Singapore Expats Forum

PEP Unusual Scenario

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kironsc

PEP Unusual Scenario

Postby kironsc » Tue, 10 May 2011 6:41 am

Dear all,
my fiancee and I are each looking to apply for a PEP to move out to Singapore. We were there a couple of weeks ago to sound out some jobs and got on reasonably well, me in banking and her in teaching.
We both qualify for the salary criteria but by a very small margin due to Sterling to Sing Dollar exchange rate.
I have an additional issue in that I used to be a SPR many years ago but I relinquished it in 1994 aged 16 to move back to UK.
My questions are these:
1) Will my background hinder my PEP application?
2) If the currency exchange rates dip slightly and our salary goes under the $7k threshold, will this affect our application?
3) If sucessful, will the PEP allow my fiancee to work as a substitute teacher until a full time position becomes available (as long as she earns $30k per year).

Many thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 May 2011 6:57 am

It probably won't hinder you IF you exited Singapore using all the right protocol for potential NS men. HOWEVER, if you just up and left without following protocol, you could very well be picked up as a NS man deserter at the worst and probably be denied/refused ANY type of residency visa. However, give it a try. Never know.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PEP Unusual Scenario

Postby Saint » Tue, 10 May 2011 9:23 am

kironsc wrote:2) If the currency exchange rates dip slightly and our salary goes under the $7k threshold, will this affect our application?

What we are hearing is they aren't handing out PEPs at the moment, the main reason being the P1 salary threshold is going up to $8k in July therefore this will be the new threshold for overseas applicants like the 2 of you.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 10 May 2011 11:32 am

If you are a 1st gen PR, then you seem to be a PR abuser. Under the current circumstances, its exactly people like you who are hated here, by the locals and by the gahmen. I would be really surprised if you get the PEP.

If you are a 2nd gen PR and have completed your NS, then your chances are bright, if not the fogged it.

EDIT: I just read that you relinquished your PR at the age of 16 so you must be a 2nd gen PR who has runaway from NS. So fogged it.

kironsc

Postby kironsc » Tue, 10 May 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks for all your replies. Although Revhappy's was not particularly constructive....I don't necessarily believe that somebody like me would be "hated" if I was adding to the Singapore economy having worked hard to achieve all that I have in my career so far and bringing that expertise to the country.
Its hard to argue when you're 16 years old and your parents tell you to give up your PR for all the best intentions.
Anyway, I don't want to get into a slanging match with anybody. I just want to find a way to get back to Singapore.
In response to other comments: Yes I believe I did give up the PR through the proper channels so hopefully that will count for something. I also hope that 17 years is enough time to show that I didn't just give up my PR to avoid NS. I was only a PR for a very short time if my memory serves, maybe not even a year and that I was only made PR because my parents were PR at that time as well.
I suppose the best way to find out if its a problem is to actually apply for the PEP and see how we get on.
If I am rejected, do I have the opportunity to appeal and does anybody know how the appeal process works?

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 10 May 2011 9:18 pm

kironsc wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Although Revhappy's was not particularly constructive....I don't necessarily believe that somebody like me would be "hated" if I was adding to the Singapore economy having worked hard to achieve all that I have in my career so far and bringing that expertise to the country.
Its hard to argue when you're 16 years old and your parents tell you to give up your PR for all the best intentions.
Anyway, I don't want to get into a slanging match with anybody. I just want to find a way to get back to Singapore.
In response to other comments: Yes I believe I did give up the PR through the proper channels so hopefully that will count for something. I also hope that 17 years is enough time to show that I didn't just give up my PR to avoid NS. I was only a PR for a very short time if my memory serves, maybe not even a year and that I was only made PR because my parents were PR at that time as well.
I suppose the best way to find out if its a problem is to actually apply for the PEP and see how we get on.
If I am rejected, do I have the opportunity to appeal and does anybody know how the appeal process works?

At the time of application itself you would have provided all the documentation that you would have. So, if in case it is rejected, your chances would be slim as you dont have any other additional documents /factors based on which you can appeal.

An Appeal is usually useful only if you had something that you had missed to submit in the original application or if you have significant change in salary/educational qualifications/experience when compared to the time when your application was made.

Good Luck !

Why not get a job, be on EP for 1-2 years and then take PEP?

kironsc

Postby kironsc » Tue, 10 May 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks Flyer.
I would love to get a job arranged before I go out there but alas I fear that might be hard to achieve. You know what its like with employers, I believe job hunting is best done when you are in the location so you can meet and interview with people. Job hunting from so far away is hard.
Thus I am thinking of the PEP route (or at worst the EPEC route). So at least I can be in the country and job hunting.
Its a chicken and egg situation.
But the chicken might be dead if my past PR comes back to haunt me with whatever option I choose.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 May 2011 10:02 pm

If you apply for a PEP the very FIRST question they ask is......

Wait for it.........

PART 1A – PARTICULARS OF PEP APPLICANT
Please provide the FIN if the applicant had ever
i. applied for or worked in Singapore on an Employment Pass
ii. studied in Singapore on a Student’s Pass
iii. stayed in Singapore on a Dependant’s Pass/Long-Term Visit Pass

So, if you did a runner to evade NS as a 2nd Gen PR and you don't provide it, and are found out later to have lied on your application, then, you will, in all probability, be incarcerated for a period of time, fined and then unceremoniously ejected from the country. Of course, depending on your age, they might make you do your NS as well before ejecting you from the country.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Tue, 10 May 2011 10:22 pm

kironsc wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Although Revhappy's was not particularly constructive....I don't necessarily believe that somebody like me would be "hated" if I was adding to the Singapore economy having worked hard to achieve all that I have in my career so far and bringing that expertise to the country.

I think you don't understand the meaning of constructive. Surely english is not your forte. Constructive doesn't mean pleasant, sugar coated replies. If you think my reply was biased against you because you evaded NS(doesn't matter if your parents took the decision or you, the fact remains that you were supposed to do NS and you didn't) then read this fine print.

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151

NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS. Renouncing or losing one's PR status without serving or completing full-time NS would have an adverse impact on any immediate or future applications to work or study in Singapore, or for Singapore citizenship or PR status.

The fact that you gave up your PR using proper channels only means that you wont be arrested on stepping into SG. :-|

kironsc

UPDATE

Postby kironsc » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 7:37 pm

Dear all,
I thought it would be a benefit to update you on my situation. After 6 weeks of patiently waiting my PEP was approved! Given that I had steeled myself for the worst, this result has left me feeling over the moon. It is made even sweeter due to some of the negative comments received on here.
Although, for the most part, the advice provided in these forums is very useful, the only thing that I would say to people who are thinking about applying is do it and see. With all the best will in the world, not everybody that gives advice on here knows what the MOM is going to decide on individual cases. In addition, in my dealings with the MOM I found them to be helpful, polite and very professional so don't be scared of corresponding with them.
At the end of the day, if you do not get whatever visa/pass you apply for then you simply did not qualify for it.
My situation is slightly soured by the fact that my fiancee did not get her PEP approved. We are appealing that but given the fact that she can get an LTVP as my common law spouse and then a DP when we are married (Apr 2012) then I'm not overly concerned.
Obviously this is merely the first step on a long road, just have to get a job sorted now!! But the first hurdle has been jumped!
All the best

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 9:23 pm

You have actually reinforced what we have been saying all along. Apply anyway, but be prepared for the worst. Many a time I have pointed out that all we can give you are opinions based on anecdotal evidence and the MOM holds their card tightly to their collective chests. But, we don't try to blow smoke up people bums as too many are going to get burned and that looks even worse. We don't mind being wrong when you beat the odds! We do appreciate you coming back to give us more evidence that all is not lost though!

Congrats, we've had a couple of pieces of good news in the past couple of days. A light at the end of the tunnel? One can only hope.

sms

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: UPDATE

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 4:53 am

kironsc wrote:Dear all,
I thought it would be a benefit to update you on my situation. After 6 weeks of patiently waiting my PEP was approved! Given that I had steeled myself for the worst, this result has left me feeling over the moon. It is made even sweeter due to some of the negative comments received on here.
Although, for the most part, the advice provided in these forums is very useful, the only thing that I would say to people who are thinking about applying is do it and see. With all the best will in the world, not everybody that gives advice on here knows what the MOM is going to decide on individual cases. In addition, in my dealings with the MOM I found them to be helpful, polite and very professional so don't be scared of corresponding with them.
At the end of the day, if you do not get whatever visa/pass you apply for then you simply did not qualify for it.
My situation is slightly soured by the fact that my fiancee did not get her PEP approved. We are appealing that but given the fact that she can get an LTVP as my common law spouse and then a DP when we are married (Apr 2012) then I'm not overly concerned.
Obviously this is merely the first step on a long road, just have to get a job sorted now!! But the first hurdle has been jumped!
All the best

Congratulation. I have a few ques for you for my personal knowledge and understanding.
In UK what post are you holding in the banking sector
You reported $7K income per month to MOM or more based on your payslip
Did you include your parents names as sponsor or next kin in your PEP application(Not sure if this question is included in the application)
You were ex PR in SG , may I know when did your parent apply and when did you relinquished it ?
Were you schooling here prior to PR approval ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:15 pm

Congrats Kiron,

Can you please advice what did you input for

Basic Monthly Salary: S$
Fixed Monthly Salary: S$
Gross Annual Salary: S$

on the application.

I am confused beacuse of the high tax rate where I am now. My gross is above the required limit but when it comes to the net is way below the required.

Thanks for the info.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 2:16 pm

Ra5AU,

You are just wasting our time, you realize that don't you? You have already applied for a PEP and was rejected out of hand as undesirable. You applied for an EPEC and was found wanting.

If you want to be closer to your parents, I would suggest you return to India as it isn't going to happen here unless you can find an employer to sponsor your EP application. Even then, with the two rejections already in your file (which will stay with you forever), the odds are that the government will see through the ruse especially as you are already in Australia and not India. It's harder now than it was when you applied the first time.

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Tue, 19 Jul 2011 4:00 pm

Hi SMS,

Just wanted to understand reason for rejection (if any other than my race). But as you said no point in wasting time.

I am going to India next week for 6 months trail. Hopefully I will have clarity over there.

Saint, SMS, MS, JR8, SF…………thanks for the valuable info over the last 6 months. Keep up the good work guys.