Singapore Expats Forum

EPEC Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ra5AU

EPEC Rejected

Postby Ra5AU » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:55 am

Hi,

I applied for EPEC Monday evening and I received a rejection email Tuesday evening in less than 24 hours.

“Thank you for your application of the EPEC – We have reviewed your application but regret to inform you that the application is not successful”
“Patientia est virtus”

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 May 2011 8:14 am

If the rejection is too fast then it may be because of you not meeting their basic criteria ?

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:03 am

As MOM website -

Eligibility
Foreigners who wish to apply for an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate must fulfill one of these requirements:

Possess selected university qualifications
Be a current or former holder of selected skilled migrant visas

I have both.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:38 am

It appears to make no sense on the face of it, especially having a rejection as quickly as that.

When I had problems in the application process with what was then the recently introduced EPEC scheme (1997?, from London) it was overseen by the government department called 'Contact Singapore'.

Maybe call or e-mail your local office and ask for advice. For example get a named person that you might discuss this with at MOM.
http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/contact/australia/

Back when I applied the new online EPEC process was really screwy. I went around in circles for several months with CS and MOM. In the end the head of CS in London personally intervened on my behalf.

Good luck.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:48 am

Ra5AU wrote:As MOM website -

Eligibility
Foreigners who wish to apply for an Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate must fulfill one of these requirements:

Possess selected university qualifications
Be a current or former holder of selected skilled migrant visas

I have both.

This is the generic criteria and there will be many other internal criteria's that would not be disclosed publicly that would be used for evaluation ?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:55 am

I remember reading your other thread about your PEP getting rejected and now your EPEC.

I think they dont want people anymore to try come here first and look for a job but rather find a job for yourself and get an employer to sponsor your EP.

BTW, From the way you write you are clearly not an Australian, you sound more like from the subcontinent. Can you let us know why so desperate to leave Australia?

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:15 am

Thanks JR8,

I will try that - I have details of local contact for Contact Singapore...

Rev - I am Indian living in AU for 14 years looking to move back home or closer to home. To be closer to my folks.

It is very frustrating with the rejections – I am ok if they look into my application and reject. My PEP was rejected in less than a week and now EPEC in less than day.

SF - rejection in less than 24 hours - in which working hours were only 8 hours - My guess is they didn't even bother to open my application.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:17 am

Ra5AU wrote:Thanks JR8,

Rev - I am Indian living in AU for 14 years looking to move back home or closer to home. To be closer to my folks.

It is very frustrating with the rejections – I am ok if they look into my application and reject. My PEP was rejected in less than a week and now EPEC in less than day.

SF - rejection in less than 24 hours - in which working hours were only 8 hours - My guess is they didn't even bother to open my application.

To be honest they review each application very carefully.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:26 am

Ra5AU wrote:Thanks JR8,

In Singapore, unlike Australia, the most popular way of recruitment is through employer sponsorship and thats quite easy. In Australia I understand the employers wont even touch you with a barge pole if you dont have a residential status there.

With your kind of experience it should be easy to get an IT job here. You just need to apply in the various job boards and employers will be happy to apply for EP for you.

I think EPEC is more like for freshers or people with very low experience and trying get a foot in the door.

For you PEP should have been the right way but unfortunately the political climate is not good right now.

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:35 am

Thanks Rev,

I am in Banking - to be precise in Corporate Banking not in IT.

I will keep trying in all possible avenues - I am in no hurry.

It is just frustrating not knowing the reasons – nothing else.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:50 am

revhappy wrote:I think EPEC is more like for freshers or people with very low experience and trying get a foot in the door.

<Splutter> :)

I'm not sure how having a skilled migrant visa from another country ties in with either freshers or those of very low experience.

I relied upon 3 previous SMVs to get my EPEC, and considered myself highly experienced in my particular field. I see EPEC as more of a way to come and check out the market first hand. I could understand if under the issue on racial quotas this might have changed since my time. And also your point about them maybe no longer favouring 'window-shoppers'.

I wonder if the criteria for application, as stated, have been changed. Or if they are as they originally were and the 'behind the scenes' criteria have been stepped up. hmmm.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 11:03 am

JR8 wrote:
revhappy wrote:I think EPEC is more like for freshers or people with very low experience and trying get a foot in the door.

I'm not sure how having a skilled migrant visa from another country ties in with either freshers or those of very low experience.

The reason I got that impression is because they have a list of universities for EPEC eligibility whereas there is no such list for the EPs and there is no minimum existing salary/experience criteria for EPEC while there is for the EPs which made me think its more for those with solid academics than those with experience.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 11:13 am

BTW, to the OP, Did you mention/submit your Australian Skilled migration Visa while applying for the EPEC? Maybe worth trying.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 11:25 am

revhappy wrote:
JR8 wrote:

The reason I got that impression is because they have a list of universities for EPEC eligibility whereas there is no such list for the EPs and there is no minimum existing salary/experience criteria for EPEC while there is for the EPs which made me think its more for those with solid academics than those with experience.

Yeah I see your point. They used to give guidance on what SMVs were considered acceptable to qualify. My impression was that if you're good enough to get an SMV from say the US, Japan, Oz etc then you're good enough for an EPEC. Kinda 'pre-screening already done via other developed countries!'.

Ra5AU

Postby Ra5AU » Wed, 04 May 2011 11:34 am

That is what is p..........off more,

I mentioned my double Master's Degree (from selected list), SMV and 10+ years of experience.

Well, all is well.......keep tryin........