Singapore Expats

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sun, 08 May 2011 2:32 pm

JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:
revhappy wrote:Sad, the current generation who are wanting a change haven't seen how bad and currupt some other gahmens can be.
My thoughts too. Not that it gives justification but it gives something missing here very much: a perspective.
How would they know if the current gubment is corrupt, who is going to tell them?

There is no opposition, to act as a check and balance.
There is no free media.
There is no concept of investigative journalism.
Countries that do have a strong opposition are not doing any better than Singapore. Take the countries in the region, for instance. Brunei is the only country thats as prosperous as SG and its run by a monarchy. So if these youngsters had the ability to think they wouldn't have to vote for a change just to see whether an alternative party will work or not.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 May 2011 2:40 pm

How do you define 'doing better'?

.... oh, old one [siesta time I think :)]

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Sun, 08 May 2011 2:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As a home owner in the newly lost GRC, Aljunied, I'll be letting you all know how things have changed in coming months. It will be interesting to watch the gradual decline in services in our estates as existing contracts with the town councils expire and have to be renegotiated for less money, e.g., less services as the new town councils will have their budgets sharply curtailed. We've been told that lift upgrading will continue because the utilities have already been rerouted, but actually lift construction, aside from surveyor marks hasn't actually started yet. Same with the entire precinct upgrade (7.5 m) of which I am on the original steering committee (I'm also on the Lift upgrading steering committee).
I was relieved to find out that due to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries my block has shifted from Aljunied to AMK GRC.

Though it is sad that the "Remaking Our Heartland" programme for Hougang, which included a mega mall and other developments, will surely be put on hold since the area now comes under the opposition.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sun, 08 May 2011 2:59 pm

JR8 wrote:How do you define 'doing better'?

Thats easy. Just have a look at the quality of life index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index

Singapore's Kiasu-ness is proof enough that they are doing better than most asian countries.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 08 May 2011 3:14 pm

revhappy wrote:
JR8 wrote:How do you define 'doing better'?

Thats easy. Just have a look at the quality of life index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality-of-life_index

Singapore's Kiasu-ness is proof enough that they are doing better than most asian countries.
Brunei is the only country thats as prosperous as SG and its run by a monarchy
Brunei isn't even on the list of not listed Countries :???: strange! Or maybe my eyes are failing me.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 May 2011 3:16 pm

xtasy010 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As a home owner in the newly lost GRC, Aljunied, I'll be letting you all know how things have changed in coming months. It will be interesting to watch the gradual decline in services in our estates as existing contracts with the town councils expire and have to be renegotiated for less money, e.g., less services as the new town councils will have their budgets sharply curtailed. We've been told that lift upgrading will continue because the utilities have already been rerouted, but actually lift construction, aside from surveyor marks hasn't actually started yet. Same with the entire precinct upgrade (7.5 m) of which I am on the original steering committee (I'm also on the Lift upgrading steering committee).
I was relieved to find out that due to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries my block has shifted from Aljunied to AMK GRC.

Though it is sad that the "Remaking Our Heartland" programme for Hougang, which included a mega mall and other developments, will surely be put on hold since the area now comes under the opposition.
Shame people just shrug off such a gerrymandering and bullying government like it is just one of those things

But they do say you become inured to bullying over time

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 08 May 2011 4:03 pm

JR8 wrote: Shame people just shrug off such a gerrymandering and bullying government like it is just one of those things

But they do say you become inured to bullying over time
Gee .. are you serious ??

This is Asia, and Singapore is probably at the least in terms of bullying .. compared to other asian nations - where opposition run states and wards get almost ZERO benefits .. and it is worse if the minority parties are not in the coalition .. If this was another asian country, none of the express ways will reach the opposition area, and none of the lift upgrading would even be contemplated ..

Atleast in Singapore, the overall development is not stopped .. and that, my friend, is political posturing ..

Again, just head up north, and you will see how the opposition run states fare .. and Singapore is not so discriminatory ..

PS: as for the closed station in NEL- the opening was stopped due to insufficient traffic, and not because of the opposition .. if i recall correctly ..

And on for 'signs of democracy' compared to 10 years ago, MM says Singapore is much prepared to face the world, and if Singapore was not ruled with an iron fist, it maybe another stinking backwater hamlet .. proof ?? Just head up north (Again) and see how free the northerners are .. and how much of crime, rapes, murders, drug dealing, etc. etc happens ....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 May 2011 4:16 pm

Brah wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll be interested to see if the PAP DOES take the hint and continues to sharply curtail foreign talent (talented or otherwise).
I was never sure of what that unfortunate term actually meant.

Does it refer to underpaid Burmese and PRC men riding dangerously and degradingly in pickup truck beds, performing backbreaking and dangerous work which no one else wants to do, living in filthy compounds, discriminated by many, while living far from their loved ones,

or if it implies the textbook whinging, corpulent and overpaid Westerners on full expat deals which include premium housing, expensive club memberships, car allowances and the like, that everyone likes to hate,

or it if refers to foreigners living here on local packages, also far from their loved ones back home, on modest salaries with few benefits and no company subsidies, paying a relatively high cost of living on a currency weaker than back home, and for some being double-taxed, in a less career-enriching environment that operates at a slower pace and with more limited promotional potential,

or, all of the above.

As one of the latter contingent, I can't help but think if the government decide to start 'curtailing' what companies have poured great time, effort and money into building up their Singapore offices, often while 'offshoring' staff from home offices to here, that these companies will start looking elsewhere. And the economic impact that will have for Singapore.

Actually it's kinda academic anyway, as Singapore has become too expensive for what was once considered a lower-cost alternative, and I predict that over the next 4-5 years that many MNCs will slowly decrease their emphasis on Singapore in favor of other locales, and then start migrating out to them. In some cases it's already begun.
Brah,

If you've been following my posts and also on facebook, you would have notice that that has been a recurring theme of mine. And I'm afraid it's "all of the above" depending on which segment of the population you are speaking to at the time.

WIMH, your ideological bent is admirable, but just what if, because the PM looked soooo smug even with a only 60% majority (a loss of 15 or 16% of eligible voters) thinks he can still, with a 2/3's majority, run the country as he sees fit. If that is the case and this curtailing of FT or Not so Talented, but due the the fact that there are NOT enough Singaporeans, full stop, to keep the engines of MNC and Regional MNC's like KepFels and others going, what's going to happen here? the MNC's are gonna leave to countries that CAN supply the labour. You worry about a "home" instead of a "house". I worry that my predictions here of a couple years go will come true. This economic miracle, which cannot be called a country because there is no way to survive as a country (without any resources whatsoever), but as a corporation with the ability to turn on a dime to changing external stimuli, will slowly and then rapidly be in an ever decreasing tailspin back to something akin the the backwater it used to be 40 years ago. Not in infrastructure but in economies. GDP? Without GDP or nataural resources, what is going to supply this country? Exaggeration? Yes. Possibility to be left behind as all the neignbours catch up wile Singapore spends her time in "discussions" with opposition. Likely. (which, due to the twin wins of the WP will act like a magnet for the next election - but doubtful after than as the damage will already have been done - and the worked so hard for reputation for investment by MNCs eliminated). When that happens, will you own up to your nephews that you were partly responsible for the trigger of the decline of this little red dot?

Oh, around a third of the population voted for the opposition regardless of the wards, and regardless of the quality of the opposition. What does that say. Sure, credentials plays 'some' part but, obviously across the island, it didn't if fully a third of the population voted for opposition members while only 2 managed to win. Considering most of the members were jokes, it's very scary. Gen Y may have a lot to answer for in the future.
How would they know if the current gubment is corrupt, who is going to tell them?

There is no opposition, to act as a check and balance.
There is no free media.
There is no concept of investigative journalism.
JR8, Today, with the social media and other internet sources, they have to self police and I think they do a reasonably good job of it. In fact, they have done so even before the advent of the social media. That is why the population was so afraid, because they were adept and ferreting out information like the stasi were. And they've always jealously protected anything that might resemble a taint on the party. And that has been both within and without the party.

Today the Social Media is more than adequate unless there is a viable opposition. Time will tell if that's going to be the case here. If we had to lose a GRC or a couple of seats to the opposition, I have to admit that it would have been the best that WP did win as with few notable exceptions, the other opposition parties were bereft of anything credible. Some were riding on the backs of their parents only and not on their own credibility.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 08 May 2011 5:38 pm

Brah wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll be interested to see if the PAP DOES take the hint and continues to sharply curtail foreign talent (talented or otherwise).
I was never sure of what that unfortunate term actually meant.

Does it refer to underpaid Burmese and PRC men riding dangerously and degradingly in pickup truck beds, performing backbreaking and dangerous work which no one else wants to do, living in filthy compounds, discriminated by many, while living far from their loved ones,

or if it implies the textbook whinging, corpulent and overpaid Westerners on full expat deals which include premium housing, expensive club memberships, car allowances and the like, that everyone likes to hate,

or it if refers to foreigners living here on local packages, also far from their loved ones back home, on modest salaries with few benefits and no company subsidies, paying a relatively high cost of living on a currency weaker than back home, and for some being double-taxed, in a less career-enriching environment that operates at a slower pace and with more limited promotional potential,

or, all of the above.

As one of the latter contingent, I can't help but think if the government decide to start 'curtailing' what companies have poured great time, effort and money into building up their Singapore offices, often while 'offshoring' staff from home offices to here, that these companies will start looking elsewhere. And the economic impact that will have for Singapore.

Actually it's kinda academic anyway, as Singapore has become too expensive for what was once considered a lower-cost alternative, and I predict that over the next 4-5 years that many MNCs will slowly decrease their emphasis on Singapore in favor of other locales, and then start migrating out to them. In some cases it's already begun.

It started years ago in banking. The view on the street was, and still is to some extent, Singapore is too expensive to house anything that doesn't drive profit such as middle and back office operations namely because of rising property rents in the CBD, and the staff are lazy, disloyal thus driving up staffing costs. Hence why you see at the moment a short term fix and many operations shifting to Changi or out of town.

The next 'cost saving centre' was going to be NZ as it had the infrastructure and legislation in place. However, the earthquake put pay to that plan. The Philippines is always in the mix and some banks use it quite heavily, but the turnover tends to be extremely high and it has issues with corruption.

I hear Indonesia is going to be next on the list and feature as the next big cost saving centre over the coming 2-3 years, and that includes some Banks shifting chunks of their operations from the U.S and Europe.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 08 May 2011 6:22 pm

To all forumers that has contributed to this thread, I applaud and salute you. !!

Like the word of Mel Gibson in Braveheart before he was sentenced to death.

" FREEDOM !!!!"

To George Yeo ; you were promised but not fulfill

To Zainul Abdul Rasheed ; Never forget you are a Malay and a Muslim

To Mrs Lim ; You were never a politician

To Aljunied GRC ; The people forgives but never forgets

To Chiam See Tong ; I take my hats to you.

To Low Thia Kiang ; Long live democracy !!!

To sum it up, sometimes what is best for the country does not necessarily best for the people
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Sun, 08 May 2011 8:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:due the the fact that there are NOT enough Singaporeans, full stop, to keep the engines of MNC and Regional MNC's like KepFels and others going, what's going to happen here? the MNC's are gonna leave to countries that CAN supply the labour. You worry about a "home" instead of a "house". I worry that my predictions here of a couple years go will come true. This economic miracle, which cannot be called a country because there is no way to survive as a country (without any resources whatsoever), but as a corporation with the ability to turn on a dime to changing external stimuli, will slowly and then rapidly be in an ever decreasing tailspin back to something akin the the backwater it used to be 40 years ago. Not in infrastructure but in economies. GDP? Without GDP or nataural resources, what is going to supply this country? Exaggeration? Yes. Possibility to be left behind as all the neignbours catch up wile Singapore spends her time in "discussions" with opposition.
While I don't know follow Singaporean politics it seems to me a good number of Singaporeans are in the process of digging their own grave. I often quotes from Singaporeans bemoaning the prescence of foreign talent which they justify by complaining it 'deprives them of job opportunities' but I fail to see how. Foreign talent doesn't get in without relevant skills or experience or a lack of available local labour. Add to this Singaporeans too often 'turn their noses up' at certain types of labour the way many Chinese for example do in the UK. Perhaps people are just desperate for a change, which may in part be inspired by the use of the Internet which is not all together unjustified but the consequences are what are needed to be examined in more detail than they appear to be. :-
Apologies if this has already been said as I haven't read the whole thread, this link may interest some;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC-BBI5r ... r_embedded

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 May 2011 9:18 pm

xtasy010 wrote: I was relieved to find out that due to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries my block has shifted from Aljunied to AMK GRC.

It is sad that the PAP are so immature that they behave like a spurned and spiteful teenager.

SG can move on politically when the PAP grow up and behave like adults.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 May 2011 10:20 pm

JR8 wrote:
xtasy010 wrote: I was relieved to find out that due to the redrawing of the electoral boundaries my block has shifted from Aljunied to AMK GRC.

It is sad that the PAP are so immature that they behave like a spurned and spiteful teenager.

SG can move on politically when the PAP grow up and behave like adults.
Actually, they do exactly the same damned thing the US does just prior to the elections. Not an iota of difference. The pretext that the demographic population densities have changed is a crock of crap but it is the same story that they use in the cities in the US as well. I reckon most countries that actually have a "voting" mechanism have some way to re-align the voting districts prior to an election. Ultimately, it will eventually have a backlash, as has been shown here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 May 2011 10:57 pm

In the UK electoral boundaries get redrawn but not that often. The idea being to keep the number of electors in each constituency about equal.

I know for example that just for the Conservatives to get the same number of seats (MPs) as Labour in the last election they had to poll something like 8% more votes nationally. Yes you read that right. The boundaries are long overdue an overhaul as you might surmise!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Sun, 08 May 2011 11:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:WIMH, your ideological bent is admirable
Well, half my countrymen get criticised for being kiasu and materialistic, and the other half gets chided for being ideological and unrealistic. We can't win, can we? My conclusion is that human nature is the same everywhere and it is as impossible to stop posters here from constantly finding fault with Singaporeans no matter how wonderful we are, as it is to stop Singaporeans from constantly finding fault with the government no matter how good it is :D

It's kinda a nice change that I'm the one now being critical of the country and so many people are jumping to its defence. I should have played to this contrarian instinct a long time ago!