Singapore Expats Forum

EP to PEP to PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Shola Ultimate

EP to PEP to PR

Postby Shola Ultimate » Wed, 04 May 2011 2:10 pm

Hello guys,
I was looking for a string to see if my questions are already answered but didnt find a match.

I would like to seek your opinion on applying PR alongwith my wife after GE.

Been in Singapore since mid-2009 and got married last year and brought my wife over. Switched jobs earlier this year after getting a PEP. Earlier I had a P1.
I am very interested in making SG home but recent spate of events and public outcry has made me nervous about my chances. I am Engineer with a Masters and employed at Senior level position in a MNC.

regards

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: EP to PEP to PR

Postby JayCee » Wed, 04 May 2011 2:40 pm

Shola Ultimate wrote:Hello guys,
I was looking for a string to see if my questions are already answered but didnt find a match.

What question are you asking? I don't see one.

And you must be kidding if you're saying you weren't able to find any threads talking about applying for PR, there are literally thousands of them on this board

Shola Ultimate

Postby Shola Ultimate » Wed, 04 May 2011 3:36 pm

I wanted to know if its a good time to apply for PR? ie. immediately after GE. heard there is going tobe a CAP on
There are many threads on PR but nothing that shows success or failure matching my circumstances.
regards
NZ

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 May 2011 3:43 pm

Shola Ultimate wrote:I wanted to know if its a good time to apply for PR? ie. immediately after GE. heard there is going tobe a CAP on
There are many threads on PR but nothing that shows success or failure matching my circumstances.
regards

No thread can say a result based on your situation. Please note approval is on a case to case basis and not on similar cases.

Also if you and your partner have not been in SG for atleast 2 years your chances are slim.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Wed, 04 May 2011 3:50 pm

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Wed, 04 May 2011 4:15 pm

How long is a piece of string? No-one knows the answer and as has been mentioned in the various threads there are many theories, but no certainties.
There are things that help / hinder your application. The one thing you don't mention is your race. If you're Indian the odds are against you (although there are exceptions), but being Chinese is a bonus.

Take your chances, or wait out the time on your PEP and then apply (remember that your wife has more ability to do "part time work" on a PEP than on PR). It is the opinion of the members here that having boy-children is a plus. Have those while you're waiting and include them in your application. You can also contribute to CPF on PEP which will also look good on your application.

It may sound cynical, but that unfortunately is the way the cookie crumbles. SG has something that is in demand and they get to pick and choose!

Shola Ultimate

Postby Shola Ultimate » Wed, 04 May 2011 4:39 pm

I am from Pakistan. It will be 2 years in June.
NZ

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 7:18 pm

After this past weekends events, I'd be afraid to even tell where I'm from. At the moment, you nationality is not the flavour of the week. You can try, but frankly speaking until your marriage is two years old, I wouldn't even bother as I believe it would be a complete waste of time. However, having said that, I've seen stranger things happen here, so don't let my ramblings put you off.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 7:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:After this past weekends events, I'd be afraid to even tell where I'm from. At the moment, you nationality is not the flavour of the week. You can try, but frankly speaking until your marriage is two years old, I wouldn't even bother as I believe it would be a complete waste of time. However, having said that, I've seen stranger things happen here, so don't let my ramblings put you off.

I have a Pakistani colleague. He is a cool guy and the rest of us are all Indians in the team. We all get along well and don't really bring Pakistan and terrorism into our conversation, but it does come out sometimes when we speak stuff like cricket or india and somehow it gets linked to terrorism. But we understand his feelings so try not to bring the topic up. But today, my boss, who is a jerk, during our lunch suddenly asked loudly "Hey is there any new news about OBL?". Felt sorry for the Pakistani colleague, cuz its no fault of his that he gets embarrased everytime.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:08 pm

Rev,

So far, on this board anyway over the past 1.5 years, we've had a couple of Pakistanis on here and almost all of them had tales of woe. I'm not real hopeful for anybody at the moment but based on the little anecdotal evidence we've seen here so far, it doesn't bode well. Wouldn't you agree.

And yeah, the average Pakistani doesn't warrant the abuse that will be probably heaped on 'em now, but at the end of the day, they elect their leaders, good or bad, so if the government is corrupt, they only have themselves to blame. Same in your country, same in mine.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:25 pm

revhappy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:After this past weekends events, I'd be afraid to even tell where I'm from. At the moment, you nationality is not the flavour of the week. You can try, but frankly speaking until your marriage is two years old, I wouldn't even bother as I believe it would be a complete waste of time. However, having said that, I've seen stranger things happen here, so don't let my ramblings put you off.

I have a Pakistani colleague. He is a cool guy and the rest of us are all Indians in the team. We all get along well and don't really bring Pakistan and terrorism into our conversation, but it does come out sometimes when we speak stuff like cricket or india and somehow it gets linked to terrorism. But we understand his feelings so try not to bring the topic up. But today, my boss, who is a jerk, during our lunch suddenly asked loudly "Hey is there any new news about OBL?". Felt sorry for the Pakistani colleague, cuz its no fault of his that he gets embarrased everytime.

There was once a Indian and an Pakistani who lived next door to each other. The Indian owned a hen and each morning would look in his garden and pick up one of his hen's eggs for breakfast.

One day he looked into his garden and saw that the hen had laid an egg in the Pakistani's garden. He was about to go next door when he saw the Pakistani pick up the egg. The Indian ran up to the Pakistani and told him that the egg belonged to him because he owned the hen. The Pakistani disagreed because the egg was laid on his property.

They argued for a while until finally the Indian said, "In my family we normally solve disputes by the following actions: I kick you in the balls and time how long it takes you to get back up, then you kick me in the balls and time how long it takes for me to get up, who ever gets up quicker wins the egg."

The Pakistani agreed to this and so the Indian found his heaviest pair of boots and put them on, he took a few steps back, then ran toward the Pakistani and kicked as hard as he could in the balls. The Pakistani fell to the floor clutching his nuts howling in agony for 30 minutes.

Eventually the Pakistani stood up and said, "Now it's my turn to kick you."

The Indian said, "Keep the damn egg!"

ausinsg
Regular
Regular

Postby ausinsg » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:48 pm

I have had two expat friends get their PR recently; late last year and early this year. Both are Aussie; one chinese, the other sri lankan. Both are working for big MNCs here. They have also each been here around four years and in the P1 category, and both single males (one late 20s, the other mid 30s).

Not sure if anything can be surmised about why they received PR when others have failed, they are the only two exceptions to the trend which I know of.

Just thought I would add it to the pool of knowledge.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 11:46 pm

BillyB wrote:
revhappy wrote:

There was once a Indian and an Pakistani who lived next door to each other. The Indian owned a hen and each morning would look in his garden and pick up one of his hen's eggs for breakfast.

One day he looked into his garden and saw that the hen had laid an egg in the Pakistani's garden. He was about to go next door when he saw the Pakistani pick up the egg. The Indian ran up to the Pakistani and told him that the egg belonged to him because he owned the hen. The Pakistani disagreed because the egg was laid on his property.

They argued for a while until finally the Indian said, "In my family we normally solve disputes by the following actions: I kick you in the balls and time how long it takes you to get back up, then you kick me in the balls and time how long it takes for me to get up, who ever gets up quicker wins the egg."

The Pakistani agreed to this and so the Indian found his heaviest pair of boots and put them on, he took a few steps back, then ran toward the Pakistani and kicked as hard as he could in the balls. The Pakistani fell to the floor clutching his nuts howling in agony for 30 minutes.

Eventually the Pakistani stood up and said, "Now it's my turn to kick you."

The Indian said, "Keep the damn egg!"

Haha. Nice one :)