Singapore Expats Forum

employment termination before start date

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
antonio_eggb

employment termination before start date

Postby antonio_eggb » Mon, 09 May 2011 7:12 pm

Hi,

Employment contract signed. EP processed/approved. Employer keep postponing start date and its been more then a month. Now the employer wants to terminate contract.

Wasted time and money as well as the ability apply for other employment during the waiting period. I feel so cheated!

Am I entitled to any termination salary i.e. 1 month termination salary as per employment contract? or anything at all? Is there any instance I can make official complain about the employer i.e. MOM?

Do I have any rights? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: employment termination before start date

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 09 May 2011 8:52 pm

antonio_eggb wrote:Hi,

Employment contract signed. EP processed/approved. Employer keep postponing start date and its been more then a month. Now the employer wants to terminate contract.

Wasted time and money as well as the ability apply for other employment during the waiting period. I feel so cheated!

Am I entitled to any termination salary i.e. 1 month termination salary as per employment contract? or anything at all? Is there any instance I can make official complain about the employer i.e. MOM?

Do I have any rights? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

It is based on the notice period and the termination policy that is mentioned on the employment contract.

No, you have agreed to the contract (Employment Letter) and signed it and so I think you cannot complain.

Also would like to know if your EP was just approved or also issued? There is a difference between the two statuses

antonio_eggb

Postby antonio_eggb » Tue, 10 May 2011 1:42 am

Thanks for your reply.

I have the physical pass it was given to me by MOM 4 days after I signed the contract.

As per employment agreement the termination is 1 month from either party. What I don't know is when does the employment act gets activated i.e. actual start date or commencement date in the agreement. Frankly if I am not wanted then I am not wanted and I am ok with that. Loosing time and money is what ticks me off!

I plan to raise the issue with the employer lets see what they say.