8. Didn't have time to do any shopping for last few days - fridge almost empty. I am trying right now to substitute with gin and tonic. Works pretty well I must say :)
Ah G&T, that is my absolute favorite poison... (esp how my dad mixes them with Plymouth Gin :) ) no kidding.

Simple recipe. Get a leg joint of lamb. Trim off excess fat, if it is bone-in then fillet it taking out the bone so you have a square of meat about 15"*12" and 3/4" thick. Spike all over with a paring knife and stick fat slivers of garlic into these holes. Rub with olive oil, chopped rosemary and lemon juice. Pierce across with kebab or heavy satay swekers so the fillet will stay flat (like a spatch-cocked chicken) .... about 5-7 mins each side on a hot charcoal BBQ.

p.s. I am literally going to go out now and buy a BBQ to stoke up on my balcony tonight...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 May 2011 9:25 pm

That's a bit too much. I am going to have tomorrow a nice raclette grill BBQ on our balcony!

nburge
Regular
Regular

Post by nburge » Fri, 13 May 2011 9:41 pm

Off to QB for me to load up on the meat then! ;) cheers gang!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 May 2011 10:59 pm

x9200 wrote:That's a bit too much. I am going to have tomorrow a nice raclette grill BBQ on our balcony!
Ooh raclette... yum! Though like pizza it goes straight on your hips :)

Well, I got a BBQ and schlepped it all the way home, got charcoal, got firelighters, got oven ready crusty rolls. The only thing I couldn't get was a leg of lamb (or any lamb come for that matter!). So to run it in tonight it's going to be hot smoked chicken legs with trimmings and crusty rolls...

p.s. Managed to get it past the obersturmbannführer building manager too which was a blessing.

Edit to add:
Rick Stein shows simply how BBQing the lamb joint works...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evvoeqVy ... B510B51D20

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2011 12:45 am

Imagine my surprise to find StrongEagle's guide to BBQing on YouTube!! :)
BBQ Pit Boys Old-Time ...: Barbecue Chicken Legs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUBQp-iI ... ure=fvwrel

Off to cook some chook!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2011 1:22 am

Trying it Asian style tonight.

Marinated the legs in garlic ginger soy and a little sesame oil. Appreciate I could use some acid in there but I don't have any, so!

Ok, let's go and check those coals...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2011 1:42 am

Jeez the thing went up like Chernobyl, just not as controlled as that.

Within 2 minutes I had some neighbour out back yabbering away from somewhere about it. But you know what they say about the Germans, they're incredibly intolerant of anybody's behavior but their own, so sod them I say.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2011 3:12 am

Even if they say it is wrong.... we needn't tell...