Singapore Expats Forum

Parents in law visiting

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
richie303
Chatter
Chatter

Parents in law visiting

Postby richie303 » Wed, 11 May 2011 9:13 am

Hi,

My wifes parents are visiting us in Singapore later in the year and they want to come for 2 months (eeek) so I have been looking at the options for what they can do.

I have come up with 3 possibilities and just wanted to check up on these and see what everyone thought is best and most reliable.

Our situation is as follows. I am PEP with no DPs under me, my wife is EP (P2) with my kids as DPs we have not applied for PR and intend on staying EP/PEP for the period we are looking at.

Firstly, STVP extension - I believe that they can apply for an extension when they get here. Is this feasible? can we act as local sponsor with PEP/EP?

Second, LTVP - 5 years? Seems a bit excessive? Is it worthwhile? can they re-enter on it?

Third, (and maybe a little dodgy) I take them away during their stay here to MY and IN for a few day trips and they get a new visa upon re-entry. I will be playing golf with my FIL anyway, so this is no issue, and my MIL will want to go to Bintan for spa treatments etc I imagine! So this would be easy.

I am interested if anyone has taken these three routes and found any challenges?

Cheers

Richie.
Richie - East Coast Superbabe...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Parents in law visiting

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 11 May 2011 10:08 am

richie303 wrote:Hi,

My wifes parents are visiting us in Singapore later in the year and they want to come for 2 months (eeek) so I have been looking at the options for what they can do.

I have come up with 3 possibilities and just wanted to check up on these and see what everyone thought is best and most reliable.

Our situation is as follows. I am PEP with no DPs under me, my wife is EP (P2) with my kids as DPs we have not applied for PR and intend on staying EP/PEP for the period we are looking at.

Firstly, STVP extension - I believe that they can apply for an extension when they get here. Is this feasible? can we act as local sponsor with PEP/EP?

No , not feasible as sponsor means local or SPR, You are NOT. certain countries are give 90 days SVP. If they are given 30 days you can E-extend it on ICA website

Second, LTVP - 5 years? Seems a bit excessive? Is it worthwhile? can they re-enter on it?

Not possible as you are not P1. Are you sure PEP is able to apply for LTVP for MIL and FIL ? I am not aware of this.

Third, (and maybe a little dodgy) I take them away during their stay here to MY and IN for a few day trips and they get a new visa upon re-entry. I will be playing golf with my FIL anyway, so this is no issue, and my MIL will want to go to Bintan for spa treatments etc I imagine! So this would be easy.

You can do that too. Go on a longer trip at least 5 days will be best

I am interested if anyone has taken these three routes and found any challenges?

Cheers

Richie.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Wed, 11 May 2011 12:37 pm

Where are you from? If UK, US, Western Europe etc... then option 3 will likely be no problem at all. My parents came here and were stamped for 30 days, stayed 2 weeks, went off to Phuket for a week and were stamped with another 30 days on return (although they left a few days later anyway).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 11 May 2011 3:19 pm

If I had in-laws coming from Eur/US/AusNZ etc to stay with us in SG for two months I'd strongly suggest that they use SG as a travel hub. I mean if both you and your wife are working what are they going to do all day?

Anyway the best routes to a 2 month stay have been mentioned. Get 30 days on entry and e-extend, or they can do a side-trip or two (or more!), and get fresh 30 days on re-entry.

Actually come to think of it why don't they just write 60 (or how ever many days stay) on their arrival card, as long as they are from a 'respected' country they might just well get 90 day SVPs. Then if not the above two options are your fall-back.

p.s. Note that some people get 90 SVPs on entry (I've had a few, without asking), but I don't know the basis of how they choose to issue them.

rohan19

Postby rohan19 » Wed, 11 May 2011 4:34 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
richie303 wrote:Hi,

No , not feasible as sponsor means local or SPR, You are NOT. certain countries are give 90 days SVP. If they are given 30 days you can E-extend it on ICA website

Not possible as you are not P1. Are you sure PEP is able to apply for LTVP for MIL and FIL ? I am not aware of this.

You can do that too. Go on a longer trip at least 5 days will be best

Cheers

Richie.

MS suggest you look up MOM on the LTVP.

As per them,
Long-Term Visit Pass
P Pass holders can also apply for a Long-Term Visit Pass for their:

•Common-law Spouse
•Unmarried daughters above 21 years old
•Handicapped children above 21 years old
•Step-children under 21 years old
•Parents and parents-in-law

Cat of P Pass is irrelevant.
So yes, if you are okay with your PsIL visiting multiple times, your wife can apply for an LTVP for them

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 12 May 2011 4:05 am

Yup , you are right on this and it has to signed by the employer
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Postby ausinsg » Thu, 12 May 2011 5:33 am

With PEP you inherit the entitlements of whichever P class EP you held immediately prior to obtaining the PEP. So EP P1 would give a PEP with DP and LTSVP entitlements the same as their EP P1 previously had.

I am not sure what happens for someone who applies for a PEP from overseas and has not held a P class EP. I guess it would be treated as a P1 given the salary you need for remote application. However that is just a guess.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 12 May 2011 5:52 am

Can the in-laws get 90 day SVPs?

If so, no more jibber-jabber required.

rohan19

Postby rohan19 » Thu, 12 May 2011 6:18 am

JR8 wrote:Can the in-laws get 90 day SVPs?

If so, no more jibber-jabber required.

who knows ?
Best to contact Singapore embassy in original country or call ICA if in Singapore.
Right now, all of us are just peeing against the wind, we know nothing about the nationality of the OP, and since he seems to have disappeared, who cares ?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 12 May 2011 6:34 am

rohan19 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Right now, all of us are just peeing against the wind, we know nothing about the nationality of the OP, and since he seems to have disappeared, who cares ?

You might be peeing on your shoes but I'd put my chips on the OP being British, hence my comments re: 90 day SVPs.