Singapore Expats Forum

PR renewal ...HELP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
faith16
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 05 May 2011
Location: sg

PR renewal ...HELP

Postby faith16 » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:06 pm

Hi, I got my PR in 2005 because of my husband working here. It is due for renewal soon and we had divorced recently. My ex husband PR has been renewed recently. Will mine be auto renew also? Or I need to apply myself using my merit and employment record? I only started working half a year ago earning 2k/mth. Wil this be easy? HELP

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed, 28 Feb 2007
Location: London

Re: PR renewal ...HELP

Postby FaeLLe » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:14 pm

faith16 wrote:Hi, I got my PR in 2005 because of my husband working here. It is due for renewal soon and we had divorced recently. My ex husband PR has been renewed recently. Will mine be auto renew also? Or I need to apply myself using my merit and employment record? I only started working half a year ago earning 2k/mth. Wil this be easy? HELP


You have two options,

1) Try to renew Re-entry permit (REP) with a letter and submitting your past two years Income tax returns

2) Let your REP expire, do not leave singapore till you finish 3 years of working. Submit your 3 years income tax returns at the end of filing of third year IT and then apply to renew your REP

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR renewal ...HELP

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 May 2011 2:47 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
faith16 wrote:Hi, I got my PR in 2005 because of my husband working here. It is due for renewal soon and we had divorced recently. My ex husband PR has been renewed recently. Will mine be auto renew also? Or I need to apply myself using my merit and employment record? I only started working half a year ago earning 2k/mth. Wil this be easy? HELP


You have two options,

1) Try to renew Re-entry permit (REP) with a letter and submitting your past two years Income tax returns

This is good, but don't do it online, but ICA and speak to an officer so you can explain why you don't have three years tax records, but the fact that you HAVE gained employment since the divorce but don't have three years yet. Be sure to show them continuity by also obtaining a letter/current pay voucher indicating the fact that you are still gainfully employed.


2) Let your REP expire, do not leave singapore till you finish 3 years of working. Submit your 3 years income tax returns at the end of filing of third year IT and then apply to renew your REP

This also works but leaves you open to the vagaries of external family matters (weddings/funerals, other unplanned events) that could cause you to have to leave Singapore on short notice due to the emergency. As noted elsewhere in these threads, I actually did that for 15 months back around 2005 before my last REP renewal.


sms

faith16
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 05 May 2011
Location: sg

Postby faith16 » Thu, 05 May 2011 7:39 pm

What if my ex write to ICA to cancel my PR, telling them he is not going to sponsor me as mine currently is a Dependant PR. Somemore, I have no professional skills or qualification....Many thanks for your reply

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 May 2011 10:10 pm

Do you have any children? Male children? If so, still a good possibility if you have custody of a male child.

hoegaarden
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2011

Postby hoegaarden » Tue, 17 May 2011 11:42 pm

I have almost the same situation with faith16. Difference is I am employed since I arrived in Singapore.

My annulment is currently in-process and husband don't intend to renew his REP anymore which will expire on April, 2012. He actually wants to cancel his PR since last year but can't do so because I refused.

The officer advised that once we obtained the annulment document, they will split our PR. My problem is annulment has no result yet. I am afraid that the annulment will not be over until next year...

My question is.. can I renew my PR ahead of my husband (he's the primary applicant)? Let's say I renew sometime January, 2012.

Thanks for all the responses in advance.

ancientmariner
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed, 21 Jul 2010
Location: Sailing

Postby ancientmariner » Wed, 18 May 2011 1:00 am

hoegaarden wrote:

The officer advised that once we obtained the annulment document, they will split our PR. My problem is annulment has no result yet. I am afraid that the annulment will not be over until next year...

My question is.. can I renew my PR ahead of my husband (he's the primary applicant)? Let's say I renew sometime January, 2012.

Thanks for all the responses in advance.


Once your PR has been split up from your husband, you will be treated as an individual holder, thus should be able to renew only NOT EARLIER than 3 months of your REP expiry date. However, suggest you wait for advice from other regulars from this board.
Nobody knows about future!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 18 May 2011 5:20 am

If your annulment cannot be completed before your expiry. Do not leave the country at all, stay in SG until your annulment is completed. Your REP will expires but your PR does not. As long as you stay put without leaving SG , you will be alright. Once everything is done and dusted then apply for your REP. The only catch is if there is an emergency matters overseas that you may have to attend, this will not be possible.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

hoegaarden
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2011

Postby hoegaarden » Wed, 18 May 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks Mad Scientist and ancientmariner for the reply.

faith16
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 05 May 2011
Location: sg

Postby faith16 » Fri, 20 May 2011 9:46 am

Hi,

My checking with the immigration was that once you obtained your PR (whether is a dependent PR or not), it is no longer depends on the main applicant. So even if he cancel his PR, it doesn't effect you. However, you may have problem to get the re-entry permit, like in my case. You can give a call to confirm this. Hope this helps

hoegaarden
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2011

Postby hoegaarden » Fri, 20 May 2011 2:57 pm

faith16 wrote:Hi,

My checking with the immigration was that once you obtained your PR (whether is a dependent PR or not), it is no longer depends on the main applicant. So even if he cancel his PR, it doesn't effect you. However, you may have problem to get the re-entry permit, like in my case. You can give a call to confirm this. Hope this helps


Hi Faith,

We are not yet annulled (equivalent to divorce in Singapore), so our PR are still tied, that is according to the ICA officer when I went there way back June, 2010. Once we have the annulment paper then that's the time ICA will split our PR and we're on our own.

In my case, I do not have any issue with the length of employment and qualification.

Can you please keep us posted on the result of your re-entry permit?

Thanks.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 20 May 2011 3:33 pm

faith16 wrote:Hi,

My checking with the immigration was that once you obtained your PR (whether is a dependent PR or not), it is no longer depends on the main applicant. So even if he cancel his PR, it doesn't effect you. However, you may have problem to get the re-entry permit, like in my case. You can give a call to confirm this. Hope this helps


Precisely. !!! Your PR does not expire only your REP status. If you need to stay here and worried about your REP expires. Let it run out of date and stay put until you settled all your things then reapply REP. The only issue is if there is a major events overseas that needs your attention , you are not able to go as you will not have a valid REP to reenter.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

hoegaarden
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2011

Postby hoegaarden » Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:16 pm

My REP expired yesterday, renewal result is "Pending"... I've exchanged e-mails with ICA officer about my case since January, 2 options for me to get my REP approved:

1. Bring along my estranged husband together with his recently approved REP/IC to ICA, and agree to sponsor my REP application -- not an option, we were not in speaking term for more than 2 years

2. Submit annulment papers -- my estranged husband discontinued the process of our annulment (thats almost in final stage) for I-dont-know-what reason

As ICA officer advise and the regulars here, I will remain as PR as long as I do not leave the country. I have to figure out something, but for now I have to stay put in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:02 am

You need a lawyer. But I expect you already know that.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 13 Apr 2012 7:04 pm

hoegaarden wrote:My REP expired yesterday, renewal result is "Pending"... I've exchanged e-mails with ICA officer about my case since January, 2 options for me to get my REP approved:

1. Bring along my estranged husband together with his recently approved REP/IC to ICA, and agree to sponsor my REP application -- not an option, we were not in speaking term for more than 2 years

2. Submit annulment papers -- my estranged husband discontinued the process of our annulment (thats almost in final stage) for I-dont-know-what reason

As ICA officer advise and the regulars here, I will remain as PR as long as I do not leave the country. I have to figure out something, but for now I have to stay put in Singapore.


Stay put and get a job.
Once you start working and can proof that you are here for good and paying tax, it will be much easier
Annulment papers goes thru lawyers and you should have a copy of it.
If PR renewal rejected show proofs of this proceeding before he backed out to ICA
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests