Singapore Expats

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 May 2011 1:24 pm

My 2 cents, post some pow-wow yesterday night with a few local friends.

They are more of thinking of 'change' and not in the sense of throwing PAP out - as some here seem to advocate (apologies if I misread them .. )

They are going on to quote a lot of countries, where over a period of time, with the constant change, the ruling party has been in power, by being voted in .. ex: India .. for a long time India Congress was in power by constantly evolving, and the brief stint of the opposition didn't help only to solidify the point that AIC is the best .. of the crappy lot ..

Well, now with the regional power players it has changed ..

And that is what my friends are asking .. change, but not meaning change the party .. and a known devil is better than any unkown ghosts ..

+ playing safe .. etc. etc.

And story in the street is the anti-foreigner campaign probably helped PAP, as a fair chunk of voters were foreigners .. and despite all talk, not many have forgotten the Guerilla antics of CSJ .. the educated and those with proper moral compass say don't need civil disobedience .. a-la Yemen, or Libya or such places ..

PS: a story I heard, from a coffee shop beer mate: dunno how much of it is true .. apparently his uncle had been working with MM and on retirement, had crossed paths with MM, and when told that he is retiring, MM had said "ah, so your time is up .. " .. you can draw any conclusion from that ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 May 2011 1:35 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
x9200 wrote:On top of this, maybe I will give again not enough credit to your countrymen but I still do not think the majority realize how all this can affect the materialistic part of their being.
We are probably among the most materialistic voters in the world. I know people who voted PAP simply because they did not want to lose out on upgrading. How much more materialistic can you get? Many others voted PAP because they know the economy is doing well and they don't want to rock the boat. So I can assure you that materialistic considerations rank high in the average Singaporean's decision-making process. It's just that a small but growing minority has just decided that some things matter more than material well-being.

Am I wrong or you have just contradicted yourself from the earlier post? Hey, this was me how supposed to say this!

On the macroeconomic level, how many people in any country understand how an economy really works? The fact that our political leaders, supported by a very competent civil service, run a successful economy suggest that despite our small size, the proportion of people who understand macroeconomics is relatively large compared to other countries.

This is not necessarily correct: another option is that there is an environment created so they can run something successfully with a relative ease.

Perhaps you should explain to me why you think so little of the average Singaporean voter. On what basis do you form your opinions? I've given you my rationale for my view. What's yours?

It is in the bold face above, inside your text. Actually I used in this thread first my country to point out this basic weakness, not yours.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 09 May 2011 1:55 pm

x9200 wrote:Am I wrong or you have just contradicted yourself from the earlier post?
Here you ask about the majority of voters, so I speak about them. Earlier you asked about my personal position so I explained that. I obviously belong to the minority. Where is the contradiction?
x9200 wrote:how many people in any country understand how an economy really works?
And so this is a reason to not allow voting and eschew democracy?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 09 May 2011 2:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:PS: as for the closed station in NEL- the opening was stopped due to insufficient traffic, and not because of the opposition .. if i recall correctly ..
It's so nice when someone believes the propaganda :) Based on that logic many other stations should also be closed.
ecureilx wrote:They are more of thinking of 'change' and not in the sense of throwing PAP out - as some here seem to advocate
Nail on head.
ecureilx wrote:PS: a story I heard, from a coffee shop beer mate: dunno how much of it is true .. apparently his uncle had been working with MM and on retirement, had crossed paths with MM, and when told that he is retiring, MM had said "ah, so your time is up .. " .. you can draw any conclusion from that ..
LKY has often said when you retire you die. That's why he will never retire. Research does suggest that physical and mental health start declining upon retirement.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 May 2011 2:34 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
ecureilx wrote:PS: a story I heard, from a coffee shop beer mate: dunno how much of it is true .. apparently his uncle had been working with MM and on retirement, had crossed paths with MM, and when told that he is retiring, MM had said "ah, so your time is up .. " .. you can draw any conclusion from that ..
LKY has often said when you retire you die. That's why he will never retire. Research does suggest that physical and mental health start declining upon retirement.
Logan's run much?

Some people retire from their jobs so they can do what they've always wanted to do.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 09 May 2011 3:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:LKY has often said when you retire you die. That's why he will never retire. Research does suggest that physical and mental health start declining upon retirement.
Logan's run much?

Some people retire from their jobs so they can do what they've always wanted to do.
No contradiction between the two views :) and I have nothing against retirement.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 May 2011 3:38 pm

nakatago wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:I just read the news today and quoted

In his first, albeit indirect, comments about the results of Saturday's General Election, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew said at a community event in Tanglin Halt last night that "2011 has seen a generation that does not remember from whence we came, but that is to be expected. But I do, and those amongst you who are over 50 will remember".

What a piece of C**P coming from him. The one that shifted the balance in Aljuined is the above 50s not the younger generation.
As I have said before what happened in 2006 will always be remembered. The people of Aljunied forgives but never forgets.
Is it so wrong for me to think that despite this man's ability and intelligence that he, apparently, is so full of himself? His hubris blinds him.
+1

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 May 2011 3:42 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote: LKY has often said when you retire you die. That's why he will never retire. Research does suggest that physical and mental health start declining upon retirement.
I guess the way they recipient took it was like he was told "oh, you are retiring ? so go away .. " with no showering of LOVE :D :D hence the comment ..

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 May 2011 4:42 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
x9200 wrote:how many people in any country understand how an economy really works?
And so this is a reason to not allow voting and eschew democracy?
No it is not. I mentioned all the reasons earlier a number of times and I guess you can dig them very easily out.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 09 May 2011 5:28 pm

nakatago wrote:
Logan's run much?.
"Soylent Green is people!"
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 09 May 2011 5:40 pm

darpy wrote:a couple of thoughts/comments I have garnished from this thread:

2. y.with regards to the election, a lot of comments here regarding the quality of the government appear to miss the point, and exhibit the one eyed ignorance consistent with over paid foreigners in this country Not everything is about money and I suggest (as some have already) the vote was the result of a significant amount of people (1/3 of the population) reminding the government that their arrogance can be curtailed. Yes we can cite examples in neighbouring countries where the situation is worse, but that doesn't make it better.
Seriously , are you implying that most of the regulars here are overpaid FTs??.Just stop and think for a second before you assume this
You have to do better than that with your garnishing as it is becoming over crowded on your plate!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 09 May 2011 5:45 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
darpy wrote:a couple of thoughts/comments I have garnished from this thread:

2. y.with regards to the election, a lot of comments here regarding the quality of the government appear to miss the point, and exhibit the one eyed ignorance consistent with over paid foreigners in this country Not everything is about money and I suggest (as some have already) the vote was the result of a significant amount of people (1/3 of the population) reminding the government that their arrogance can be curtailed. Yes we can cite examples in neighbouring countries where the situation is worse, but that doesn't make it better.
Seriously , are you implying that most of the regulars here are overpaid FTs??.Just stop and think for a second before you assume this
You have to do better than that with your garnishing as it is becoming over crowded on your plate!!
Oh how I wish I were overpaid... :(
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 09 May 2011 8:11 pm

Here's a well-written and insightful article by Catherine Lim on the real significance of this election. I hope that X9200 will one day, like her, know that he was wrong about Singaporeans :)

Many posters here don't realise it yet, but we on the ground know that with this election, something fundamental has changed in Singapore.

http://catherinelim.sg/2011/05/09/how-g ... lly-wrong/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 May 2011 8:16 pm

nakatago wrote: Oh how I wish I were overpaid... :(
ME too wish so ...

ten years plus here, and never ever was I even asked if I want 'expat terms' :( :(

How to get these overpaid and underworked jobs ?? :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 May 2011 8:59 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Here's a well-written and insightful article by Catherine Lim on the real significance of this election. I hope that X9200 will one day, like her, know that he was wrong about Singaporeans :)
W.I.M.H, the point you missed is that most of the time I was not really scoring Singaporeans but talking about some general behavior of the social groups and social responsibility of the elites. Hard to make it isolated from Singaporeans if the leitmotiv is GE in Singapore. On my side I hope one day you will be able to get it a bit more easy and not to assume that any possibly pejorative expression used in the same paragraph with Singapore or Singaporeans are to discredit or belittle your countrymen. I understand your reactions but this does not make you right and me wrong :) I hope to explain to you one day what I meant in less limiting environment. Peace? :)